Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default screen off gesture tip

This may be common knowledge as it s something I've been using on my nexus 5 for some time and now using it on my m8. Thought I'd provide the tip if anyone doesn't know about it.

Install the app screen off and lock and activate it. Then swipe up the home button to get Google now. You'll now be given the choice of Google now or screen off and lock. Select screen off and lock then always. Now whenever you swipe up the home button the screen will switch off. Added to the built in gestures to wake the screen I pretty much never need to use the sleep wake button.

Obviously you loose access to Google now from this short cut but I just add a home screen widget which works fine

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: screen off gesture tip

I used Knock Lock on mine and found it works fantastically. The free version is good, but for a dollar you can open up a few additional nice features that really help. I find that it works even better on my M8 than the knock off feature on the G2 that I had several months ago. Combined with the built in gestures to turn the M8 on, I have found I only very rarely use the power button anymore.

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by matchtrader2000 View Post
    I used Knock Lock on mine and found it works fantastically. The free version is good, but for a dollar you can open up a few additional nice features that really help.
    What is the floating knock lock? I can't tell from the description. Not sure if I should upgrade or not.

Thanks for the tip. Pretty cool. I had been using knock lock (worked great) but like the home menu swipe a little better. Floating knock lock is a little area that you can adjust in size and move around on your screen that you can double tap to lock your phone. I liked it, but its hard to find places on your screen that you can put it without it interfering with your phone use (you basically can't use that small part of your screen and it can cause problems with keyboarding, etc) the best place I found was up in the notification bar, but that is a little too far up the screen for the the way I hold the phone. The home button is a lot more accessible for me.

Quote Originally Posted by allroy75 View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Pretty cool. I had been using knock lock (worked great) but like the home menu swipe a little better. Floating knock lock is a little area that you can adjust in size and move around on your screen that you can double tap to lock your phone. I liked it, but its hard to find places on your screen that you can put it without it interfering with your phone use (you basically can't use that small part of your screen and it can cause problems with keyboarding, etc) the best place I found was up in the notification bar, but that is a little too far up the screen for the the way I hold the phone. The home button is a lot more accessible for me.
    I use the "Snap to side" option which allows the space to stick halfway along the side of the device and virtually completely out of the way. Works great.

I put it on my clock. Never had issues since then.