Going to be honest - ive tried the HTC M8 but I'll be going back to the iPhone 5s :(

mikeyboy80

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
I've tried and tried with the M8, its looks sheer class, i even sold my iphone 6 for it cause i kept thinking i was going to always drop the iphone 6. The sound quality on the M8 is spectacular but Ive decided it's not for me for a number of reasons. Im not having a rant, just a bit gutted that i couldnt stick with it.

- The size! Honestly couldnt cope handling it. It was the same with the iphone 6. Too big i wanted something to use in one hand regularly.
- Texting - i miss the simplicity and speed of texting with the iphone. Also autocorrect. I downloaded swiftkey and it was ok but i kept making mistakes and sometimes the cursor would randomly move somewhere else. Took me longer sending a text to someone to the point of sometimes i would give up. I couldn't be bothered sending emails from the M8 and used a PC cause it would drive me mad making typos
- Notifications/lockscreen - Quite good actually with lollipop but i miss calendar events showing up on the lockscreen. Apparently these have now disappeared from lollipop. Gutted.
- Basic apps - apps like reminders, notepad, calculator just seem dead simple on the iphone. Maybe too simple. But it would work. Ive tried 3 different types of notepad apps for the m8 and i still wasn't too impressed. Maybe too much choice?
- Certain apps would seem to take longer to load on the m8 compared to the iphone. For one app, i had to refresh within the app cause the page wouldnt load automatically?

Overall ive had a good experience with the m8. Really impressed with it and the flexibility android offers. Just prefer the ios, slightly gutted in a way.

Want to say thanks for the help everyone provided me on here getting the m8 to work :)

johnmcc0710

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I have always used Android phones and Blackberry and have the M8 which I consider to be the best phone I have had. I was helping my girlfriend the other night on her iPhone and I am not impressed. I will never change. Good luck

jwbekens

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I have a 5s and the M8.
1. I like both sizes. No preference. Each has strenths and weaknesses. M8 much better for video and movies.
2. Love Swiftkey on the M8. Much more accurate on the M8 than on the 5s. I find it much easier to text and email on the M8. Easier to read mail on iPhone.
3. I have calendar notifications on the lock screen. I use the HTC calendar and Google calendar. This is with Lollipop.
4. Basic apps: built in calculator on both is simple to use. Not sure what problems you are having. Really no difference. I use Evernote for note taking on both. Fantastic free version.

Love using WiFi calling on the M8. Free calls to the US from out of the country to the US. Cannot do that on the 5s (but you can on a 6). Nice when travelling.
Good luck to you. Then again, you have been really confused and vacillating between iOS and Android since you joined AC last June. Looks like you should stick with iOS.

To each his own. I am waiting for iPhone 7 or whatever comes next November. Keeping the M8 until the M10 comes out. Some can use both operating systems...... some cannot.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I've tried and tried with the M8, its looks sheer class, i even sold my iphone 6 for it cause i kept thinking i was going to always drop the iphone 6. The sound quality on the M8 is spectacular but Ive decided it's not for me for a number of reasons. Im not having a rant, just a bit gutted that i couldnt stick with it.

- The size! Honestly couldnt cope handling it. It was the same with the iphone 6. Too big i wanted something to use in one hand regularly.
- Texting - i miss the simplicity and speed of texting with the iphone. Also autocorrect. I downloaded swiftkey and it was ok but i kept making mistakes and sometimes the cursor would randomly move somewhere else. Took me longer sending a text to someone to the point of sometimes i would give up. I couldn't be bothered sending emails from the M8 and used a PC cause it would drive me mad making typos
- Notifications/lockscreen - Quite good actually with lollipop but i miss calendar events showing up on the lockscreen. Apparently these have now disappeared from lollipop. Gutted.
- Basic apps - apps like reminders, notepad, calculator just seem dead simple on the iphone. Maybe too simple. But it would work. Ive tried 3 different types of notepad apps for the m8 and i still wasn't too impressed. Maybe too much choice?
- Certain apps would seem to take longer to load on the m8 compared to the iphone. For one app, i had to refresh within the app cause the page wouldnt load automatically?

Overall ive had a good experience with the m8. Really impressed with it and the flexibility android offers. Just prefer the ios, slightly gutted in a way.

Want to say thanks for the help everyone provided me on here getting the m8 to work :)
Some of these points really confuse me. For example, calculator and scribble (the notepad for HTC) on their simplest form are near carbon copies of the ios calculator and notepad. Keyboards can be downloaded and replaced...

But I'm not trying to sound like you are in the wrong for not liking the m8. You aren't, everyone has their mobile OS preference, and iOS seems to suit you. Thanks for giving the m8 an honest run though!

spewak

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
It is nice that you kept an open mind and tried both. Your decision is good if it works for you. I commend you.

staticK78

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
You are the first person I''ve heard say they're going back. I personally know 4 people who have all switched to the m8 from the dark side and they all were doubting themselves for ever going with that other company. To each their own, but more than not it's the change itself people have a hard time with...not the device.

Posted via the Android Central App