HTC One Series to Change Course?

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
After trading HTC shares was halted last week and their stock reached a ten year low, the One Series will be changing direction by entering the mid range market per reports.

Is HTC Android's first falling giant?

It'll be interesting to see what HTC does next year with the M10. Hopefully they'll finally realize that they need to freshen things up a bit, starting with more aggressive pricing, updating their design, and finally getting rid of that hideous black bar and offering a much higher display/bezel ratio.

They need to take a step out of Moto's playbook, and offer two versions, released at the same time. If I had my way, they'd offer a 4.7" "compact version, which seems to be a size many Android fans are hoping someone will fill, and a 5.5" version for the phablet fans. Their design team should have @evleaks on speed dial and copy that awesome design he inaccurately identified as the next M9.

Copy Moto's distribution strategy so that pricing can be competitive without sacrificing quality, and whatever little cash that might be available, use it to market it much more aggressively. We all realize at this point the camera won't ever be like the S6 or G4, but if it's $100 less expensive, but still decent quality, people will understand, we're used to making compromises. But if they want to distinguish themselves, keep the SD card and offer a removable 3500 mAh battery on the 4.7" and 4000 mAh on the 5.5" version.

Slim down Sense, don't add anything stupid, and maybe you'll survive another year ... maybe. Oh, and finally, please don't embarrass yourself and release an "inked" body art version no matter what. That was truly alarming and when I questioned if anybody at HTC actually knew what they were doing.

HTC One M9 to get 'inked' in special limited edition body art-style design | Android Central

Posted via the Android Central App

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
They did that inked thing with the M8 too. They're also doing a special engraved edition for Cecil the Lion with the proceeds going to a conservation fund.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if you realize this but ALL Android OEM's aren't making money. Google is making money though. Samsung is making money but it is eroding at an alarming rate. Motorola isn't making any money so why are you holding them to such a high standard? The reality is everyone is struggling except for Apple. Sure, HTC is struggling more so than others, but the industry is just pushing on a string at this point in a mature saturated market where people are hanging on to theirs phones longer. Let's not make this an indictment on HTC like they are the only ones struggling. That G4 has been a flop as well despite the great camera. If they can stay in business long enough that HTC Vive is very promising. It's better than any other VR out there and they can establish themselves in a Industry in its infancy and grow with it rather than fighting for scraps in smartphones regardless of what they do.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if you realize this but ALL Android OEM's aren't making money. Google is making money though. Samsung is making money but it is eroding at an alarming rate. Motorola isn't making any money so why are you holding them to such a high standard? The reality is everyone is struggling except for Apple. Sure, HTC is struggling more so than others, but the industry is just pushing on a string at this point in a mature saturated market where people are hanging on to theirs phones longer. Let's not make this an indictment on HTC like they are the only ones struggling. That G4 has been a flop as well despite the great camera. If they can stay in business long enough that HTC Vive is very promising. It's better than any other VR out there and they can establish themselves in a Industry in its infancy and grow with it rather than fighting for scraps in smartphones regardless of what they do.

If you worked for HTC, in their product development department, and your boss asked you what changes need to be made to improve sales, would you tell him/her "let's not make this an indictment on HTC"?

This isn't an HTC only issue, I get that. I've owned 3 HTC phones, and I get that a lot of people go out if their way to kick HTC when they're down. It's usually the same people that have never actually owned a single one of their devices, but formed an opinion after reading a few articles online.

I can't act like nothing is wrong though, and deflecting their issues isn't gonna help anyone. If somebody else wants to create a post about how Android in general, or LG, or whoever else is struggling, that's fine. They can take the time and energy to start their own thread somewhere else.

I want to see them turn it around. It's been an extraordinary fall from grace given where they were just a short time ago. I want to see the M10 have an M7 like impact amongst Android fans. Hopefully whatever changes they're making will result in a better phone and a better company, cause they simply can't survive at this rate much longer.

I think the best thing that can happen would be if an Asus or some other company bought them and infused the cash they so desperately need.

You're dead on with the VR, though I remain somewhat skeptical about them trying to generate revenue away from their core business. I'm not the best person to ask though cause I simply don't get VR and the interest behind it. It's in the same category as 3D TVs and Google Glass, but like I said, I'm simply not a fan. But I do recognize from a business perspective that it's probably necessary and it's that type of innovation and forward thinking that they'll need to be successful moving forward.

Always best to be proactive instead of reactive in the tech business. There's also nothing wrong with not trying to reinvent the wheel, so hopefully they'll find a balance between the two and get back to doing what they do best.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
They did that inked thing with the M8 too. They're also doing a special engraved edition for Cecil the Lion with the proceeds going to a conservation fund.

no harm in doing either, I just don't get their thinking behind the inked version, but maybe in other countries it's more of a draw than the US. special engraved Cecil the Lion edition? that's pretty cool actually. why anyone would want to shoot a lion, while eliminating any "sport" by luring it with bait and shooting it point blank, not to mention pay $50k to do so, is beyond my comprehension.

ollieg

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
The Barrage of Bad Publicity
I think the M9 was hurt more by the state it was in when initially shipped and reviewed than anything else. HTC needed the word on the street to be that the phone had an exceptional camera, that didn't happen. The screen is now more accurate than the M8's but was labelled dull.

Meanwhile, there's hardly any marketing of the phone as the audiophile's choice.

It feels like all the departments just need to work in sync better.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
no harm in doing either, I just don't get their thinking behind the inked version, but maybe in other countries it's more of a draw than the US. special engraved Cecil the Lion edition? that's pretty cool actually. why anyone would want to shoot a lion, while eliminating any "sport" by luring it with bait and shooting it point blank, not to mention pay $50k to do so, is beyond my comprehension.

Here's a link the the Cecil edition. This Cecil The Lion Commemorative Phone is $2,650 | Digital Trends
I think it's pretty pathetic what the guy did as well.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

What's your point? It's a value stock now not a growth one so Wall Street monkey hammered the stock into bear market territory. Terrible stock but still a company printing money hand over fist. I am already on record as saying the 6S won't do as well YOY as the 6 did but they will still sell 80 million of them in the Christmas quarter, just not 105 million to suit the traders. That's still a more phones than HTC has sold in probably 10 years. Apple will however end up on the same boat as every other smartphone OEM. Even the 6S has zero buzz for something bring launched in a few weeks.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
If you worked for HTC, in their product development department, and your boss asked you what changes need to be made to improve sales, would you tell him/her "let's not make this an indictment on HTC"?

This isn't an HTC only issue, I get that. I've owned 3 HTC phones, and I get that a lot of people go out if their way to kick HTC when they're down. It's usually the same people that have never actually owned a single one of their devices, but formed an opinion after reading a few articles online.

I can't act like nothing is wrong though, and deflecting their issues isn't gonna help anyone. If somebody else wants to create a post about how Android in general, or LG, or whoever else is struggling, that's fine. They can take the time and energy to start their own thread somewhere else.

I want to see them turn it around. It's been an extraordinary fall from grace given where they were just a short time ago. I want to see the M10 have an M7 like impact amongst Android fans. Hopefully whatever changes they're making will result in a better phone and a better company, cause they simply can't survive at this rate much longer.

I think the best thing that can happen would be if an Asus or some other company bought them and infused the cash they so desperately need.

You're dead on with the VR, though I remain somewhat skeptical about them trying to generate revenue away from their core business. I'm not the best person to ask though cause I simply don't get VR and the interest behind it. It's in the same category as 3D TVs and Google Glass, but like I said, I'm simply not a fan. But I do recognize from a business perspective that it's probably necessary and it's that type of innovation and forward thinking that they'll need to be successful moving forward.

Always best to be proactive instead of reactive in the tech business. There's also nothing wrong with not trying to reinvent the wheel, so hopefully they'll find a balance between the two and get back to doing what they do best.

VR isn't 3d TV's. Yes. Those were a gimmick waste of time. HTC VR has Gaming and educational applications that are way ahead of what the competition is doing and with stunning detail and realism. I no longer even want a home theater room in my basement. I am going to set up a VR room. I am an early adopter by nature but I don't waste time with things like 3D TV's that have little potential or head room for growth and applications. VR is the future. HTC is smart to diversify into it and their product has that potential. I just hope they get first mover advantage and can stick around long enough to see the other side when it becomes more mainstream.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
What's your point? It's a value stock now not a growth one so Wall Street monkey hammered the stock into bear market territory. Terrible stock but still a company printing money hand over fist. I am already on record as saying the 6S won't do as well YOY as the 6 did but they will still sell 80 million of them in the Christmas quarter, just not 105 million to suit the traders. That's still a more phones than HTC has sold in probably 10 years. Apple will however end up on the same boat as every other smartphone OEM. Even the 6S has zero buzz for something bring launched in a few weeks.

My point is the market is saturated and even iPhone is not at the top of it is game. Technology has also pushed the envelope to where the highest percentage of users are satisfied with mid line phones that you can get for under $200. Comparing S6 sales to HTC sales is ridiculous. HTC does need to do better, but is doesn't need to those kind of numbers and doesn't expect it. HTC is a small company in comparison to Apple, Samsung, Motorola, Sony, LG......

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

I wouldn't call losing $275 million last quarter "printing money hand over first."

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
VR isn't 3d TV's. Yes. Those were a gimmick waste of time. HTC VR has Gaming and educational applications that are way ahead of what the competition is doing and with stunning detail and realism. I no longer even want a home theater room in my basement. I am going to set up a VR room. I am an early adopter by nature but I don't waste time with things like 3D TV's that have little potential or head room for growth and applications. VR is the future. HTC is smart to diversify into it and their product has that potential. I just hope they get first mover advantage and can stick around long enough to see the other side when it becomes more mainstream.

I'm sorry, I should've done a better job clarifying. To me, it's in the same category as 3D TV, though I clearly recognize for the general public it's not. I'm just not into the whole VR thing, but definitely understand there's a major market for it.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
My point is the market is saturated and even iPhone is not at the top of it is game. Technology has also pushed the envelope to where the highest percentage of users are satisfied with mid line phones that you can get for under $200. Comparing S6 sales to HTC sales is ridiculous. HTC does need to do better, but is doesn't need to those kind of numbers and doesn't expect it. HTC is a small company in comparison to Apple, Samsung, Motorola, Sony, LG......

That I agree with. Mid range phones are so good now that people question the need to spend extra money on a so called "flagship" that is really only marginally better. I also don't think the global economy is doing as well as our leaders will have us believe and there just isn't the disposable income, especially the middle class, there was 5-10 years ago to make these purchases and fuel growth.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't call losing $275 million last quarter "printing money hand over first."

You may want to read that again. I was referring to Apple. They have $200 billion in cash. If they lost $275 million last quarter their stock would fall faster than HTC.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
You may want to read that again. I was referring to Apple. They have $200 billion in cash. If they lost $275 million last quarter their stock would fall faster than HTC.

lol, well that would obviously makes a lot more sense! I'm not an iPhone fan personally but it's unbelievable the kinda numbers they pull.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Part of me says that they can make the M10 or whatever it'll be called, the best device in the history of smartphones and it still would do little to help their profits.

The other side of me thinks that reviving the EVO brand with distribution across all carriers in the respective market, would be something I'd like to see them do. I'm still convinced that specs don't make a phone a sales success in today's market, but the image, and appeal (based on several factors i.e., value, design, etc) of the device. With that said, focusing on imaging and audio prowess and marketing those strengths appropriately will be the best chance for them I think.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The issue is that they have so many phones under that "One" branding.

In the West, we only have the M9 (minus the M9+ in Europe) and that's basically their flagship, but look in Asia and see how many phones are in the "One" series. Here are a couple.
  • HTC One M9+
  • HTC One ME
  • HTC One E9+
  • HTC One M8s
  • HTC Butterfly 2
  • HTC One E9
There's more and there's also the Desire line, where there's even more.

There's more phones in that lineup than the Galaxy S line, Galaxy Note line, LG G line and XPERIA Z line had in a year.

Just make one 5-inch flagship under the "One" brand and release a larger one for those that want a bigger size. Make the Desire solely for midrangers and have another name for a budget-oriented line.

Take Motorola for instance. This is their product line.

Moto X series - Flagship (Style), Upper-midrange (Play)
Moto G series - Midrange
Moto E series - Economy/Budget

BarryH_GEG

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Samsung is making money but it is eroding at an alarming rate.

Samsung has $100B in cash on hand and, while down, the Mobile Division is still contributing multi-billion dollar quarterly profits. Samsung the full company made more revenue and profit in Q2 2015 than 2014. Their move to their own chips, memory, and camera sensors is helping drive profit outside the mobile division. They are a big diversified company and no matter what the changing smartphone market brings you'd expect them to continue to dominate it, even at a lower margin, once they regain their stride.

As for HTC they're a one trick pony and have basically burned up the clock. In 2012 they said they had too many phones and were going to focus on the high end. They don't have the scale, financial resources for marketing, and broad distribution Samsung and Apple do so fell on their face. The next strategy was to own the premium low cost segment in emerging markets. Their cost base vs. the Chinese and Indians caused that to tank. Now they are going back to fewer premium phones again. Cher and Peter killed HTC and if it were a Western company both would have been removed by shareholders years ago. Do you know how long it's going to take for things like wearables and VR to reach critical mass and profitability? Chasing emerging products when you can't pay today's bills is a fool's journey. Stick a fork in HTC, they're done.

HTC's stock has sunk so low that its entire market capitalisation is now worth less than the cash it has in the bank.

In layman's terms, that means that if you could theoretically acquire all the shares of HTC, it would cost you less than the cash HTC holds — meaning HTC would effectively be paying you to acquire the entire company. In investors' terms, it means people think the company is essentially worthless.

Collapse of HTC - Business Insider

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The issue is that they have so many phones under that "One" branding.

In the West, we only have the M9 (minus the M9+ in Europe) and that's basically their flagship, but look in Asia and see how many phones are in the "One" series. Here are a couple.
  • HTC One M9+
  • HTC One ME
  • HTC One E9+
  • HTC One M8s
  • HTC Butterfly 2
  • HTC One E9
There's more and there's also the Desire line, where there's even more.

There's more phones in that lineup than the Galaxy S line, Galaxy Note line, LG G line and XPERIA Z line had in a year.

Just make one 5-inch flagship under the "One" brand and release a larger one for those that want a bigger size. Make the Desire solely for midrangers and have another name for a budget-oriented line.

Take Motorola for instance. This is their product line.

Moto X series - Flagship (Style), Upper-midrange (Play)
Moto G series - Midrange
Moto E series - Economy/Budget

nailed it ... like others have stated, it might not even matter what they do at this point, but in terms of the amount of models, I totally agree with have a 5" (or thereabouts) and phablet under the One brand, then similar to Moto have a midrange, and maybe even an economy brand ... keep it simple, and keep it consistent.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer