How to fix HTC One M8 camera issue

AcEXBOX

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
My original M8 suffered from the infamous cloudy camera. I got it replaced by T-Mobile, and it's been maybe three months now and the replacement M8 did the same. My buddies M8 started to do the same thing about a month ago, and he used Zaino Wax to buff out the camera cloudyness away.

I noticed yesterday that mine was doing the same thing again when I tried to take a picture and it wasn't focusing. Tried to clean it, and at first I just thought it was dirty. Picture wasn't important, so I ignored it. Then last night I went to get a drink with a buddy of mine, and tried to take a picture, and the camera wasn't focusing. Tried to clean it again, and that's when I noticed the cloudy camera again.

So I woke up this morning, found some turtle wax, put some on a terry cloth, rubbed a little on the lens, let it dry for a couple of minutes, and then buffed it off. Sure enough, it started to take some of the cloudyness away. So I did it again about three more times, and now the cloudyness is down to the edges. I was excited that it worked, that I ran over to my laptop to make this thread.

I was thinking about getting another replacement, but this is a better alternative for me. I don't want to be setting up my phone all over again every few months for the same issue.

This is what I used.

Turtle_Wax_T-123R_16_Oz_Super_Hard_Shell_Car_Wax.jpg

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That is a nice trick... but IMHO, don't risk it. If it's defective, it's defective. Just get it replaced. Yes, it's the pain of setting up a new device (which, if you back up everything with Google, even settings should port over), but you also get the 'new device' feeling all over again ;)

dyphx

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it's defective, it's a design or manufacturing issue. The trouble with replacing it is the next one will eventually develop the same problem. Plus, you're likely to get a refurbished phone which could have it's own issues. Better to just clean the coating off the lens, IMO.

That is a nice trick... but IMHO, don't risk it. If it's defective, it's defective. Just get it replaced. Yes, it's the pain of setting up a new device (which, if you back up everything with Google, even settings should port over), but you also get the 'new device' feeling all over again ;)

BB_Junky

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Ya wow, so many people now a days don't or can't take matters into their own hands to fix something or find a solution to a simple problem. I'm a hands on guy, I fix my own truck, and motorbike, my boat... I would be sitting here with nothing if I did nothing but send stuff back that didn't make me happy or had a easy fix fault.
For the camera lens.. Great job on using turtle wax... Myself I just used toothpaste and qtip... Pictures are perfect and clear again and I never once called HTC to complain in the process.

mbpstar

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Do not use toothpaste method. Magic eraser works amazing in one minute. Use a dab of water with the sponge.

Posted via Android Central App

Mariella Dimopoulos

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
Just tried the toothpaste way.

This happened to my Samsung s2 as well and I thought it was camera failure. The s2 had a slightly protruding camera which is why it was so easily damaged. The m8's camera is similar, almost flush with the body... So if you don't have a case on the phone, it will scrape as you place it on a table repeatedly... Seems logical enough. But HTC should have identified this issue when designing. Sure, it's a beautiful body, but impractical. Especially when you really want to take a picture and the camera looks like a 1megapixel from back in the day. I will flag this as a design issue with HTC.

Anyway, toothpaste worked a treat. Can'tseem to post the pictures but i did a before and after and am very impressed with the results. Thanks guys.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The m8's camera is similar, almost flush with the body... So if you don't have a case on the phone, it will scrape as you place it on a table repeatedly...

A case doesn't seem to help. Several people in the main lens issue thread reported having cases on it and still getting the scratches. Same with mine.

Dumb1

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I just got the notification today that my device is shipping back to me. If this one does the same thing then I'll bust out Zaino or brasso. Such a shame this phones camera is like it is I love everything else about it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non