One M9 owners: What are your HTC One M9 first impressions?

That70sGAdawg

Trusted Member
Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
An OS isn't a house that needs to settle. As Petvas pointed out he didn't need to do that with his M8. Nobody else had to do it either. You've been around since 2003. Next you will tell us we need to condition the battery too. I think you are grabbing for straws right now with the OS needs to settle. What does music on your phone have to do with battery? Huh? I'm lost. Petvas probably doesn't even have 60MB of music on his phone so your point is moot. Sorry man....

An OS firmware change on any computer or device needs to index and apps are updated to run better (including power settings). My point is give the battery and new phone or OS some time - a lot more then your total 44 posts here . It's my understanding - not yours. This is my last reply to your comments.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: HTC One M9 First Impressions

A few thoughts from me. I received my M9 on 3/30 around 10am EST. The device is fantastic in hand. The feel is even better than the M8 and it feels more solid. The UI has no stutter to speak of. Connectivity and call quality are both fantastic. Battery life has been enough to get me through the day. I took it off the charger at 6am and still have 10% at the time of typing this. 4 1/2 SOT.

The screen took me about 3 whole hours to get accustomed to, simply because I had the M8 right next to it. Now, I actually prefer the M9 screen to the M8. I never realized how warm the tone was on the M8. The M9 definitely has the better screen, it gets brighter than the M8 and goes darker than the M8 for night time usage. I found the power button placement to be a nuisance at first but have become accustomed to it. The sound quality, both from headphones/aux cable in the car and the speaker is better than the M8. I went to youtube and tested them with some Dolby videos and I was amazed at what the M9 can do.

The camera......ugh.......The camera! It's not that bad. The third party apps I have been using(VSCO cam and Perfectly clear) do a better job than the stock camera app. I also do a lot of post processing with my pics, mostly due to the fact that I have three little boys that I take a crap-ton of pictures of and share them to Facebook. Any ways the images below are some shots with a Canon DSLR(my wife's baby) of the the M8 and M9 screens next to each other and then some random shots I've taken with the camera(stock app, auto and no edits). I will have to post some more pics later with the third party apps.

Overall, I am very satisfied with this phone! I will recommend it to everyone.
View attachment 168911View attachment 168912View attachment 168913
View attachment 168914View attachment 168915View attachment 168916View attachment 168917View attachment 168918
View attachment 168919View attachment 168920View attachment 168921View attachment 168922View attachment 168923

Thanks for your post. Great comparison shots off the display! In some of the shots I prefer the M9, and in others I prefer the M8's display.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
To summarize...

Awful battery, below average camera and excellent performance with a mediocre screen. Even the speakers seem to have lost some loudness compared to the m8.

Posted via the Android Central App

Gruff35

Banned
Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
To summarize...

Awful battery, below average camera and excellent performance with a mediocre screen. Even the speakers seem to have lost some loudness compared to the m8.

Man, you guys complaints say the same thing. Glad I didn't upgrade. Did you have an M7 before the M9 or are you coming from an M8?

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your post. Great comparison shots off the display! In some of the shots I prefer the M9, and in others I prefer the M8's display.

Yeah, I enjoyed writing it up. HTC makes the perfect phones for me. The battery definitely isn't up to par with my M8, even though it gets me through the day no problem. Although, I am running a custom ROM and custom kernelon my M8. The camera is better than the M8 in every way other than low light. That's the trade-off. The screen I prefer over the M8 now(And no, it's not because of the cracked screen). Definitely loving it!

From my fingers to you on the M8, M9 or the Chromebook! :D

Last edited:

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty disappointed. I really, really wanted to move to the M9 but I have a Note 3 right now. The only thing I needed was battery life and it looks like that isn't going to end up being up to snuff. I would have been ok with the camera (my Note 3's camera doesn't impress me at all). I need a new phone because Samsung phones can't hold a signal for anything, but I can't go back to not getting a full day of use out of my phone after having the Note. My note 3 is usually at 15-20% at the end of my day but it looks like the M9 is worse off than the M8 which was already not as good as the Note 3.

Looks like it will be the new Moto X or sticking it out til next year for me. :'(

bigrey81

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I enjoyed writing it up. HTC makes the perfect phones for me. The battery definitely isn't up to par with my M8, even though it gets me through the day no problem. Although, I am running a custom ROM and custom kernelon my M8. The camera is better than the M8 in every way other than low light. That's the trade-off. The screen I prefer over the M8 now(And no, it's not because of the cracked screen). Definitely loving it!

I really think that lollipop isn't customized for 64bit processors cause across the board people are complaining about battery life on devices with 64bit processors.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

Don't see a GSAM screen shot anywhere. Do you have any?

patchs

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I always compare activating a new phone to moving into a new home, it's a pain in the **** moving over everything. But it's done.
Coming from a M7, I can feel the weight difference, the M9 is heavier. It's warm. It got very warm during the Sprint activation process. Now it's charging, just a little warm. I can't remember my M7 ever getting warm. Not a big deal now.
Haven't tried the camera yet, but soon.
Made a call, voice was solid, but person on phone said I sounded a little muffled. But I'm a little stuffed up, lol.
Also noticed, using my M7 charger, it wasn't charging, the M9 charger is working.
We'll see how it goes, crossing my fingers the M9 works for me.

That70sGAdawg

Trusted Member
Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I really think that lollipop isn't customized for 64bit processors cause across the board people are complaining about battery life on devices with 64bit processors.

Good point. I hope lollipop 5.1comes soon and addresses this.

Gruff35

Banned
Mar 28, 2015
Visit site

I think Samsung knew going in what they were doing. I don't think its a problem with the S6. Otherwise, why go to MWC and push your wireless charging and quick charge features? They went the Apple route with their phone and knew people would upgrade and accept the fact the battery life isn't spectacular. HTC on the other hand probably had to shove a bigger battery in the phone because they knew to get anywhere close to the M8's battery life that they would need a bigger battery. Bigger battery....bigger camera = No room for PSR or OIS = Fail

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Well my husband activated his last night. I gave him this case to use I like that I bought from Best Buy intil his Defender comes today or tomorrow. My Amazon cheap wallet case came I don't care for it but for 10 bucks it's OK. This best buy clear soft shell case makes the phone feel thin and light and i like it better than the M8 in my commuter. I had to reset my phone after being almost done setting it up :-( But then it just started downloading apps my emails came back from back up which was all good and I thought I was going to have to add all my folders and apps back and next thing I know they were their. It even had text from 2014 show up I don't know. But now I have to log into everything again configure a few more things and I'll be done.

I was up till 4:30 am last night messing with my phone since i had to reset it. Kept getting a sense error message pop up over and over but hopefully it's all good now. I'm going to order the dot view with the 20% off it's just I can't decide what color. Does one show the lights better than the other like black for instance? I've never had one but I think I want solid on back not clear so I'll probably get pink. But I have to work today and I'll get to play with my phone more. I always have my quick charger so I am not gonna worry about battery. I may start off at 100 ad see how long it last for the heck of it..

I always compare activating a new phone to moving into a new home, it's a pain in the **** moving over everything. But it's done.
Coming from a M7, I can feel the weight difference, the M9 is heavier. It's warm. It got very warm during the Sprint activation process. Now it's charging, just a little warm. I can't remember my M7 ever getting warm. Not a big deal now.
Haven't tried the camera yet, but soon.
Made a call, voice was solid, but person on phone said I sounded a little muffled. But I'm a little stuffed up, lol.
Also noticed, using my M7 charger, it wasn't charging, the M9 charger is working.
We'll see how it goes, crossing my fingers the M9 works for me.

Adam_ation

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
. I'm going to order the dot view with the 20% off it's just I can't decide what color. Does one show the lights better than the other like black for instance?

The darker colours do tend to be clearer to the eye regarding the light shining through, especially when not viewing during nighttime - Adam

Gruff35

Banned
Mar 28, 2015
Visit site

A few thoughts from me. I received my M9 on 3/30 around 10am EST. The device is fantastic in hand. The feel is even better than the M8 and it feels more solid. The UI has no stutter to speak of. Connectivity and call quality are both fantastic. Battery life has been enough to get me through the day. I took it off the charger at 6am and still have 10% at the time of typing this. 4 1/2 SOT.

The screen took me about 3 whole hours to get accustomed to, simply because I had the M8 right next to it. Now, I actually prefer the M9 screen to the M8. I never realized how warm the tone was on the M8. The M9 definitely has the better screen, it gets brighter than the M8 and goes darker than the M8 for night time usage. I found the power button placement to be a nuisance at first but have become accustomed to it. The sound quality, both from headphones/aux cable in the car and the speaker is better than the M8. I went to youtube and tested them with some Dolby videos and I was amazed at what the M9 can do.

The camera......ugh.......The camera! It's not that bad. The third party apps I have been using(VSCO cam and Perfectly clear) do a better job than the stock camera app. I also do a lot of post processing with my pics, mostly due to the fact that I have three little boys that I take a crap-ton of pictures of and share them to Facebook. Any ways the images below are some shots with a Canon DSLR(my wife's baby) of the the M8 and M9 screens next to each other and then some random shots I've taken with the camera(stock app, auto and no edits). I will have to post some more pics later with the third party apps.

Overall, I am very satisfied with this phone! I will recommend it to everyone.

Sorry to say this but I too prefer the imagery of the M8. The M9 screen looks faded and the colors don't pop out on it for some reason. You can see a huge difference in the screens.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I think Samsung knew going in what they were doing. I don't think its a problem with the S6. Otherwise, why go to MWC and push your wireless charging and quick charge features? They went the Apple route with their phone and knew people would upgrade and accept the fact the battery life isn't spectacular. HTC on the other hand probably had to shove a bigger battery in the phone because they knew to get anywhere close to the M8's battery life that they would need a bigger battery. Bigger battery....bigger camera = No room for PSR or OIS = Fail

Umm not really. The architecture of their devices goes from display -> battery -> other components. The only restrictions would be the threshold of the dimensions of the device that are finalized. For example, the M7 could have had a much larger battery, but Peter Chou envisioned the device as having a slim profile which ultimately 86d that possibility. In the past they have modified the original design to make upgrades. This happened with the Butterfly (5.63 x 2.78 x 0.36 in) when they upgraded the battery from 2020 mAh to 3200 mAh with the Butterfly S 5.69 x 2.78 x 0.42 in). So the profile became thicker due to the increased battery capacity, yet they kept everything else intact.

Their ability to include OIS hinges on finding a supplier and the infinite wisdom of the bean counters to cut costs. In my opinion, I feel like both the architects and engineers weren't given as much creative control as they should have with the M9.

Adam_ation

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site

The imagery of the M9 is a great improvement on that of the M8, I have both devices infront of me right this second. Im not one of those people who think they can judge a screen from a couple of photos - Adam

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok Thanks, I have never had one but I have this pink one in my cart but I think if i get black it might show up better but I don't really want black but Sprint told me he could order me black or blue now and it showed I could get it shipped from the warehouse which is here in my town and I'd have in a couple days. It was like 35 bucks. BB was 50 for the black on front and clear on back but I think I want all solid. But I got a case to hold me over till I can get a colored dot View that I like so I may wait. I like this aqua blue color but it's got the clear back I think those are more. Thanks! I just want the lights to show up good and wasn't sure what color to get.

The darker colours do tend to be clearer to the eye regarding the light shining through, especially when not viewing during nighttime - Adam

Gruff35

Banned
Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Umm not really. The architecture of their devices goes from display -> battery -> other components. The only restrictions would be the threshold of the dimensions of the device that are finalized. For example, the M7 could have had a much larger battery, but Peter Chou envisioned the device as having a slim profile which ultimately 86d that possibility. In the past they have modified the original design to make upgrades. This happened with the Butterfly (5.63 x 2.78 x 0.36 in) when they upgraded the battery from 2020 mAh to 3200 mAh with the Butterfly S 5.69 x 2.78 x 0.42 in). So the profile became thicker due to the increased battery capacity, yet they kept everything else intact.

Their ability to include OIS hinges on finding a supplier and the infinite wisdom of the bean counters to cut costs. In my opinion, I feel like both the architects and engineers weren't given as much creative control as they should have with the M9.

Either that or there was a lack of communication. And I don't think that was their fault. Something just isn't right. People put their heart and souls into their jobs. Just seems like things that should have been caught weren't talked about.

So we can blame Chou for a great looking M7, with a small battery. I must admit I love my M7. But when it was my daily driver it was hard keeping juice in the phone. I work in a fortified building so the phone would go in/out of service and roam. That's going to hurt any battery.

Gruff35

Banned
Mar 28, 2015
Visit site

The imagery of the M9 is a great improvement on that of the M8, I have both devices infront of me right this second. Im not one of those people who think they can judge a screen from a couple of photos - Adam

Just saying the screen is better on the M8 from the pictures that he posted. The colors look better in my opinion. I'm not a photographer, but dark photos aren't cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Attila