Phone just turns off when battery low instead of shutdown

airtas

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering if it was ok that my HTC One just turns off instead of having a normal shut down.

When the battery goes low the phone will just turn off. I am used to other Android phones doing a shut down similar to how you manually shut a phone down.

airtas

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
so its not like a computer that just lost power with an improper shut down?
No damage is done to the phone, etc?
Just use to my old HTC or Samsungs that say powering off........then 10 seconds later turn off completely.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Well it's best that you don't run the battery down to the point where that happens, but no, should be fine. Very little chance of anything going wrong.
Even with a laptop when you run it down all the way you're rarely going to do any damage to anything. Sometimes you'll corrupt the OS on a laptop and have to run a repair utility, usually you'll just run the risk of losing whatever you were working on. But on a phone the danger of corruption is even lower than on a modern laptop.

hgmichna

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Let me revive this oldish thread. What has been written is a half-truth. It appears to be true that phones usually survive a hard power-off. However, this leaves the question why Android normally performs an orderly shutdown when the battery level reaches 0%. Obviously the Android authors aimed at preventing a hard power-off.

This also means that a phone that powers down hard without doing an orderly shutdown is defective. This seems to be a very widespread defect, because I have seen it in various phones.

My guess is that Android has battery management logic, but it is implemented very poorly. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I would like to know how the logic works. The fundamental problem is that the battery voltage is load-dependent, so the logic cannot simply trigger a shutdown depending on voltage. It could shut down when it detects a certain combination of voltage and current, but then it would make sense to derive the percentage display from these values also. If so, the phone could reliably shut down when reaching 0%. But many phones don't.

If anybody happens to really know, not just guess, how exactly it works, please respond.