Would you recommend using ART on the HTC One M8?

Deathunter-M8

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
For anyone who's been using art for a while, how do you find or on 4.4.4? I've tried it on and off in the past but whereas I always thought it was great on my nexus 5, I never felt it was fully ready on the one m8 and definitely felt beta. Wondered if they'd improved things on the latest update? Worth trying again?

Posted via the Android Central App
I changed my M8 runtime to Art back when it had 4.4.2 running on it. I didn't bother to switch back to Dalvik even after the 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 updates. So to be honest, I can't really say how it feels like, as I have nothing to compare it to.

Sent from my HTC One M8

johnmcc0710

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
For anyone who's been using art for a while, how do you find or on 4.4.4? I've tried it on and off in the past but whereas I always thought it was great on my nexus 5, I never felt it was fully ready on the one m8 and definitely felt beta. Wondered if they'd improved things on the latest update? Worth trying again?

I switched back from ART in 4.4.4 because Tapatalk kept giving me errors. I didn't do anything with high performance mode.

Super Dave426

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
So far I notice the phone is not as smooth as it was on Dalvik and I had to reboot a few times to clear it up. Also Facebook opens a lot slower and doesn't scroll smoothly.

I switched back and the phone is running so much better.

Last edited:

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
That echo's my previous experiences using it. Seems OK at first but then in reality you notice slow downs and jerkiness that leads to switching back to davlik. Strange because my Nexus 5, kit kat ran great on ART

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I found ART to be pretty bad on 4.4.4 and it really starts to show about three days in. It is pretty awesome on Lollipop GPE, though.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Yesterday (12/22), there appeared to be an update....

Some people report that this update has switch the phone to ART. That was not the case with me.

I updated and the phone was still on dalvik..... But i switched over to ART... Now it's wait and see how it works.

I had switched it to ART around 2 months ago, but most app's ran wonky. So, I switch back...

I guess maybe this time with the lollipop release and more app's are getting updated to run on ART, I can only hope for a smooth transition.

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
And... I have switched from ART back to dalvik... After getting the update .654 and running ART, it ran pretty smooth. After day 3, I started having issues.

guitarpete987

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I switched a few days ago. I have to agree with others here who note uneven performance. Some things are Sooo snappy. Even snappier than before. And the battery life is definitely improved. I'm ending the day with at least 15-20 percent more power than I'd have before. However, other things are not so rosy.

I've noticed that several apps load very slowly, and some like Facebook, the HTC camera and Evernote drag quite a bit. Thr HTC camera especially takes forever to save images and loads the gallery very slowly.

Perhaps worst of all is how sometimes when I wake the phone it slows to a near crawl for as long as a minute or two. For that span of time, every tap or action is delayed by as much as a second or two.

It makes the phone unusable. I have to reboot and everything is fine again.

I like ART. But right now there just too much that needs working out.

spewak

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Ran on ART for about four days and just this morning noticed some wonky behaviour with regards to some apps. At boot, popup notification indicating "Updating Android" for one of one app and then some notifications of apps stopping. Switched back to Dalvik and so far same old snappy phone sans app errors.

Super Dave426

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
My phone switched to ART with the latest software update and so far it seems OK. There are some stutters once in a while but not like before. When I switched on my own it took between 5 and 10 minutes, this update was quick. Guess they're getting the OS ready for Lollipop, which I presume will run entirely on ART.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I have to admit I am not too keen on getting Lollipop, or ART for that matter! I have been reading around the WEB and there are still some major and minor bugs that need to be worked out completely before I make the leap. Right now my M8 is running like no other phone I have ever had before. In other words it is running great! I use and need this thing to run great every day. In fact, I have not updated any of my Google Apps (like Gmail, Maps, and ESPECIALLY Calendar) because the updates to Material Design STINK in my opinion. So, if the Lollipop update reflects this candy-cane look and feel, with the same performance as the updated apps...then I do not want it or ART at all. I am tired of updates making my expensive phone not work as well as it did out of the box. My greatest fear is that if I take the upgrade that it will automatically upgrade my other Google apps and then I will not be able to go back to earlier versions, even though the APK's are available for older versions. My $0.02

whitelunchbag

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I have to admit I am not too keen on getting Lollipop, or ART for that matter! I have been reading around the WEB and there are still some major and minor bugs that need to be worked out completely before I make the leap. Right now my M8 is running like no other phone I have ever had before. In other words it is running great! I use and need this thing to run great every day. In fact, I have not updated any of my Google Apps (like Gmail, Maps, and ESPECIALLY Calendar) because the updates to Material Design STINK in my opinion. So, if the Lollipop update reflects this candy-cane look and feel, with the same performance as the updated apps...then I do not want it or ART at all. I am tired of updates making my expensive phone not work as well as it did out of the box. My greatest fear is that if I take the upgrade that it will automatically upgrade my other Google apps and then I will not be able to go back to earlier versions, even though the APK's are available for older versions. My $0.02

Cool, you should post this in some more threads!

My M8 posted this