Unlocking and Rooting the HTC One - AT&T, Dev, Unlocked and International model

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Flash a newer Rom!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

You can also root it now and stay on stock and see if ota survival can be put in place so you get the official rom and retain root access some times it dosent work but if thats the way you want to go then do so also always remember to make a nandroid backup of the unrooted stock rom incase you want to go back to stock flash it relock the boot loader then simply run an ruu and boom your back to stock

sent from my one x+ if i helped you out hit that thanks button ;)

wildblue

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I do everything on my Mac. It's very easy.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk 4

Indeed it is. I was a little discouraged at first that most of the guides on the web were focused on Windows, but with a little Google Fu I was able to find Mac specific videos and guides that made the process of unlocking/installing recovery/flashing quite easy. I daresay it may be even easier than on Windows once you get it sorted out.

paracha3

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Quick question from newbie. I have the Dev edition and i have rooted it and now want to go back to pure stock. I understand i have to do the following steps.

1- Lock the bootloader
2- Install RUU exe installer
3- Unlock the bootloader (yes i need it)

Question is about step 3. Can't i just use

Code:
fastboot oem unlock

to re-unlock the bootloader or do i have to go through the HTCDev site process, knowing i have a dev edition which came bootloader unlocked in the first place.?

Edit: Since this thread doesnt seem to be very active. I went ahead and tried it. The command doesnt work and you have to use HTCDev site procedure.

Last edited:

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Quick question from newbie. I have the Dev edition and i have rooted it and now want to go back to pure stock. I understand i have to do the following steps.

1- Lock the bootloader

Code:
fastboot oem unlock

to re-unlock the bootloader or do i have to go through the HTCDev site process, knowing i have a dev edition which came bootloader unlocked in the first place.?

Edit: Since this thread doesnt seem to be very active. I went ahead and tried it. The command doesnt work and you have to use HTCDev site procedure.

No , you can reflash the unlock code.bin file you got the first time you unlocked with

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

1- Lock the bootloader

Code:
fastboot oem unlock

Reflash the unlocktoken you already have from the first time you unlocked.

fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin

jp3141

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to know how to do this also. I have the US Developer Edition (unlocked bootloader) and want to know the minimum mods I need to do to get root (basically so I get tethering working past the 'routing fix' issue).

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
So what is the state of rooting the DE now that 4.3 is out? I'm looking to upgrade which I assume means uprooting, updating and rooting again. Is this possible yet?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm currently on 4.2.1 and rooted and would like to get to 4.3, basically keep everything exactly as the update from HTC would be, but also root the device again.

What's the best way to do that? TIA.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Here is another idea i think would be nice for sprint users to change their main ver. while on hboot 1.55 so they can use rumrunner. Im sure it can be incorporated into your toolkit. what do you think.

[Guide] Get S-OFF hboot 1.55 after OTA or RumRunner failed (pouring 8) - xda-developers

I am looking into including S-OFF in the next toolkit for the HTC One. Right now, I'm working on the One XL toolkit. I'm working on a new concept where the toolkit will communicate to a server and download files for you in the cloud through an encrypted SSL tunnel. Sounds fancy and it is :p

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Cool so you got permission to use the s-off exploit ? Sweet deal if you did. IMO if you are going to root your phone s-off is a must as it removes so many problems

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Cool so you got permission to use the s-off exploit ? Sweet deal if you did. IMO if you are going to root your phone s-off is a must as it removes so many problems

I tried to get something going with beaups and others but he never responded. I do things like give him the proper credit, make a link to his donation account ( I don't have one) and I don't bundle anything with the toolkit out of respect. Maybe I should make my own S-OFF method :) lol

Sent from my One Xl using Tapatalk