Would you recommend using ART on the HTC One M8?

anon(604250)

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I tried my M8 with ART for a couple weeks, then switched back. My battery life is somewhat better, and app performance has evened out (the faster ones are a tad slower, the slower ones are more responsive). I'll wait until ART is the default before using it again.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I swapped back because the current AC Forums app crashes constantly and thought this was the culprit. Even on Dalvik, it still crashed. Otherwise I'm not seeing much difference in performance and just installed an older version of the forums from a backup that works.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I tried it and switched back beacause I had several problems, it seems it´s still in a beta stage. I think I will wait until it´s official. The phone is pretty snappy as it is.

Tricciox

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
After a month, I switched back. ART felt a little snappier, maybe, but, I had some booting errors, and a few apps wouldn't work such as Polaris Office 5 and WPS Office (Formerly Kingsoft) didn't work. Switched back and they work again...

OK thanks buddy, this is the post I was looking for on internet! Yes I had the same issue you described because of ART. This makes me crazy for a week because from day 2 I switched to ART which in my perspective is snappier with smoother effects.
Now I have done a factory reset so I came back to Dalvik and I have no issue during boot and error report generated!

Another important thing is I have the Asia Edition so I believe we have the same model. Probably on this model ART is not so optimized or has some issues with HTC apps pre-installed.

I heard rumors about a new update , KK 4.4.3/4.4.4, is on the corner and probably we will get it within the weekend.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
ART works by expanding the files during install or converts during start up (which is why its taken 15 minutes for some people), but I'm wondering if its really compressing them when someone goes back to Dalvik (since SuperDave said it only took 2 minutes). Anyone know for sure that the file sizes are back to the original size after switching back? (Maybe files are being left in the expanded state, so people might get a mix of file states and faster speeds after reversion).

henryfool3

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Been using it a few days now. Haven't had too many issues. It may be a bit snappier. Battery might be a tad better as well. But I wouldn't say for certain.

Some apps actually may take a bit longer to open. Like Facebook. But so far not enough of an issue to make me switch back.

Posted via Android Central App

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I wonder if it would be worth compiling a list here of what apps people think are faster, slower, or don't work after switching to ART. That might help people determine if they want to try ART (in its current stage) or not. It would probably be best to start the list with the apps that come pre-installed on HTC One M8s (which could vary some what depending on what version of m8 a person owns and what carrier he/she uses).

I for one don't use facebook, so that is of no consequence to me. Based on that I might be the type of user who would decide to try it.

Anyone currently with an HTC One M8 feel like starting a list?

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
has anyone tried using ART since the 4.4.3 update?
wanna know if it might be a little more stable since then.

I can't speak for version 4.4.3 since Verizon still hasn't distributed a version newer than 4.4.2.

I got my HTC One m8 yesterday (Sunday), and spent half the day using it with Dalvik. I've now used ART for a day and a half, and I haven't noticed any problems with any of the apps I've used. Apps launched quick before, and continue to do so now. I'd only used Dalvik for half a day before switching, so I can't compare pre and post battery life. Given that it has less work to do (now that it doesn't need to expand apps) I'd expect battery life to have improved.

Last edited:

HighOnHops

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I switched to ART right after I got the device. It seemed to work well for some time, but after a while, I would get slow response at times. Things like delay to get the screen to turn on, and other general lag at times. Probably due to some app issue with ART, so switched back. Since switching back, all lag issues have stopped.

Extradition

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I tried it this week, found it very very slow surprisingly! I'm not sure if it's the sense software, but the phone was seriously laggy. Switched back after 5 or so days.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I switched to ART right after I got the device. It seemed to work well for some time, but after a while, I would get slow response at times. Things like delay to get the screen to turn on, and other general lag at times. Probably due to some app issue with ART, so switched back. Since switching back, all lag issues have stopped.
It could be an app issue like you're assuming, or it could be one (or more) of the services you have running in the background. I've been using ART for over a week now, and everything is still just as fast and without lag as when I started using ART.

I tried it this week, found it very very slow surprisingly! I'm not sure if it's the sense software, but the phone was seriously laggy. Switched back after 5 or so days.
I doubt the Sense software has anything to do with it. If Sense was the problem everyone (who hasn't changed their launcher,etc) would encounter the slowness right away. I haven't changed from Sense, I'm still without lag, so its highly likely that your app(s) or service(s) are the cause of your lag.

For reference here is what is shown as running on my phone in App manager:

Settings, smartcard service, google play services, htc serrvice pack, speak, cloud (but nothing is set to sync for it), message+, my infozone, verizon support & protect, google search, verizon location agent, kid mode, and htc sense input. Therefore those can be ruled out as issues.

Last edited:

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Just switched to ART last night. And added High Perfoamce Mode. Everything VERY snappy. No problems yet. Even Instagram works fine.

Posted via Android Central App

AnimalMotherASF

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Art users, this thread isnold but I wanted to know updates about art. Is it official yet? Will it replace dalvik?

Does the hi performance mode significantly drain battery?

Deathunter-M8

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Art users, this thread isnold but I wanted to know updates about art. Is it official yet? Will it replace dalvik?

Does the hi performance mode significantly drain battery?
I think ART is official on Android 5.0 Lollipop, but I still didn't got the update on my M8, I hope it will be pushed soon.

Using the high performance mode will take the phone operation to the maximum at full time, so yes, if you activated that mode you will experience a faster battery drainage, and you might even experience an overheat issue.

Sent from my HTC One M8

AnimalMotherASF

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I think ART is official on Android 5.0 Lollipop, but I still didn't got the update on my M8, I hope it will be pushed soon.

Using the high performance mode will take the phone operation to the maximum at full time, so yes, if you activated that mode you will experience a faster battery drainage, and you might even experience an overheat issue.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Awesome thanks again!

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
For anyone who's been using art for a while, how do you find or on 4.4.4? I've tried it on and off in the past but whereas I always thought it was great on my nexus 5, I never felt it was fully ready on the one m8 and definitely felt beta. Wondered if they'd improved things on the latest update? Worth trying again?

Posted via the Android Central App