Unlocking and Rooting the HTC One - AT&T, Dev, Unlocked and International model

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
This is specific to AT&T, Developer, Unlocked and International models. Please check the threads over at XDA for information specific to your model. Thanks.

Unlock and Rooting the HTC One

Unlocking the HTC One Bootloader

Go here HTCdev - Unlock Bootloader and follow the instructions for unlocking. Download the required files as listed on the site. Directions are pretty simple.

Custom Recovery Rooting the HTC One (after unlocked)

Currently, 2 main methods to Rooting the HTC One:

One click tool which can be found here: [TOOL] HTC One (M7) All-In-One Toolkit V1.2 [4-11-2013] [PERM ROOT][Noob-Proof] - xda-developers.
Flash custom recovery first. CWM is my preference but you can?t go wrong with TWRP. Once recovery is flashed then flash root.

Step by step manual method: [Tutorial] Root, Unlock, Recovery and flashing a Custom ROM - xda-developers

This is a good method so you can really get experience with dealing with these things and become familiar with them. Even if you don?t use this method, it?s very helpful to read through.

I?ve actually used the one click tool to flash recovery and then finished up with the manual method to flash root as this was the only way it worked for me. Keep up with the threads as chances are any problems you run into, someone else has as well.

Go here for all you custom ROMs, MODs and tweaks: One Android Development - xda-developers

****Follow the threads so you know what's going on with your ROM****

Todesengel

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Can you root without going to a custom rom? I only need it to install a few apps that take advantage of root, but I don't need a whole new custom rom.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Can you root without going to a custom rom? I only need it to install a few apps that take advantage of root, but I don't need a whole new custom rom.

Yes you can root on the stock rom. No custom rom needed.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

Schnitter

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I have the Dev edition. Does flashing phone with custom rom void warranty? If so, how can you go back to stock if something goes wrong (or you want to sell your phone in the future)?

Also, if I flash Cyanogen ROM to HTC One Dev, is there any way to get the TV Remote app again?

EDIT: Found answer to first part of question. htcdev.com web has the Dev WWE, RUU and ROM available to download. Still don't know the Cyanogen ROM answer though.

Last edited:

coggster

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
I have a Mac and it has just taken me 3 hours to unlock the bootloader. HTCDev has instructions but it really is only for PC. I googled and after realising there was many areas I had to change the wording I finally managed to get the One's bootloader unlocked. However no matter which online version I try to follow I cannot root my One on a Mac. It seems to be impossible. There were versions that had a couple of steps but if I put in terminal what they suggest nothing happened. Has anyone actually rooted their HTC One using a Mac and can they possibly direct me to which step by step process they used?
I will be very grateful as I am partly there but am stuck. One point I regret getting a Mac as on Windows I would have the phone with all apps loaded having unlocked the bootloader and having rooted it in less time.
Thank you in advance

ICEmayne

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I have a Mac and it has just taken me 3 hours to unlock the bootloader. HTCDev has instructions but it really is only for PC. I googled and after realising there was many areas I had to change the wording I finally managed to get the One's bootloader unlocked. However no matter which online version I try to follow I cannot root my One on a Mac. It seems to be impossible. There were versions that had a couple of steps but if I put in terminal what they suggest nothing happened. Has anyone actually rooted their HTC One using a Mac and can they possibly direct me to which step by step process they used?
I will be very grateful as I am partly there but am stuck. One point I regret getting a Mac as on Windows I would have the phone with all apps loaded having unlocked the bootloader and having rooted it in less time.
Thank you in advance

Oh man, I have a Mac. I think I'll hold off.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

Reppy07

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm also on a mac but can easily get access to a PC if absolutely need be, so I do like the NoobProof version since I'm not too knowledgable as I used to be lol.

Question for me is this though- I bought an AT&T HTC One off ebay because AT&T is a GSM network and have usually boughten from them as it's easier and cheaper than renewing contracts with my carrier (Bell Mobility and Rogers from Canada) when my phone decides to start crapping out or just isn't working out at all, but upon some reading up, AT&T seemed to have shoved a pickle up their **** with the HTC One- JUST MY LUCK AFTER 700$ YEAH?!?

So I ask simply. Is there a way to Carrier unlock the HTC One from AT&T? So I can simply put the sim card in and biggity bam?

I don't need all this other fancy rooting (yet anyways) but the one thing I really need is to carrier unlock it. To be more specific, it's the 64GB although I don't think that makes any difference. And it seems that unlocking in this fashion, has nothing to do with carrier unlock (or did I miss something somewhere? I am pretty tired atm)

Anywho. I hope I made as clear as possible. I just need to carrier unlock it and I am not a customer of AT&T and I don't think they'd cared that I'm with Rogers (pretty much the same company) lol

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm also on a mac but can easily get access to a PC if absolutely need be, so I do like the NoobProof version since I'm not too knowledgable as I used to be lol.

Question for me is this though- I bought an AT&T HTC One off ebay because AT&T is a GSM network and have usually boughten from them as it's easier and cheaper than renewing contracts with my carrier (Bell Mobility and Rogers from Canada) when my phone decides to start crapping out or just isn't working out at all, but upon some reading up, AT&T seemed to have shoved a pickle up their **** with the HTC One- JUST MY LUCK AFTER 700$ YEAH?!?

So I ask simply. Is there a way to Carrier unlock the HTC One from AT&T? So I can simply put the sim card in and biggity bam?

I don't need all this other fancy rooting (yet anyways) but the one thing I really need is to carrier unlock it. To be more specific, it's the 64GB although I don't think that makes any difference. And it seems that unlocking in this fashion, has nothing to do with carrier unlock (or did I miss something somewhere? I am pretty tired atm)

Anywho. I hope I made as clear as possible. I just need to carrier unlock it and I am not a customer of AT&T and I don't think they'd cared that I'm with Rogers (pretty much the same company) lol

Carrier unlock is totalliy different and probably wouldn't be best answered in this forum. You can always try to call AT&T. I mean it doesn't hurt. The best thing, in my opinion is to do a quick internet search because there are a lot of companies out there that provides unlock codes. Anyone which seems reputable should do the job. You give ethem the model and they'll let you know if they can and how much.

Just a couple.

Release My Code | It's your phone, Keep it! Unlock your phone today.
Cell Phone Unlock Codes and Unlock Software

Also the below app may work as well. Check it out.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etails?id=com.unlockunit&hl=en&token=E4pP77D5

Reppy07

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Thank you very much Scorpio. I appreciate the advice and far better answers than what I even had to hope to get! I will try and phone them first!

rhtzshahriar

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Htc noob here as this is my first Htc device (switching from long line of Xperia phones) .. I wanted to know whether it is necessary to unlock the bootloader to root the device ..? root was available to locked boatloader in Xperia phones ..