Why I took back my AT&T One X

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The ICS Rom I ran on my Inspire which was built from AOSP did not behave like this. Maybe the dev tweaked things, maybe not, but it multi-tasked like a champ.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The ROMs out there have it tweaked. Stock ICS is just as aggressive.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

But really it's not. I ran the ADB command asked someone to. I got these

Stock Galaxy Nexus is this

So tell me that HTC does it exactly the way stock ICS does again. What these numbers are is the amount of RAM apps are allowed to use before they get kicked out of memory. HTC made them lower.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Someone run this command from an adb shell and tell me what you see:

Code:
cat /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree

I'll bet HTC just tweaked the hell out of the lmk module to make the phone run fast. If so, it's easy to fix :)

For reference purposes:

One X: 7746, 9720, 11694, 13742, 15715, 24709

AOSP 4.0.x: 8099, 10132, 12165, 14213, 16245, 20295

HTC edited drivers/misc/lowmemorykiller.c in the kernel source. This is an easy fix with a new kernel and boot image. I'll do what i can to get our in-house devs (Hi Beezy!) on it.

Gamer_Radar

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Try it with something OTHER than your browser. Its strictly a browser issue. And Chrome does not behave that way.

To come in with no more evidence than a browser test and claim that HTC managed to screw up Multitasking in Android is ludicrous! You can start your recorder, or stream some music, at the same time you surf the web, check some email, take some photos, and it keeps on doing all those things that make sense to do.

But hey, you already sent it back so it doesn't matter.

Multitasking is screwy... I dock Pandora and.go to re open it and it has to reload the dam app....
I dont know may just be my phone since it is effing up anyway..

r546

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
The ROMs out there have it tweaked. Stock ICS is just as aggressive.

Please stop making false excuses, what you say is simply not true. This has nothing to do with "apps getting updated for the S4" nor does stock ICS behave similarly. This is HTC's sole problem because they chose to change how app processes are killed for their devices, probably in a very poor blunt force-style attempt to increase battery life and responsiveness.

Same thing goes for Gmail push, etc. Google doesn't have to "update the app for the One X." It works just fine on all the random ICS ROMs running around out there for who-knows-what device. This is simply HTC releasing buggy software.

This is NOT EXCLUSIVE TO HTC. My nexus does the same thing and it ONLY does it under certain circumstances where the phone is under a heavy RAM/processing load.

That's the thing, it's normal for this to happen under "heavy loads," but the One X does it all the time. Switching between a few light apps does not constitute a heavy load, which several people (and I myself in the store) have confirmed is enough to make the One X do this.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
This is my complaint e-mail sent to HTC and AT&T

English is not my primary language so please bear with me.

Multitasking: The phone can not multitask at all. Games, or apps. ex; I was running Runkeeper auto pause mode enable. Stop during my ride to check phone settings and make some changes. The phone killed my application deleting all my data. unacceptable browser refreshing, stopping music applications, closing games,and the list go on.

Games: It might not be HTC fault but as a customer I have paid for a lot of high end games that I can not play with this phone. I know the phone has the hardware to run the games. you need to work closer with the game developers to adapt the game to the phone. Ex, GTA 3 runs but I am having issues to save the game, exit, or pause.

Camera: I should be able to decide the quality of the picture detail even if that means slower shutter speed.

Front Facing Camera low lighting exposure is too low. Next to an iPhone in medium dark light conditions my phone performance is terrible. The iPhone looks great.

HTC Live weather wallpaper makes my phone to randomly reboot.

Picture Contact Resolution from G Plus or Phone is unacceptable.

Browser Links: There are not choices to redirect links to:
YouTube app
Maps app
G+ app
It could be more

WIFi issues already acknowledge by HTC

AT&T Network radio seems to hop between towers higher frequency than normal.

2G, 3g, 4g network toggle. During football games or big events, it is easier to switch between networks to be able to make phone calls or send text messages. I have not doubt 4G battery life on the HTC phone is improved but it is not as great as 3G or 2g networks.

Some memory lagging

SMS notifiaction issues already acknowledge by HTC

Gmail Push not working properly.

Google Voice is not installing correctly.

I know some the issues mentioned here are not under HTC control but as a customer I don't care. I have invested money on buying top end games and it is easier for me to find another phone that it is compatible with those games. I should not be the one hassling with the game developers.

Please take into account that I do not have any obligation to write you any complaints and my return window is in 23 days.

I love the phone design but the more I dig the more I keep falling out of love with the phone.

Could you please offer a clear direction if any software upgrade would be offered to improve your product and when?

Thanks.

Your phone is apparently broken. Gta 3 works fine, and by the way, assuming you are talking about nice 3d games, they come from gameloft and if that is the case you would have to buy them all over again, as when you buy a new device gameloft makes you re-purchase the game.

you can redirect the browser links to other apps than the default player.

Google voice works completely fine.

SMS works just fine.

You can easily change the quality of the pictures you take. Camera, options, image resolution. Easy.

Either your phone is messed up or, as is more likely, these are user errors.

matt0715

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Your phone is apparently broken. Gta 3 works fine, and by the way, assuming you are talking about nice 3d games, they come from gameloft and if that is the case you would have to buy them all over again, as when you buy a new device gameloft makes you re-purchase the game.

you can redirect the browser links to other apps than the default player.

Google voice works completely fine.

SMS works just fine.

You can easily change the quality of the pictures you take. Camera, options, image resolution. Easy.

Either your phone is messed up or, as is more likely, these are user errors.

I can't believe you actually read that

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

dfur1016

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
i just got the HOX this weekend and i havent experienced any real issues yet but i do understand that this is a new release so im not gonna get too upset if i come across some bugs before any updates roll out. the only thing making me consider taking the phone back is the size, i love the screen but it is just too big. my hands are normal size but i really should not have to use two hands to flip through menus and contort my hand so that the phone doesnt fall out.

varsityhacker

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I feel like Kanye West "I don't care what none of you say I still love her". Multitasking has been tweaked to kill apps quicker no doubt, there are plenty of videos and real world tests that prove that apps are killed quickly when you exit the app via the home button and reload when you select them in the task manager. However, it does appear that the aggressive app/memory management does increase the battery life of the phone. I had my phone on wifi and got 1 day 2 hours and had 53% battery left. That is better battery life then any Android device I have ever had and better then my IPhone 4s. For me and how I use my phone I will live with a web page reload etc. for the improved battery life.

jspidey

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I feel like Kanye West "I don't care what none of you say I still love her". Multitasking has been tweaked to kill apps quicker no doubt, there are plenty of videos and real world tests that prove that apps are killed quickly when you exit the app via the home button and reload when you select them in the task manager. However, it does appear that the aggressive app/memory management does increase the battery life of the phone. I had my phone on wifi and got 1 day 2 hours and had 53% battery left. That is better battery life then any Android device I have ever had and better then my IPhone 4s. For me and how I use my phone I will live with a web page reload etc. for the improved battery life.

How are people getting this insane sort of battery life??? I unplug my phone at 6am and I'm down past 50% by the time it's 5pm. Granted, I'm still new to the phone (got it last Tuesday) but I was expecting the device to last longer than my Nexus One but it's not the case at this point in time.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
How are people getting this insane sort of battery life??? I unplug my phone at 6am and I'm down past 50% by the time it's 5pm. Granted, I'm still new to the phone (got it last Tuesday) but I was expecting the device to last longer than my Nexus One but it's not the case at this point in time.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

So in 11 hours of active use you only consume 50%?

That means Out of the box you are getting 22 hours.

Can't see what you are complaining about. Once you get to the point where you establish your normal daily routine with the phone, 28 hours should be easily accomplished.

Stay on wifi when ever possible and use auto brightness on the screen.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
It just really depends on how you use your phone. It's very difficult to compare your battery usage to the screenshots you see posted. Some people get ridiculous battery life, some complain about the phone dying in a matter of hours.

In the first few days of use, my phone barely lasted the day. Now (a week and a half later), the phone lasts much longer. I did a factory reset on the device (which I think helped with both battery and performance), and I've heard the battery improves over time (to some extent). But I also used the phone ALL the time at first - I was constantly downloading apps, browsing the web, looking at e-mails, etc. Now it's a more normalized every-day sort of use.

I've also found that battery life really depends on the type of usage. LTE + continuous screen use really hurts. So if you're browsing the web a lot in an LTE area, it drains quickly. Exact opposite in airplane mode - I feel like the screen lasts forever... an hour-long TV show drained ~10% battery for me.

In standby, the phone also lasts a long time. If you use it lightly, you can last out 2 days without a charge.

Below 50% after 5pm is very reasonable if you're using the phone moderately/heavily.

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Just thought I'd chime in and add that I'm also experiencing the multitasking issue, the wifi issue, and the gmail push issue.

For all of you who say you aren't having those issues -- great, I wish I was amongst you. But if you think these issues do not exist or that they are "user error," open your eyes -- there are countless threads and posts on every android forum imaginable detailing these issues. HTC even acknowledged the wifi issue.

So yes, there are issues. Are issues to be expected with new devices? Absolutely. The key is to put out reliable fixes relatively quickly. And I would add that some of these issues are more serious than others. The wifi bug is a pretty bad one given how frequently people rely on wifi. The push email bug is also pretty serious for those of us in professions that require prompt receipt of emails. Not to mention, these are extremely basic functions of a smart phone. I can understand multitasking being messed up. But wifi and email not functioning properly? Gimme a break.

gravage

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Just thought I'd chime in and add that I'm also experiencing the multitasking issue, the wifi issue, and the gmail push issue.

For all of you who say you aren't having those issues -- great, I wish I was amongst you. But if you think these issues do not exist or that they are "user error," open your eyes -- there are countless threads and posts on every android forum imaginable detailing these issues. HTC even acknowledged the wifi issue.

So yes, there are issues. Are issues to be expected with new devices? Absolutely. The key is to put out reliable fixes relatively quickly. And I would add that some of these issues are more serious than others. The wifi bug is a pretty bad one given how frequently people rely on wifi. The push email bug is also pretty serious for those of us in professions that require prompt receipt of emails. Not to mention, these are extremely basic functions of a smart phone. I can understand multitasking being messed up. But wifi and email not functioning properly? Gimme a break.

I could understand the multitasking being messed up, too, if it was just buggy, but it's completely crippled and barely works at all. It's basically the opposite of Android Multitasking and barely better than iOS 3.0 in its current state.

I was noticing the delay in Gmail and exchange mail and, while annoying, was willing to live with it and wait for a fix. I could have even dealt with the sms notification issue knowing that a fix was on the way, but not this, not when HTC thinks it's working right.

neoenigma

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
There is seemingly no multitasking preset on the One X. Period. It's broken :(

I've been able to live with it... but I hope they fix it. Not the quality I've come to expect from them.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
There is seemingly no multitasking preset on the One X. Period. It's broken :(

I've been able to live with it... but I hope they fix it. Not the quality I've come to expect from them.

So in other words, when you are playing music, and you switch to email or s Web browser your music stops? Or if surfing the web, no mail arrives?

No multitasking is a pretty ignorant claim.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Ardrid

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Come on, you know what he means. Using music (a system task) running in the background while you open the browser is a pretty poor example of what we all know to be legitimate Android multitasking. If your example were enough, Android fans wouldn't have ripped iOS for as long as they have.

Reactions: Air Force One

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo