Why you shouldn't be disappointed in the Dual Core version.

katamari201

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah people sometimes forget or are unaware how bad the first Tegra 2 devices were. Yes, they were the first dual-core phones and tablets, but performance was so sluggish as to be almost comparable to a single core (like the G2x vs the Galaxy S). Just because Tegra 3 is gonna be the first four core, history is surely gonna repeat itself again. Early adopters get what they ask for.

Tegrazone is overhyped and no one really uses it or utilizes its full potential. Like buying expensive video cards for the "OMG it has DX11 12 13 14!" when maybe that ONE game has DX15 and turning it on enables some very minor, trivial effects and everything else can already be done with DX9, which is the most mature with the largest userbase and the largest dev support. Making games is about making games, not fighting an uphill battle with constantly changing standards every year.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
My understanding is that we STILL do not have a lot of apps or OS (until ICS?) coded to actually multi-thread their sneaky way through a dual-core, or quad-core, chip. Pretty much ... games, right? So it's a bit like the heyday of PC buying, when you could buy a basic computer that did programs, online browsing, multimedia, but if you GAMED ... you had to get some monstrously beefed up system with graphics extensions cards (or two coupled together), extra cooling, yada yada.

Hopefully that will start to change as more and more of the phones in use are multi-core, so developers can use the chip to its fullest, at least for things that we are actively doing (taking pics, playing game, streaming a video) versus background processes.....

(At this point I have to defer to ROM developers who more about the Android OS and the hardware layer....)

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Gingerbread would spawn a second thread, but it's not near as efficient at taking advantage of hardware as ICS.

Also, OMAP 5 won't be available til next year, so it's really out of the running as far as using for comparison. And maybe I missed it, but have any specs been released about the next Exynos?

Qualcomm doesn't use the standard ARM architecture, either, they make their own stuff. Krait is impressive, but it's not really an A9 or an A15, it's a little bit of both. I also haven't seen any official specs about it.

Not saying the specs aren't out there. I just haven't seen them.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Gingerbread would spawn a second thread, but it's not near as efficient at taking advantage of hardware as ICS.

Also, OMAP 5 won't be available til next year, so it's really out of the running as far as using for comparison. And maybe I missed it, but have any specs been released about the next Exynos?

Qualcomm doesn't use the standard ARM architecture, either, they make their own stuff. Krait is impressive, but it's not really an A9 or an A15, it's a little bit of both. I also haven't seen any official specs about it.

Not saying the specs aren't out there. I just haven't seen them.

I would actually say Krait is something a little bit beyond A15 in terms of raw performance, and the benchmarks support that. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to the Exynos 5250, however. Samsung Debuts 2.0 GHz Dual-Core Exynos 5250 - BriefMobile

(Aside: Can you imagine a quad-core Krait? That sucker would eat a Tegra 3 whole for breakfast, lunch and dinner.)

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I want to see Krait with the Adreno 3xx gpu to see what it can really do. :)

Samsung never said what architecture the new Exynos was based on, did they? Is it still A9? If so then all it is is a die shrink. Not a real huge change. Better power efficiency and some performance benefits, but the clockspeed is the real news there.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I want to see Krait with the Adreno 3xx gpu to see what it can really do. :)

Samsung never said what architecture the new Exynos was based on, did they? Is it still A9? If so then all it is is a die shrink. Not a real huge change. Better power efficiency and some performance benefits, but the clockspeed is the real news there.

The 5250 is A15, but we have no idea when it will be released. They have another dual core and quad core that are A9 but just die shrunk.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
If you look at past releases Qualcomm seems to release new architectures before the latest ARM-based stuff by a not insignificant period of time.

They had a good Snapdragon before we saw good A9 stuff. The other end of the spectrum is at the end of a life cycle the Snapdragon stuff is noticeably behind in performance.

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The statement that I emphasized above is exactly what nvidia is doing. They are partnering with certain development houses to make games and apps specifically tailored to the quad core Tegra 3. Later this year they will release a Tegra 3 with built-in LTE radio, which will close any power savings gap that the S4 may/may not have.

Is the Tegra 3 T3 with built in radio, or T3 that can support an LTE radio? Also, even at that point, the only difference you have is quad core with companion core vs dual core with lower power cores. We still don't know how they compare till they are there to compare.

Android 1.0 could spawn a second, third, fourth, ..., thread as well. However, until Honeycomb (pretty sure it was Honeycomb), the DVM running each app only ran on one core, so each app only "saw" one core. The benefit came from running multiple apps on different cores, but there wasn't much benefit to that. Some, but not a lot.

Sort of. We know there will be a 4212 and a 4412 (I think that's what they are called) that are dual and quad core A9's. Then you have the 5212 that is a dual core A15. No idea what comes out next, when we will see them, etc.

That's how it's always been. Seems like it's both an advantage, and a disadvantage. One one hand, it lets them improve on an existing design to make it better than what others have at first. On the other hand, it's expensive, so they tend to keep the designs around till the go from being some of the fastest processors to the slower end. However, to my understanding, Krait is based on A15, it's just a custom qualcomm flavor.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Is the Tegra 3 T3 with built in radio, or T3 that can support an LTE radio? Also, even at that point, the only difference you have is quad core with companion core vs dual core with lower power cores. We still don't know how they compare till they are there to compare.

The Tegra 3 with built-in LTE is due out later this year I believe. It'll have the Icera modem built-in. Remember, nvidia bought them specifically for the modem technology.

Android 1.0 could spawn a second, third, fourth, ..., thread as well. However, until Honeycomb (pretty sure it was Honeycomb), the DVM running each app only ran on one core, so each app only "saw" one core. The benefit came from running multiple apps on different cores, but there wasn't much benefit to that. Some, but not a lot.

I never really had a problem running apps. I want a smooth experience with the UI. Multiple cores has solved that for me. I never had the not-so-good Atrix with the really heavy motoblur, or a Sense 3.x device to see a dual core really brought to it's knees.

Sort of. We know there will be a 4212 and a 4412 (I think that's what they are called) that are dual and quad core A9's. Then you have the 5212 that is a dual core A15. No idea what comes out next, when we will see them, etc.

The 4XXX are just die shrinks. Better power efficiency and clock speeds. The clockspeed increase is why performance will improve with those chips. The true power of the Exynos IMHO has been the GPU. It's been a blessing and a curse in some ways for Samsung.

That's how it's always been. Seems like it's both an advantage, and a disadvantage. One one hand, it lets them improve on an existing design to make it better than what others have at first. On the other hand, it's expensive, so they tend to keep the designs around till the go from being some of the fastest processors to the slower end. However, to my understanding, Krait is based on A15, it's just a custom qualcomm flavor.

Based on the performance we've seen so far that makes sense.

See above in BOLD.

graymonkey44

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Relying on a sole company like Nvidia to make multi-threaded apps and games a standard practice is very iffy. For one, they will focus on games mainly, and not everyone plays games, and 3D ones even less How well stocked is Tegra Zone, how many phones have Tegra 2, and how many people actually care about the games there and point it out as a must have feature? This ain't any different than the Playstation ceritified phones. They ain't doin so well. Plus, as far as Tegra goes, beyond phones like the first Optimus 2x and Atrix, everyone has jumped ship to Qualcomm or OMAP. I guess you can count tablets, although their sales numbers suck.

The reason why I was comparing it to the PC is to point out that even they don't have a good selection of multi-threaded apps after all these years. What chance does a mobile platform have? And even if there were, the technical barrier of programming for multiple threads is still high. Ha, I'm regurgitating what I said before :p

I really hope you're joking about tablet sales numbers.

Tablet and Smartphone Sales Expected to Grow Astronomically by 2015 | TechnoBuffalo

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I agree with most here. I was wanting to order the quad core tegra 3 but I am going with the dual core s4. I just want the device. I have not wanted a phone this bad since the g1 lol. I know I may be in the minority but I can't wait till this phone comes out.

ZeroRilix

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I agree with most here. I was wanting to order the quad core tegra 3 but I am going with the dual core s4. I just want the device. I have not wanted a phone this bad since the g1 lol. I know I may be in the minority but I can't wait till this phone comes out.

Just curious as to how you were able to decide between the s4 and the tegra 3. I'm still trying to decide that myself, and your thoughts on what brought you to decide in s4 would be appreciated and help my descision even further.

Sent from my HTC Vivid using Tapatalk

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I really wanted the quad. From reading info on the comparisons between the tegra 3 and s4 I have noticed that the s4 is on par, if not better in every aspect other then gaming. I know this is all just pre launch tests but I am just going with the info. Lte is nice also. I also have to buy two. One for me and wife lol so I can get both for price of one. I change my mind a lot though so I may decide last minute tobget quad. Undoubtedly it but its possible.

Error. I doubt lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZeroRilix

ZeroRilix

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Will the quad core version be available on at&t?

Definitely not when it becomes available on AT&T. If AT&T decides to offer it, it won't be til the 3rd or 4th quarter when nVidia will offer the Tegra 3 with an integrated LTE radio. Which is highly doubtful. Hence, why LTE versions of the One X and XL will have the dual core S4 processors. AT&T wanted a variant that was compatible with their fledgling LTE network. So the first LTE enabled quad core on AT&T is not gonna be the One X, unfortunately.

ZeroRilix

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I really wanted the quad. From reading info on the comparisons between the tegra 3 and s4 I have noticed that the s4 is on par, if not better in every aspect other then gaming. I know this is all just pre launch tests but I am just going with the info. Lte is nice also. I also have to buy two. One for me and wife lol so I can get both for price of one. I change my mind a lot though so I may decide last minute tobget quad. Undoubtedly it but its possible.

Error. I doubt lol.

I finally decided I'm gonna get the quad. I currently have a Vivid and if I'm gonna pay full price, might as well get the one that WILL be a true upgrade from the Vivid. I really don't need LTE. LTE isn't even around here yet, let alone in this state, and I'm always on WiFi, so I have no use for it. I already have a phone with a dual core CPU, yes an S3, but still. It also has 16GB of space. Id rather take the one with the quad core and 32GB of space. I'm gonna take the advice from someone in this thread that suggested buying it from Clove. They are actually gonna be cheaper than Expansys.

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I will also take a look and see if I do the same. I am so undecided it sucks. I want quad lol. If the price is not too high then I will.

ZeroRilix

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I will also take a look and see if I do the same. I am so undecided it sucks. I want quad lol. If the price is not too high then I will.

Buying it through Clove, with shipping, and currency exchanged looks like it'll run about 680. I think it will be roughly about 100 dollars more than what AT&T will roughly charge off contract. Their pricing will be either 550, like the Vivid. Or will be the first to be 600. We shall see, but I'm definitely gonna get me an unlocked model through Clove.

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Oh wow for that price of 680 then I will get me the international version! It is true about the upgrade. Might as well go quad. I to also use wifi all the time so lte is not a neccesity. Thanks for all the info guys!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch