One M9 owners: What are your HTC One M9 first impressions?

Adam_ation

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Re: HTC One M9 First Impressions

I received my M9 today. I was very disappointed. The phone still feels slippery as ever and the killer is the camera is worse than the reviewers have stated. It just cant seem to figure out how to set the exposure properly. Stills were either over or under exposed with poor color saturation. I wanted to love this phone but its going back. I did also notice that on my phone the audio was a bit lower than the M8 I used. That was not a big deal because the audio was superb.

Doesn't sound like your giving it a chance, judging by your 4 other posts it seems like you havn't had much luck with phones. You must have great hearing to be able to differentiate the audio differences between the M8 and M9 when the M8 is a phone you havn't used for a long period of time.

Theres no way im buying that anyone would think the device is "as slippery as ever" - Adam

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I usually throw LUX auto brightness on all my phones. Helps with battery like a lot and has custom settings which keep it as bright as I want it in the day and and darker than stock auto settings at night so I don`t burn out my cornea.

Thanks for the tip. I will have a look into it. I am used to having auto brightness that works ok. The iPhone works perfectly well with that.
I am now at 21%...

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 6846.jpg
    6846.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 94

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site

I just got the Galaxy S6 Edge and have the same complaints about battery life that you do with your M9 when compared to my iPhone 6 Plus. I know I'm less than 24 hours in but my iPhone was a battery superstar right out of the gate (10+ hours on screen with very heavy use) and always stays cool.

The S6 runs hotter and seems to be burning 15-20% per hour on screen (so only 5-6 hours on screen, roughly half of Apple). Even in standby my S6 burns 4% an hour on WiFi and the iPhone is 0-1%. Big difference. Now, it's early and hopefully the S6 settles down after a few days but I'm watching this closely, for sure.

That said, the S6's screen is light years ahead of anything Apple puts out (but is probably contributing to the battery load) and I'm really digging the updated and improved Touchwiz and Android 5.0 Lollipop so I'm very happy with my phone.

Will be interesting to see how the M9 and the S6 play out over time but (at least at this early stage) it seems Apple is running away in the battery optimization department.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I will give the device a week and will monitor battery life. Currently it sucks.
The M8 was better and I hope HTC improves the battery life.

Attachments

• 6847.jpg
    6847.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 90

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I will give the device a week and will monitor battery life. Currently it sucks.

Yeah its not really great. I know the S6 will be similar too. Does it last you a full day? or do you have to charge it before the day ends?

Gruff35

Banned
Mar 28, 2015
Visit site

Doesn't sound like your giving it a chance, judging by your 4 other posts it seems like you havn't had much luck with phones. You must have great hearing to be able to differentiate the audio differences between the M8 and M9 when the M8 is a phone you havn't used for a long period of time.

Theres no way im buying that anyone would think the device is "as slippery as ever" - Adam

There are reviews that still report certain colors as slippery like the silver M9. Once again you try to discredit someone comments when their experience falls in line with what reviewers noticed.

I'm sorry, but I get my hearing tested every year for my job. And I can tell the difference between an M7/M8/M9. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to do it. Your ears become accustomed to a certain volume level and your brain remembers that. Like the M8 is VERY LOUD. Almost too loud but that's what I always wanted in a phone.

Do us all a favor and show a little class after people report their experiences with the M9. We do not need you trashing everyone who has had a bad experience with the device or plans on returning the phone.

Gruff35

Banned
Mar 28, 2015
Visit site

Sorry to hear about your experience. I know you really was looking forward to the M9. I loved my M7 but that battery didn't last long at all. Kind of feels like HTC followed that scheme with the M7/M9.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your experience. I know you really was looking forward to the M9. I loved my M7 but that battery didn't last long at all. Kind of feels like HTC followed that scheme with the M7/M9.

I think sammy opened a hole with removable battery, maybe HTC can reclaim that market.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear so many are having warm phone issues. With these phones heat=poor battery life as a general rule. Whatever is causing it to get warm the battery obviously is the source of supply for that warmth. I hope HTC gets it fixed. Hard to believe in their testing before release this didn't come up.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I cannot say yet. Today it was the first day. I unplugged it around 6:30am, and then used the GPS for about 40 minutes (that really sucked the battery), and now, around 18:30 I had to enable extreme saving mode. I am charging the device as we speak...It says it needs around two hours for that..
I hope tomorrow it will be better, but the truth is, my iPhone 6 Plus has much better battery and it almost never gets any warm.
I really love the One M series design and like HTC a lot. I loved my M8, but currently I do not feel that happy about the M9's issues. HTC should resolve them asap. The device gets warm. It's not uncomfortable but definitely noticeable.
The iPhone is still the best phone out there, unless of course you want/need to have Android (which I like a lot).
I wish that HTC and everybody else in the business started paying more attention how Apple makes everything just work (most of the times at least). HTC was really close with the M8 and the M9 doesn't do anything to improve on the M8.
Yes, the design is a bit different, but not really noticeable. I only wanted that HTC improves on battery life and on the display (not its resolution).

Gruff35

Banned
Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
I cannot say yet. Today it was the first day. I unplugged it around 6:30am, and then used the GPS for about 40 minutes (that really sucked the battery), and now, around 18:30 I had to enable extreme saving mode. I am charging the device as we speak...It says it needs around two hours for that..
I hope tomorrow it will be better, but the truth is, my iPhone 6 Plus has much better battery and it almost never gets any warm.
I really love the One M series design and like HTC a lot. I loved my M8, but currently I do not feel that happy about the M9's issues. HTC should resolve them asap. The device gets warm. It's not uncomfortable but definitely noticeable.
The iPhone is still the best phone out there, unless of course you want/need to have Android (which I like a lot).
I wish that HTC and everybody else in the business started paying more attention how Apple makes everything just work (most of the times at least). HTC was really close with the M8 and the M9 doesn't do anything to improve on the M8.
Yes, the design is a bit different, but not really noticeable. I only wanted that HTC improves on battery life and on the display (not its resolution).

I forgot to mention this, but I think I did in another thread. With a bigger battery in the M9, it's going to take 2+ hours to charge the phone to 100%. If HTC doesn't give you a quick charger with the phone, it's not worth your money. Who wants to spend 2 hours charging a phone. Question I have is this: While your phone is plugged in and charging will the heat issues you are experiencing increase to the point where you can't hold your phone and charge it at the same time?

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
To be fair, IOS 8 was a terrible roll out with multiple bugs and issues so let's not just utter the same meme. I still have my old iPhone I just can't go back to it now. It is just to dull a software for me at this point. I like my screens set up a certain way and the sea of icons isn't cutting it at this point. Also, Android allows you to do so much more or less if you are so inclined. There is nothing taxing to the Soc of an iPhone so of course it's standby would be exceptional. That said, it is a blessing and a curse for Android. Samsung is now learning that they need to build devices with their own chips not outsourcing. That will bode well for them in the future in terms of optimization as HTC will never be in a position to do so and are being punished now. It will also differentiate themselves from other android OEM's that way because they are already so vertically integrated. Heck an iPhone has as many Samsung components as an iPhone. Hyperbole but you get the idea. Even LG is going to produce it's own SOC. I guess when it comes down do it I appreciate Google motto. Be together. Not the same. It'd difficult until to evolve in a monotony but people are far more comfortable in one.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't want any mobile wars discussion. It's pointless. Every device has its own merits :)
I love technology, as long as it's good and I don't care who produces it.

Anyway, I wanted to post some comparison pictures of the camera. The filenames are pretty much self explainable..

Attachments

• No Flash ISO Auto.jpg
    No Flash ISO Auto.jpg
    435.4 KB · Views: 112
  • HDR Mode on.jpg
    HDR Mode on.jpg
    435.9 KB · Views: 105
  • No flash.jpg
    No flash.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 103
  • ISO 200 Flash on.jpg
    ISO 200 Flash on.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Auto mode.jpg
    Auto mode.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 100
  • iPhone 6 Plus.jpg
    iPhone 6 Plus.jpg
    491.2 KB · Views: 99

SharkyNY

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Wow... that HDR shot has terrible white balance. I'd say the best looking one is the one where you adjusted the ISO (manually, I'd imagine). Although the reflection of the flash seems to show quite a bit of flare.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Wow... that HDR shot has terrible white balance. I'd say the best looking one is the one where you adjusted the ISO (manually, I'd imagine). Although the reflection of the flash seems to show quite a bit of flare.

I agree. How difficult is it for HTC to get the camera right? Anyway, I think I can live with that, hoping to see some improvements in the near future.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I am actually more concerned about the battery life. I care less about the camera to be honest.

That70sGAdawg

Trusted Member
Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
If you check my profile, I've been around this site since 2003, with smartphones a lot longer- back to Palms and windows CE. Even an existing phone needs time for a newly loaded OS update to settle in with the phone and optimize the battery life. The phone needs to index everything (and in my case 60GB of music on SD card) - this takes time at first. Manufacturers are not going to put anything negative on their websites about battery. I see the complaints- but how many are happy (after a couple of days)? I also read more than once that the battery sucked - but still beat the iPhone 6 (not 6+). If thats true I'm better off than with my iPhone 6 . Time will tell. If you want to return the phone - do it- but you really should give it a few days in different locations to judge the battery life. Now, excuse me for a day or two- mine just arrived..

Last edited:

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I am prepared to give the M9 some time, but this wasn't necessary with most of my previous phones, including the M8.

Gruff35

Banned
Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
If you check my profile, I've been around this site since 2003, with smartphones a lot longer- back to Palms and windows CE. Even an existing phone needs time for a newly loaded OS update to settle in with the phone and optimize the battery life. The phone needs to index everything (and in my case 60GB of music on SD card) - this takes time at first. Manufacturers are not going to put anything negative on their websites about battery. I see the complaints- but how many are happy (after a couple of days)? I also read more than once that the battery sucked - but still beat the iPhone 6 (not 6+). If thats true I'm better off than with my iPhone 6 . Time will tell. If you want to return the phone - do it- but you really should give it a few days in different locations to judge the battery life. Now, excuse me for a day or two- mine just arrived..

An OS isn't a house that needs to settle. As Petvas pointed out he didn't need to do that with his M8. Nobody else had to do it either. You've been around since 2003. Next you will tell us we need to condition the battery too. I think you are grabbing for straws right now with the OS needs to settle. What does music on your phone have to do with battery? Huh? I'm lost. Petvas probably doesn't even have 60MB of music on his phone so your point is moot. Sorry man....

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

I just got the Galaxy S6 Edge and have the same complaints about battery life that you do with your M9 when compared to my iPhone 6 Plus. I know I'm less than 24 hours in but my iPhone was a battery superstar right out of the gate (10+ hours on screen with very heavy use) and always stays cool.

The S6 runs hotter and seems to be burning 15-20% per hour on screen (so only 5-6 hours on screen, roughly half of Apple). Even in standby my S6 burns 4% an hour on WiFi and the iPhone is 0-1%. Big difference. Now, it's early and hopefully the S6 settles down after a few days but I'm watching this closely, for sure.

That said, the S6's screen is light years ahead of anything Apple puts out (but is probably contributing to the battery load) and I'm really digging the updated and improved Touchwiz and Android 5.0 Lollipop so I'm very happy with my phone.

Will be interesting to see how the M9 and the S6 play out over time but (at least at this early stage) it seems Apple is running away in the battery optimization department.

Please look at some of my posts that I have left on your thread, there are some hints and tricks that helped a lot with the S5 and if they exist on the S6 they may help you also.