HTC One X vs iPhone 4S display

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
For those saying stop talking about the technical details, the discussion about the technical details is not to determine whether or not the display is good-it's to determine how (technically) they managed to make such a good display (aka I think most people would agree that it is a very good display, one of the best). I think the ppi difference with the iPhone is a complete wash; I would agree that the slight difference isn't a practical difference at all. But it is worth knowing the technical facts of the display to understand why it is good. Is it IPS? If so, does that explain the great colors? And what type of IPS is it specifically (so we could know if they could improve on this and come out with even better displays in the future)? Stuff like that is why people discuss display technology.

^^^^This^^^^ is why I did THIS. The One X is almost certainly not IPS, but there's some magic somewhere being done to make it really close to being just as good technologically.

chrisjcks

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
The HOX screen is a Super IPS LCD2 display, so yeah - it's IPS.

However, HTC announced during their Barcelona press conference, that they have made their own changes to the screens to improve the quality even further.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The HOX screen is a Super IPS LCD2 display, so yeah - it's IPS.

However, HTC announced during their Barcelona press conference, that they have made their own changes to the screens to improve the quality even further.

Please point me to the article/thread/whatever that states it's Super IPS. Super LCD is a SPVA based panel-type, so logically thinking Super LCD2 is also SPVA-based, with other "enhancements." And please don't tell me "I read it somewhere" cuz I've read almost everything there is on this display trying to find exactly what type it is and it isn't stated anywhere 100% for sure what type it is. I would love to have this information, though.

I would guess that if it was IPS that HTC would be marketing it as such. Could be wrong, but my research hasn't found that it's IPS (or anything else, either).

chrisjcks

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Please point me to the article/thread/whatever that states it's Super IPS. Super LCD is a SPVA based panel-type, so logically thinking Super LCD2 is also SPVA-based, with other "enhancements." And please don't tell me "I read it somewhere" cuz I've read almost everything there is on this display trying to find exactly what type it is and it isn't stated anywhere 100% for sure what type it is. I would love to have this information, though.

I would guess that if it was IPS that HTC would be marketing it as such. Could be wrong, but my research hasn't found that it's IPS (or anything else, either).

Google HTC ONE X Super IPS LCD2 - millions of results,

As for not marketing it, I did get this confirmed by HTC over a month ago, HTC were not allowed (or agreed not to) market the display as IPS - apparently for legal reasons.

mobilebuddha

May 9, 2011
Visit site
so here's a question that I don't think people have asked:

How is HTC One X's screen under sun light? My galaxy nexus is extremely clear and readable under outside under the sun with about 40-50% brightness. I am interested in the one X but would like to know. Pictures would be great!

chrisjcks

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Of course the HOX screen is better than iphone4s, no point trying to argue any type of disagreement- the HOX even has a better screen over the SGS3 which hasn't even been released yet.

The HOX screen is just 'that-good!'

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

macguy59

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok having used the One X since Friday and doing tests side by side with my 4S, the 4S has the better overall screen IMO. That said the HD display on the One X is a close second. The 4S has the edge in text and brightness. One thing that annoys me is the still slightly over saturated colors on the One X. While much less so than the AMOLED displays (which I hate) it's still noticeable. The whites also seem a little dull in comparison but that could be a function of the brightness. On the plus side for the One X it really does look like the images are floating on top of the screen and to my old eyes is slightly easier to read in sunlight conditions.

macguy59

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
As a side note . . . I don't get why anyone equates over saturated (Disney) colors with better. In my personal tests the 4S consistently takes photo's with more accurate colors . Again the OX has a great camera on it and once saturation is lowered in settings, take photo's almost identical to the 4S. Video recording is another matter. The OX shoots nice HD video but the 4S records superior video

tom_m

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Pixel density is higher on the iPhone but resolution on the One X BLOWS AWAY the iPhone. Having both devices, I can tell you the One X is the better screen. You can't see the difference in pixel density with your eye (there's research papers on this). Both are laminated yes. So what else do you have to go by? If everything is basically the same? Resolution. At which point the One X has a MUCH higher resolution. Sure you can argue LCD2 technology, etc. but again like mentioned that's kinda only for brightness and colors to a degree. The colors are perfect on the One X.

The HTC One X is also newer. It SHOULD have a better screen. Sorry Apple fanboys. HTC One X is currently the best phone on the market. Might change after Galaxy S3 comes out and the new iPhone but right now...It's a generation ahead of the iPhone 4...What the heck do you expect? haha

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non