HTC one menu button issue

Toodeloo97

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Hello there! This is my first post here and I recently rooter my HTC one m7(gsm) and installed cm 10.1 because I liked the customization and the HTC logo's menu button. So yesterday I updated for the latest nightly and I can't use the HTC logo as a menu button anymore. I searched in the settings, but I only found some options to hold ore double tap the home button to show the in app menu. This is very uncomfortable for me to double press the home button(sometimes it closes the app or does wired actions..). I know that the nightly is sort of unfinished and buggy, but the menu button is one of the major reasons why people use cyanogenmod for the one, and now the patched this feature out? Sounds very strange for me. Anyways it would be nice if someone could help me or give me a reason for that. Thank you!

Posted via Android Central App

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
The new nightly might not have the same kernel, which is what allows that functionality. Search around for that kernel and flash it in with CM.

kparikh82276

May 2, 2011
Visit site
The new nightly might not have the same kernel, which is what allows that functionality. Search around for that kernel and flash it in with CM.

What you're saying is that that you can flash kernel separately with any ROM?

I thought the ROM go with kernel, and the kernel need to match the ROM etc. No?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes, but not always. People are running MoDaCo switch with a different kernel than it came with. I'm not one of those folks, but I've read a lot of success stories. There was also a ton of people with Galaxy Nexus phones that ran custom kernels independent from roms to keep power management in check. If you've ever owned one, you'd understand why :p
That said, there are some roms out there that REQUIRE the kernel to work or the rom will not function properly. CM is not one of those to the best of my knowledge. If you flash a new rom, though, make sure you do enough reading to see if an alternate kernel is an option. Flashing kernels is a powerful tool to get what you want from the phone. The rom gives you the flashy features, but it's a house that's built on the foundation the kernel provides.