Has anyone regretted upgrading from the M7 to the M8?

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I love my M7 but can basically upgrade for free as I can get the M8 now with renewed contract for $100 and sell my mint M7 for at least that much.

I wonder if anyone regrets upgrading and if so, why?

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
My wife has the m7 and I have the m8..she is perfectly happy with her phone and didn't want the m8 when she had the chance last month.

If you are satisfied with it why not wait and see if the next one is better for you...?

Posted via Android Central App on my HTC M8

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I was pretty happy with the M7 and I upgraded to the M8 around five days ago and have never looked back. I gave my M7 to my Mom and I must say that I am LOVING the M8. One of the biggest advantages for me is the biggest screen on the M8; although the difference between 4.7" and 5.0" isn't that huge (especially considering phablets like the S5 or the Note), it still makes a huge difference to me not only because of the size itself but also because of the clarity. What differentiates HTC than any other Android phone to me is not only build quality but also screen clarity and colors, which are all just stunning.

The camera is a huge improvement as well because I had the purple tint on my M7's camera and it was extremely annoying and the dealership wanted a lot of money to fix it.

Another improvement is obviously the speed and multi-tasking - although the M7 does an amazing job considering it is a nearly 2-year old phone when it comes to performance, multi-tasking, gaming, and such, the M8 is just that much snappier and faster and I immediately noticed it out of the box.

And then comes one of the most important things for me - battery life. The battery life on the M8 is much better than it was on the M7 for me, and that's a huge advantage as I don't always have the option of charging the device when I am outside (which is quite frequently).

And last but not least BoomSound is actually pretty good and I have not regretted it although a lot of reviews said that Beats Audio was better (I honestly don't see it that way at all, and trust me I am not biased I LOVE my M7).

If you aren't that excited for the M8 and you don't see that it's a huge leap from the M7 then don't upgrade and wait for a newer HTC device to come out(M8 Prime? M9? Who knows).

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I had the M7 last year and am glad I got the M8.

It's better in every respect. Faster, better cameras, speakers better and louder, better build etc. Though I can see people who are already satisfied with the M7 wouldn't see any reason to upgrade, and I'd completely understand that. Nothing wrong with the M7, it's a great phone.

The question is, do you want an upgraded M7? If not, then don't get the M8. If you do, then get it. As you said you can buy it for $100 and then sell your M7 which will definitely fetch more than $100.

Up to you.

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Like Nike says, Just Do It!. You Will wonder why you waited so long! I had the M7 and sold it for $290 on eBay! I loved the M7, but one I had this thing in my hands, the M7 just felt......dated! Remember.....Nike!

Posted via Android Central App

mlynch01

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I upgraded from the M7 and haven't looked back. Improvements were made to every aspect of the phone. Even though the camera specs are the same it is step up from what I experienced with my M7 and I didn't have the purple tint. Also I didn't realize how much I missed the micro sd slot, very happy to have the 64gb of space available to me on my microSD card.

Posted via the Android Central App

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I was pretty happy with the M7 and I upgraded to the M8 around five days ago and have never looked back. I gave my M7 to my Mom and I must say that I am LOVING the M8. One of the biggest advantages for me is the biggest screen on the M8; although the difference between 4.7" and 5.0" isn't that huge (especially considering phablets like the S5 or the Note), it still makes a huge difference to me not only because of the size itself but also because of the clarity. What differentiates HTC than any other Android phone to me is not only build quality but also screen clarity and colors, which are all just stunning.

The camera is a huge improvement as well because I had the purple tint on my M7's camera and it was extremely annoying and the dealership wanted a lot of money to fix it.

Another improvement is obviously the speed and multi-tasking - although the M7 does an amazing job considering it is a nearly 2-year old phone when it comes to performance, multi-tasking, gaming, and such, the M8 is just that much snappier and faster and I immediately noticed it out of the box.

And then comes one of the most important things for me - battery life. The battery life on the M8 is much better than it was on the M7 for me, and that's a huge advantage as I don't always have the option of charging the device when I am outside (which is quite frequently).

And last but not least BoomSound is actually pretty good and I have not regretted it although a lot of reviews said that Beats Audio was better (I honestly don't see it that way at all, and trust me I am not biased I LOVE my M7).

If you aren't that excited for the M8 and you don't see that it's a huge leap from the M7 then don't upgrade and wait for a newer HTC device to come out(M8 Prime? M9? Who knows).

Thank you for your thorough reply but, frm what ive read, now that the buttons are on the screen, the screen is actually the same size as the M&.
Also, the screen is exactly the same if not inferior, as the dpi is lower.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your thorough reply but, frm what ive read, now that the buttons are on the screen, the screen is actually the same size as the M&.

You're not going to notice 28 PPI difference...

But you will notice the size increase when you watch content on the phone. The navigation buttons disappear off screen when you watch/read content, so the increased screen size is noticeable.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

As mentioned above, you'll not notice any difference but you will notice the larger screen for sure. Just as mentioned, the buttons disappear when watching a video or just running some full-screen media and apps (not all), but also if you go the custom ROM route (like I did with ViperOne ROM) you can actually set the buttons to only appear when you want them to therefore you get the full advantage of the screen and it's quite beautiful.

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
What about the camera?

I hear complaints about the OIS being done away with.
Overall has the camera been improved or is the above a significant loss?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
What about the camera?

Camera is better overall. It's a 4 'Ultra pixel' camera again, this time without OIS, however the sensor I believe is improved. Overall I'm getting better shots with the M8 easily over the M7.

M7, while good, I found had white balance issues and would blow out whites when there was something dark it tried to focus on. Whereas the M8 adjusts it much better. Not sure if it's just a better written algorithm, or if the new sensor helps it, but I get sharper, cleaner shots with less noise than I did with the M7.

Plus, some peple like to criticize the Ufocus, but I like it a lot. It's not best for every photo, but there are some photos where it really makes the image stand out.

jlarkins08

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I didn't regret the move at all. Upgraded to the M8 in June from the M7 and like you said "I don't need an upgrade I'll stick with my M7". Wound up trading it in and getting an M8 through my Jump program from T-MO and I love my decision. The M7 is a awesome device and the M8 just makes the experience even better, every feature is enhanced and improved. HTC did a amazing job with this M8 and I'm sure I'll be jumping to the M9 when released. HTC FTW!

Sent from my HTC One M8 via the UnCarrier

TriBeard92

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I moved from the m7 as well, and I don't regret it at all. The biggest difference for me is that the screen is a smidge wider, which helps with typing, the speakers are loud enough that I can listen to podcasts in the shower without a Bluetooth speaker, and most importantly the battery life is much better.

There's nothing wrong with the m7 though, and if I hadn't been moving from sprint to tmobile I would have kept that until the m9 and been just fine.

Posted via Android Central App

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
What about the camera?

I seem to remember reading that HTC's official statement on removing OIS was due to conflicts with the secondary depth sensor. So it sounds like they had to sacrifice it but probably didn't want to.

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I would believe that your M7 still doesn't lag or slow down? I would recommend keeping it as the M8 isn't such a massive difference. You also lose OIS in the camera.

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I have the M8 for over a month now and I'm loving it. However, I do miss my M7 as well as I was not planning on upgrading until my M7 took a swim and drowned.. :'(

My M7 (stealth black) was in perfect condition (still is), but it won't turn on. So all I can do now is enjoy the M8!.

Christopher Matthews Jr

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I had the M8 for a few weeks (sold it for a G3) but the few weeks I had it, was awesome. It was so snappy, and it never seemed to lag at all. Little too heavy for me, but was a joy to have. Great device.