Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 82
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Unlocking and Rooting the HTC One - AT&T, Dev, Unlocked and International model

    This is specific to AT&T, Developer, Unlocked and International models. Please check the threads over at XDA for information specific to your model. Thanks.

    Unlock and Rooting the HTC One

    Unlocking the HTC One Bootloader

    Go here HTCdev - Unlock Bootloader and follow the instructions for unlocking. Download the required files as listed on the site. Directions are pretty simple.

    Custom Recovery Rooting the HTC One (after unlocked)

    Currently, 2 main methods to Rooting the HTC One:

    One click tool which can be found here: [TOOL] HTC One (M7) All-In-One Toolkit V1.2 [4-11-2013] [PERM ROOT][Noob-Proof] - xda-developers.
    Flash custom recovery first. CWM is my preference but you cant go wrong with TWRP. Once recovery is flashed then flash root.

    Step by step manual method: [Tutorial] Root, Unlock, Recovery and flashing a Custom ROM - xda-developers

    This is a good method so you can really get experience with dealing with these things and become familiar with them. Even if you dont use this method, its very helpful to read through.

    Ive actually used the one click tool to flash recovery and then finished up with the manual method to flash root as this was the only way it worked for me. Keep up with the threads as chances are any problems you run into, someone else has as well.

    Go here for all you custom ROMs, MODs and tweaks: One Android Development - xda-developers

    ****Follow the threads so you know what's going on with your ROM****
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini


    The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
    Thanked by 5:
    Raptor007 and lorelei409 like this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Unlocking and Rooting the HTC One - AT&T, Dev, Unlocked and International model

    Can you root without going to a custom rom? I only need it to install a few apps that take advantage of root, but I don't need a whole new custom rom.
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Unlocking and Rooting the HTC One - AT&T, Dev, Unlocked and International model

    I think this is a noob question, but do I need to do step 1(unlock) if I have a developer edition?? Thanks.
  4. #4  
    david279's Avatar

    Posts
    97 Posts
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7.1 NIGHTLY ect....

    Default Re: Unlocking and Rooting the HTC One - AT&T, Dev, Unlocked and International model

    Dev edition should already be unlocked.

    Posted from my HTC One via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Unlocking and Rooting the HTC One - AT&T, Dev, Unlocked and International model

    So I should go straight to step 2 (recovery) right?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Unlocking and Rooting the HTC One - AT&T, Dev, Unlocked and International model

    Quote Originally Posted by dragone7e View Post
    So I should go straight to step 2 (recovery) right?
    Yes. You're already bootloader unlocked. You need to flash custom recovery then you can flash root.

    Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini


    The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
    Thanked by 2:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Unlocking and Rooting the HTC One - AT&T, Dev, Unlocked and International model

    Quote Originally Posted by Todesengel View Post
    Can you root without going to a custom rom? I only need it to install a few apps that take advantage of root, but I don't need a whole new custom rom.
    Yes you can root on the stock rom. No custom rom needed.

    Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini


    The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Unlocking and Rooting the HTC One - AT&T, Dev, Unlocked and International model

    Is it possible to add the T-mobile 1700/2100 band to the 64GB Developers Edition or the 64GB ATT phone?
  9. #9  
    david279's Avatar

    Posts
    97 Posts
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7.1 NIGHTLY ect....

    Default Re: Unlocking and Rooting the HTC One - AT&T, Dev, Unlocked and International model

    No

    Posted from my HTC One via Android Central App
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Unlocking and Rooting the HTC One - AT&T, Dev, Unlocked and International model

    Does this flashing a recovery and then root wipe the phone?
  11. #11  
    Tower72's Avatar
    Gigantic Member

    Posts
    443 Posts
    ROM
    ARHD 8.0

    Default Re: Unlocking and Rooting the HTC One - AT&T, Dev, Unlocked and International model

    I just used this

    He also has one for rooting after..all went smooth..recovery stuck first shot (TWRP)

    Well poo....I didnt think the video would open here and it would be just a link !!
    Thanked by 2:
    amroa likes this.
  12. #12  
    Tower72's Avatar
    Gigantic Member

    Posts
    443 Posts
    ROM
    ARHD 8.0

    Default Re: Unlocking and Rooting the HTC One - AT&T, Dev, Unlocked and International model

    Yes..it will wipe it all..including your internal memory..just like you took it out of the box
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Unlocking and Rooting the HTC One - AT&T, Dev, Unlocked and International model

    I have the Dev edition. Does flashing phone with custom rom void warranty? If so, how can you go back to stock if something goes wrong (or you want to sell your phone in the future)?

    Also, if I flash Cyanogen ROM to HTC One Dev, is there any way to get the TV Remote app again?

    EDIT: Found answer to first part of question. htcdev.com web has the Dev WWE, RUU and ROM available to download. Still don't know the Cyanogen ROM answer though.
    Last edited by Schnitter; 05-11-2013 at 08:37 PM.
  14. #14  
    coggster's Avatar

    Posts
    93 Posts
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts

    Default Re: Unlocking and Rooting the HTC One - AT&T, Dev, Unlocked and International model

    Hi,
    I have a Mac and it has just taken me 3 hours to unlock the bootloader. HTCDev has instructions but it really is only for PC. I googled and after realising there was many areas I had to change the wording I finally managed to get the One's bootloader unlocked. However no matter which online version I try to follow I cannot root my One on a Mac. It seems to be impossible. There were versions that had a couple of steps but if I put in terminal what they suggest nothing happened. Has anyone actually rooted their HTC One using a Mac and can they possibly direct me to which step by step process they used?
    I will be very grateful as I am partly there but am stuck. One point I regret getting a Mac as on Windows I would have the phone with all apps loaded having unlocked the bootloader and having rooted it in less time.
    Thank you in advance
    I am back HOME on the epic Nexus 5!!
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Unlocking and Rooting the HTC One - AT&T, Dev, Unlocked and International model

    Quote Originally Posted by coggster View Post
    Hi,
    I have a Mac and it has just taken me 3 hours to unlock the bootloader. HTCDev has instructions but it really is only for PC. I googled and after realising there was many areas I had to change the wording I finally managed to get the One's bootloader unlocked. However no matter which online version I try to follow I cannot root my One on a Mac. It seems to be impossible. There were versions that had a couple of steps but if I put in terminal what they suggest nothing happened. Has anyone actually rooted their HTC One using a Mac and can they possibly direct me to which step by step process they used?
    I will be very grateful as I am partly there but am stuck. One point I regret getting a Mac as on Windows I would have the phone with all apps loaded having unlocked the bootloader and having rooted it in less time.
    Thank you in advance
    Oh man, I have a Mac. I think I'll hold off.

    Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums
  16. #16  
    deviant12no's Avatar

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

    Default Re: Unlocking and Rooting the HTC One - AT&T, Dev, Unlocked and International model

  17. #17  
    Reppy07's Avatar

    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

    Default Re: Unlocking and Rooting the HTC One - AT&T, Dev, Unlocked and International model

    I'm also on a mac but can easily get access to a PC if absolutely need be, so I do like the NoobProof version since I'm not too knowledgable as I used to be lol.

    Question for me is this though- I bought an AT&T HTC One off ebay because AT&T is a GSM network and have usually boughten from them as it's easier and cheaper than renewing contracts with my carrier (Bell Mobility and Rogers from Canada) when my phone decides to start crapping out or just isn't working out at all, but upon some reading up, AT&T seemed to have shoved a pickle up their **** with the HTC One- JUST MY LUCK AFTER 700$ YEAH?!?

    So I ask simply. Is there a way to Carrier unlock the HTC One from AT&T? So I can simply put the sim card in and biggity bam?

    I don't need all this other fancy rooting (yet anyways) but the one thing I really need is to carrier unlock it. To be more specific, it's the 64GB although I don't think that makes any difference. And it seems that unlocking in this fashion, has nothing to do with carrier unlock (or did I miss something somewhere? I am pretty tired atm)

    Anywho. I hope I made as clear as possible. I just need to carrier unlock it and I am not a customer of AT&T and I don't think they'd cared that I'm with Rogers (pretty much the same company) lol
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: Unlocking and Rooting the HTC One - AT&T, Dev, Unlocked and International model

    Quote Originally Posted by Reppy07 View Post
    I'm also on a mac but can easily get access to a PC if absolutely need be, so I do like the NoobProof version since I'm not too knowledgable as I used to be lol.

    Question for me is this though- I bought an AT&T HTC One off ebay because AT&T is a GSM network and have usually boughten from them as it's easier and cheaper than renewing contracts with my carrier (Bell Mobility and Rogers from Canada) when my phone decides to start crapping out or just isn't working out at all, but upon some reading up, AT&T seemed to have shoved a pickle up their **** with the HTC One- JUST MY LUCK AFTER 700$ YEAH?!?

    So I ask simply. Is there a way to Carrier unlock the HTC One from AT&T? So I can simply put the sim card in and biggity bam?

    I don't need all this other fancy rooting (yet anyways) but the one thing I really need is to carrier unlock it. To be more specific, it's the 64GB although I don't think that makes any difference. And it seems that unlocking in this fashion, has nothing to do with carrier unlock (or did I miss something somewhere? I am pretty tired atm)

    Anywho. I hope I made as clear as possible. I just need to carrier unlock it and I am not a customer of AT&T and I don't think they'd cared that I'm with Rogers (pretty much the same company) lol
    Carrier unlock is totalliy different and probably wouldn't be best answered in this forum. You can always try to call AT&T. I mean it doesn't hurt. The best thing, in my opinion is to do a quick internet search because there are a lot of companies out there that provides unlock codes. Anyone which seems reputable should do the job. You give ethem the model and they'll let you know if they can and how much.

    Just a couple.

    Release My Code | It's your phone, Keep it! Unlock your phone today.
    Cell Phone Unlock Codes and Unlock Software

    Also the below app may work as well. Check it out.

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lockunit&hl=en
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini


    The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
  19. #19  
    Reppy07's Avatar

    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

    Default Re: Unlocking and Rooting the HTC One - AT&T, Dev, Unlocked and International model

    Thank you very much Scorpio. I appreciate the advice and far better answers than what I even had to hope to get! I will try and phone them first!
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Unlocking and Rooting the HTC One - AT&T, Dev, Unlocked and International model

    Htc noob here as this is my first Htc device (switching from long line of Xperia phones) .. I wanted to know whether it is necessary to unlock the bootloader to root the device ..? root was available to locked boatloader in Xperia phones ..
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default Re: Unlocking and Rooting the HTC One - AT&T, Dev, Unlocked and International model

    Quote Originally Posted by rhtzshahriar View Post
    Htc noob here as this is my first Htc device (switching from long line of Xperia phones) .. I wanted to know whether it is necessary to unlock the bootloader to root the device ..? root was available to locked boatloader in Xperia phones ..
    I haven't checked if a root exploit has been made available without unlocking the bootloader. You'll have to check the forums over at XDA from the link provided above and see if it's available.
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini


    The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
    Thanked by:
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Unlocking and Rooting the HTC One - AT&T, Dev, Unlocked and International model

    Quote Originally Posted by rhtzshahriar View Post
    Htc noob here as this is my first Htc device (switching from long line of Xperia phones) .. I wanted to know whether it is necessary to unlock the bootloader to root the device ..? root was available to locked boatloader in Xperia phones ..
    The unlocked bootloader is required for root access.

    Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

    Phone/Evo 3D cdma
    Rom/ViperS r284
    Hboot/eng 1.58
    Root Method/Htc Dev unlocked/Juopunutbear s-off
    Recovery/4-EXT
    Thanked by:
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Unlocking and Rooting the HTC One - AT&T, Dev, Unlocked and International model

    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiodsu View Post
    I haven't checked if a root exploit has been made available without unlocking the bootloader. You'll have to check the forums over at XDA from the link provided above and see if it's available.
    Quote Originally Posted by pergerson6 View Post
    The unlocked bootloader is required for root access.

    Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks a lot .. One more thing, is it safe to update through OTA after unlocking bootloader ..? Thanks in advance
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Unlocking and Rooting the HTC One - AT&T, Dev, Unlocked and International model

    Quote Originally Posted by rhtzshahriar View Post
    Thanks a lot .. One more thing, is it safe to update through OTA after unlocking bootloader ..? Thanks in advance
    I wouldn't know! I've never taken an OTA before.

    Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

    Phone/Evo 3D cdma
    Rom/ViperS r284
    Hboot/eng 1.58
    Root Method/Htc Dev unlocked/Juopunutbear s-off
    Recovery/4-EXT
    Thanked by:
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

    Default Re: Unlocking and Rooting the HTC One - AT&T, Dev, Unlocked and International model

    Quote Originally Posted by rhtzshahriar View Post
    Thanks a lot .. One more thing, is it safe to update through OTA after unlocking bootloader ..? Thanks in advance
    Once the bootloader is unlocked a couple of the stock apps are removed and an OTA won't be able to validate. Also you won't be able to install OTA if you flash a custom recovery (which is kind of the point of unlocking the bootloader). In my opinion, if you care about unlocking the bootloader and root access you shouldn't worry about OTAs because you'll be able to easily flash a pre-rooted ROM based on that OTA. Just my opinion.
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini


    The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
    Thanked by 2:
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How to root the HTC One S (Windows)
    By Jerry Hildenbrand in forum HTC One S
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-25-2014, 02:12 PM
  2. Instruction to root the HTC One ?
    By Jakiro201 in forum HTC One
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-04-2013, 07:47 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-04-2013, 04:18 PM
  4. Replies: 47
    Last Post: 04-12-2013, 09:14 PM
  5. HTC One X 32 GB GSM International Model - $500
    By Tom S. in forum Marketplace Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-21-2012, 01:38 PM

Posting Permissions