Using Pioneer radio

vashaarms

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
I recently purchased a Pioneer DEH-X3600UI because it was advertised as being able to play files off an Android running 4.0 or later via MTP(which comes up on my phone when I connect to the radio via USB). I'm presently running 5.0.1 on Verizon and just get an error every time.

I was able to run an iPhone (of course) and a Droid Ultra so I know it's not the USB port.

Is this just an issue with HTC phones? Have I been swindled by Pioneer's advertising that as long as it was 4.0 or higher running MTP, it'd work? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Posted via Android Central App

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a One M8, but have tried to troubleshoot similar situations like this with a few Samsung phones and a USB capable Sony radio. From reading your situation, a few questions come up.

What Android version is the Droid Ultra? Are the music files on the M8's internal SD or the external SD card? Was the M8 working with MTP before 5.0.1?

It may be that the Pioneer radio is looking for something like sd0. If the music is on sd1 (external SD card), then the radio may not be able to see music.

vashaarms

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
I don't have a One M8, but have tried to troubleshoot similar situations like this with a few Samsung phones and a USB capable Sony radio. From reading your situation, a few questions come up.

What Android version is the Droid Ultra? Are the music files on the M8's internal SD or the external SD card? Was the M8 working with MTP before 5.0.1?

It may be that the Pioneer radio is looking for something like sd0. If the music is on sd1 (external SD card), then the radio may not be able to see music.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

The Droid Ultra is running Kit Kat. Actually, the Droid Ultra was not working at first until I disabled some feature about not showing software notifications. It was under the options pulled down from the notification bar. Unfortunately, the M8 has no actual options when connected by USB like this.

The music files are on my SD card. I actually did not have the radio before the move to Lollipop. The MTP is still working fine on my PC though.

I would not be surprised if it's just a matter of it being on Lollipop now which is disappointing considering they advertised 4.0 and up (which they probably shouldn't given the unpredictable nature of Android).

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
You may have already tried it, but if not, could try putting a song on the internal SD card and see if the radio picks it up. Sounds like all is good given that your PC can talk to the M8 via MTP/USB.

vashaarms

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
You may have already tried it, but if not, could try putting a song on the internal SD card and see if the radio picks it up. Sounds like all is good given that your PC can talk to the M8 via MTP/USB.

Yeah, I will try that. I really think it's just a communication issue between these two specific devices for whatever reason.

Thanks a lot for all your advice though.