HTC One X and Audio Out

Sedrick

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Hey all. Looking at moving to the HTC One X (from iPhone 4) when it hits the streets US ATT. The only thing I'm not sure of is how this would connect to the Aux input of my car stereo, since it has a micro usb connector.

The iPhone could connect through the headphone jack, but the audio quality sucked big time. Very good quality coming out of the main connector though. Does the One X have a similar audio out?

onthezone

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey all. Looking at moving to the HTC One X (from iPhone 4) when it hits the streets US ATT. The only thing I'm not sure of is how this would connect to the Aux input of my car stereo, since it has a micro usb connector.

The iPhone could connect through the headphone jack, but the audio quality sucked big time. Very good quality coming out of the main connector though. Does the One X have a similar audio out?

The micro usb can be used as a hdmi out and don't see why it couldn't do audio out but is the quality going to be better?! I have no idea.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
htc-car-dock-2.jpg

Got to play with it at MWC ...

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-one-car-dock-and-app-best-vehicle-experience-yet

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qID8leHeVYU[/YT]

garrim85

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
THAT IS AWESOME. The One X just keeps getting better and better... Any idea when that will be available in the US/price?

Last edited:

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Lots of new cars have bluetooth. So you can go directly to your car stereo, with no wires.

But realistically, you are going to plug this phone in to charge anyway on any drive of any significant distance. Even moreso if you get the LTE version.

FTR, I don't find headphone jack out to car's Aux In to be any less quality. At least not so much less that you will notice it over the road noise.

xonex

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Lots of new cars have bluetooth. So you can go directly to your car stereo, with no wires.

But realistically, you are going to plug this phone in to charge anyway on any drive of any significant distance. Even moreso if you get the LTE version.

FTR, I don't find headphone jack out to car's Aux In to be any less quality. At least not so much less that you will notice it over the road noise.

Yes. Even the Alpine model that Phil posted above is a bluetooth headunit so the HTC bt isn't even needed for that headunit.
Note the BT at the end of the model number?
I think this HTC bt dongle is designed toward people who have OEM stereos with the usual jack inputs

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I wish this would work with Sprint's version, but the lack of the connectors makes me think not even wishes will make it happen...

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm a self professed audiophile. Bluetooth audio is fine for "regular" speakers and audio systems. You won't notice any difference due to the fact that they actual audio system lacks the ability to play at a level where the differences are discernable.

If you have a pretty good system then you can DEFINITELY notice the difference. I have a zuneHD, Kenwood KIV-700 (with the external Bluetooth kit), and about $4,000 worth of high-end speakers and amps in my car (huge note that I'm not a basshead at all), and I can hear the difference between the zune playing through the dock vs the headphone jack. It's night and day. Bluetooth is technically a step below that, because it lacks the frequency range required to transmit the lowest and highest notes. This has been solved with Bluetooth 4.0, I believe, because they focused on improving the sound quality. Yes, the One X has Bluetooth 4.0, but the other side of the connection also has to have it. I haven't seen any aftermarket radios with anything higher than 2.1 + EDR, let alone factory radios.

TL;DR factory systems and basic aftermarket systems will be fine with bluetooth audio. Audiophile types with higher end systems will want a USB connection at least. This is also assuming that the radio can read the MTP protocol, which I don't think any do (but I also haven't specifically checked).

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
The micro usb can be used as a hdmi out and don't see why it couldn't do audio out but is the quality going to be better?! I have no idea.

HDMI out is digital, not analog, so a conventional AUX audio in wouldn't know what to do with it. You'd need an accessory that did D-to-A conversion.

Someone over at XDA Dev determined that HTC's ExtMicroUSB 12-pin port included composite video and L+R audio out, that would be superb. The 12-pin HDMI out dongle had 3.5mm audio out, too. ... But they appear to've abandoned that connector after the Rezound & Amaze. Guess you're stuck with amplified headphone out, or Bluetooth.

Thanks, HTC. :banghead:

xonex

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Someone over at XDA Dev determined that HTC's ExtMicroUSB 12-pin port included composite video and L+R audio out, that would be superb.

After market has that cable configuration covered.
Even my Olympus camera cable has micro USB 12 pin into RCA.

onthezone

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
HDMI out is digital, not analog, so a conventional AUX audio in wouldn't know what to do with it. You'd need an accessory that did D-to-A conversion.

Someone over at XDA Dev determined that HTC's ExtMicroUSB 12-pin port included composite video and L+R audio out, that would be superb. The 12-pin HDMI out dongle had 3.5mm audio out, too. ... But they appear to've abandoned that connector after the Rezound & Amaze. Guess you're stuck with amplified headphone out, or Bluetooth.

Thanks, HTC. :banghead:

I know what hdmi is but what I was saying is, if your able to pull hdmi out of the USB then maybe they will make a audio out through the USB instead of a hdmi with power but not sure if it would be better. Something like this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo