Best phone ever: 3 problems...

AussieAndroid

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
It really has been the best phone I've ever had (and I've had A LOT). But there's a few things that have been bugging me.

1. When I open Chrome after a long time, I sometimes get a black page instead of the page that has the search bar plus recently visited sites. Can't do anything with the blank page apart from press the tab button, close it, and open a new tab. Also, again, if I haven't used Chrome in a while, it won't load a page until I multitask out and back in again, only then will it render the page.

2. How do I stop the Gallery from displaying the constant barrage of SkyDriveCacheFile_xxx.cachdata folders that get created?

3. I have a class 10 micro SD card, yet I can't get my camera to save photos to it. Well, to be more accurate, I can set it and it will work for a while, but at some point, I end up getting a message that says something along the lines of that my SD card is too slow and it's switching back to internal storage.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
1. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest version of Chrome? That fixed a lot of issues for me in the past.

2. I am not sure because I've never seen those. If you have it in Album mode, you can show/hide whichever album you like - I'm sure you'll find an option for SkyDrive data.

3. I recently purchased a 16GB class 10 Kingston MicroSD and it's working brilliantly. Not only are the transfer speeds amazing, but the camera is finally very quick again (unlike it was when I had an older, lower-class SD card). I would suggest backing up the data on your SD card and then formatting it from Settings -- Storage, maybe there's something wrong with the partition.

I wish I could help more but those are troubleshooting methods I'd take if I had the same problems.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I have the Chrome issue too. I haven't found a fix, but at least found at better way to handle it. For me, pressing the recent apps button to bring up the list and then going straight back into Chrome will let the page render without having to close the tabs and reloading everything.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
In SETTINGS-APPS try deleting the cache for Chrome. I think part of the issue is likely the voodoo HTC does with memory usage and putting apps to sleep. The older One X series phones and their multitasking issue, revised for the M8. Pretty sure this same feature is why Chromecast is so unreliable from an M8 compared to a Nexus. Basically, I think HTC is still tweaking how Android deals with sleeping apps to insure we see the performance we want and expect on the M8. I think the Chrome issue, and some other minor places, are the cost for that, and why you do not see this behavior so long as Chrome is the app that is open, or if you have not been away from it for long. As soon as it sleeps...

AussieAndroid

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
OK, just an update, I've sorted out one problem at least.
I've stopped the Gallery from picking up every single cached image I don't want :p

The key was that I've got apps writing to the SD Card for their storage. Since the SD card is pretty limited on this phone, this was causing write issues. I had to manually create a .nomedia file and put it in the android folder on the SD card and this magically got rid of all the crap in the Gallery! It wasn't easy though. Cos you can't directly write to the SD card via a file explorer app, I had to create .nomedia on the internal storage using a file explorer, then connect the phone to my computer and copy the .nomedia file to the SD card.

dlocks

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I also have the issue with Chrome. For me it happens after I click on a link from within Gmail.
My solution is to use Firefox as the default browser for Gmail only which allows me to use Chrome without having to go to recent apps and close everything.
Its really a pain in rear issue with Chrome but my workaround works for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer