Need rooting help

weavertim

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I have rooted other phones in the past with no problem. For some reason my One X does not seem to want to be rooted. I have unlocked the bootloader and tried everything I can read on how to flash a rom. Every time I try to boot to recovery it locks up. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. If there is anyone willing to help me I would greatly appreciate it. I have tried going through other threads but it is all getting very confusing and I am starting to regret trying this.

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, first: do you have the XL (at&t/rogers) or an international one x? And what recovery have you installed? If you have a oneXL you should only use TWRP (CWM is NOT designed for the XL and can cause problems).

If you have the OneXL, use this toolkit and follow the instructions, super easy [TOOL] HTC One X (Evita) All-In-One Toolkit V2.0 [12-24-12] [PERM ROOT][Noob-Proof] - xda-developers

Now if you have hboot 1.14 (rooted after the 2.20 update) you will need to fastboot flash the boot.img while in your bootloader menu, then go into recovery and install the rom.zip to get the roms to flash properly (this can all be done through the toolkit)

weavertim

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
i have att&t one x. i have unlocked bootloader and installed twrp. it just freezes when i try recovery. i dont understand the fastboot flash the boot.img part though.

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
What version of TWRP? I'm running 2.3.1.0 with no problems. Just use the toolkit, flash the TWRP recovery that is included...
Make sure you have the rom.zip of whatever rom you are flashing on your sd card and PC. Also go into developer settings and make sure USB debugging is on.

Then the bottom left box of the toolkit has a "flash a kernel", (whatever rom you are trying to flash, make sure you extract the boot.img to the /data/kernel directory of where you installed the toolkit on your PC)

Select "boot to bootloader" in the toolkit, then flash kernel through toolkit, as soon as it says "press any key to continue" in the cmd prompt on PC, reboot phone back to bootloader (if it reboots itself and goes past the bootloader, don't worry, you can still get back, just use the toolkit to send command or hold power button and volume DOWN button on phone til screen turns off, then let go of power, but continue to hold volume DOWN button til you see bootloader menu)

Now go into recovery, select wipe>factory reset and system (some roms will do this durring installation, but it is always wise to do this first).
After wiping, go to install, and select the rom.zip from where you put it on the phone. MAKE SURE IT IS THE SAME ROM.ZIP YOU FASTBOOT FLASHED, otherwise it may not boot.

After installing the rom, reboot the phone. First boot may take a lot longer than usual, this is normal

EDIT: if you have not put the rom.zip on your phones sd card yet, you can select "mount" in TWRP, then "mount USB" to add files from your PC (the computer should recognize your phone as long as you have the drivers installed)

weavertim

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
this is what it says in the boot menu if this helps.
tampered
unlocked
evita pvt ship s-on rl
hboot-1.14.0002
radio-0.19as.32.09.11_2
opendsp-v29.1.0.45.0622
emmc-boot
jun 11 2012,14:36:28

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Yep, you have hboot 1.14... That means you need to fastboot flash every rom before flashing it in TWRP... There is another way to fastboot, but I'll explain that later as its not possible for you at this time (till you can boot up into a rom)

Try to install TWRP through the toolkit, when you initially installed it, it may not have installed properly.

weavertim

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
it just seems to freeze on recovery screen. not sure how long it should stay on this screen.

HTC quietly brilliant
this build is for developement purposes only
do not distribute outside of htc without htc's written permission.
Failure to comply may lead to legal action

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok, reboot to bootloader and try and flash the recovery TWRP from the toolkit on your PC.... Sounds like recovery didn't get installed before, or didn't stick

weavertim

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
says device not found. i cant even get my damn phone to boot now. might not need to worry about ti soon because im about to smash it.

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
You may have corrupted your sd card (don't worry, you can format it through the PC if this is the case).. Plug it into your computer while in bootloader menu (make sure you are in fastboot in bootloader)

- - - Updated - - -

says device not found. i cant even get my damn phone to boot now. might not need to worry about ti soon because im about to smash it.

I know your frustration, but you can still get this to work

weavertim

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
every damn thing i donow takes me back to the loading screen that we have talked about. i cant do . nothing seems to work.

- - - Updated - - -

i am seriously about to flip out and have a broken laptop AND phone.

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Press and hold power button and volume down... The three buttons at bottom will flash 11 or 12 times, continue to hold volume down and let go of power button once the screen turns off... I had the splash screen bootloop before, and I kept trying and it eventually worked