HTC ONE X - WiFi Experience on 2 new phones - AT&T

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
What about bluetooth, did you leave it on, or turn it off?

I have an escalation issue in with HTC about looping trying to obtain an IP. I even sent them logs. They have called me back 3 times with status reports. I'm going to try and find out exactly what best wifi performance means.

Sent from my HOX

towerdave

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
What about bluetooth, did you leave it on, or turn it off?

I have an escalation issue in with HTC about looping trying to obtain an IP. I even sent them logs. They have called me back 3 times with status reports. I'm going to try and find out exactly what best wifi performance means.

Sent from my HOX

Are you having this issue with Bluetooth on all the time? I may be having the same issue.

TD

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

sony66

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
My testing up until now shows that WiFi 801.11bg works fine.
If I set my AP to 801.11ng then the connection gets bad.
It disconnects or jumps to really low speeds.
It gets worse when there are 2 or more AP's with the same SSID.
The AP reports that the One X supports QOS / ERP and PWR_MGT

I do not know of a way to disable WiFi N on the One X.

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Well, Im not sure this is the place to post, But I have a fairly new OneX, about a week old, (AT&T) Variant completely stock. No Games, just some simple apps, nothing out of the ordinary, also there is a fantastic FREE app called Wifi Analyser, which im using as well.

I have moved from a Atrix2 to a OneX, and based on what Im seeing with Wifi Analyser, the One X wifi Range is substantially less than what it was on the A2. If I move several rooms away, lets say to my Living room, the signal strength gets cut in half.

I called HTC yesterday and was told the Best Wifi setting is basically a signal amplifier- I tried it, with and without and according to wifi analyser there was no difference.

I am having problems with wifi "Locking up or lagging". Using AC as a example, Ill Tab Internet, history, and select AC- in most instances it will "Slam" open, and then...It locks up- The green bar in the brower will move slightly stop, and in some instances Ill get a pure white page. Im also getting Connection to Server Timed out, and Network error. Simply put if I try to access another web site or AC, the Bowser window will open, the green bar will move slightly and then stop, and its Kaput-

Ive also noticed a varience in behavior of the wifi icon as well. If I wake the device, in most instance ill get a immediate wifi signal or full umbrella, otherwise it will wink several times before it is a solid icon, again.

I have tried Flushing the Cache on Internet, also have tried Restart, close and reopen apps, and when I do that I get a "Loading" on start up of the OneX. At that point generally the wifi issue is much better, but not always.

When I spoke with the Gal from HTC yesterday, I asked if there was any indication of wifi problems, other than the Hardware issue, she said yes, but was unable to discuss them?

Other than the Network Error, or Server Timed Out warnings, I have had no Forced Closes, or any other Issues, and when its working right, the One is absoultely a Beast! Its Lightening Fast.

Im seeing alot of posts from people who appear to be seasoned and well experiened individuals, I was hopeful i can gather some good input as to whats wrong. It just doesnt make sense, the first 5 days were a flawlwss performance, and then "Boom" all of a sudden, there are problems.

I had considered a Galaxy S-3, but when I saw them both in the store side by side, the One X for me was the Clear winner, and the Display is drop dead gorgeous in a Heart Beat-

Updated Forum Message:

I have been seeing issues posted with wifi regarding the OneX, Antenna, Softtware, and Hardware Issues, so I decided last evening to take a shot at something and see if it makes a difference. I took a ride in my Vehicle for about 90 minutes,(no wifi available, but "On") and accessed numerous websites, Without experiencing any "Browser Lock-up or Freeze" I then returned home, turned wifi OFF, and at my desk, continued to access sites without Lag, Freeze, or the Browser hanging- I then turned wifi back on, and in about 6 minutes experienced a Browser Freeze-

I also noticed the "Range" on wifi is very poor. I go from 40db at my desk to 80db in my living room, which truthfully is not that far away, about 35-40 feet away! The Router I have is a Linksys WRT-330N Ultimate Gamer N router with Dual Antennas.

Hopeful to hear from someone who may be able to explain this Weird behavior of my OneX.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

towerdave

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Just got off the phone with AT&T. The guy I spoke with promised an update in the next two weeks that will fix my wifi issue. He said that HTC has acknowledged a software issue and is readying this update. He's supposed to call next week with a further update.

He also had me power off and remove my SIM, and did something on his end, then had me put the SIM back in and power on. Said he was sending some sort of minor update, but I didn't see anything happen.

My wifi seems to be a bit better, not disconnecting so much.

TD

Last edited:

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I have an escalation item in with HTC about a wifi issue, (different then this one, but perhaps related). Mine is the International version.

The rep called me back yesterday and said there was an OTA update coming in the "next few weeks" to fix this issue. He did not know precisely when, he says they purposely do not tell Phone Support people the precise date.

He did say the international version is serviced direct from HTC and not from the carrier, so he says there is usually much less delay, because the carriers do not get a chance to impose delays. (Another reason why I always by non-carrier phones).

Asked him about "Best WIFI Performance" and he said it does not really increase power, it just prevents the WIFI chip set from going into low power sleep mode. (At the expense of about twice the battery usage that wifi would otherwise take).

Because of the way TCP/IP works, mobile wifi chipsets can reduce power very deeply, and if they miss some packets its ok, because they just request a resend. It doesn't matter if they don't it right away because the phone is asleep in your pocket. The wifi connection is still up and running, but its just running very slowly.

Even in this sleep state its still watching for sockets to become readable (data waiting to be received) to handle push notifications. If it senses a notification, it raises its power state to handle the data, but it might miss a few packets and have to ask for a re-transmission.

I'm beginning to think the problem the OP mentioned is that the sleep state is too deep, and nothing is getting through. Plugging into USB prevents it from sleeping.

Maybe Best WIFI Performance would work as well, but it does use more battery.

thewalmartguy

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
This may not be relevant, but I'll throw it in just in case.

I have never had wi-fi issues with my phone and have been perplexed by these reports. I have it set to always on.

My serial number starts with h25. I haven't seen that posted yet. Could it be a batch issue and I just got lucky? Just a guess at this point.

Can anyone who doesn't have the issues check their serial to see how it applies. If it is that simple, request that series on an exchange and see of the'll do it.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
My new replacement was a HT26 and no issues. My old phone was HT23.

towerdave

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm going on two days now since the update with no wifi disconnects like before. So far, so good.

TD

Iamdunne

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I have the h24 version, bought. 2 months ago. I don't have any wi-fi issues.

I got my phone on launch day and have H24 only wifi issues I ever had/have is when I am a distance from router the wifi umbrella may fluctuate from full bars down to just the dot where I wonder if I am going to lose wifi.

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I have a H26HW series and the update improved the phone in certain instances.
My browser is worse than ever and it seems .repeated to the WiFi radio witch sucks when it comes to range. My browser is constantly lagging or locking up even freezing. I can totally lock up, flush cache restart, and the problem is cured for a few minutes...if I go into the living room the browser craps out, then walking back to my room where the router is, the browser starts working again. Do i have the same problem when I turn WiFi off...nope.!
If it wouldn't be for the drop dead gorgeous display on this phone, I would jump ship. Any help would be appreciated. l want to cure the problem first not just slap in another browser.

Last edited:

timtlm

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone confirm that the new OTA udpate has fixed the delayed notifications when the phone is on wifi and sleeping? This thread talks about two issues, Wifi disconnecting, and wifi sleep state and notification delays. Specifically I'm interested in notification delays. I actually own an Evo LTE, and I experience the same notification delays as I've outlined in this post on the HTC forums: Notifications Late on Wifi when screen is off. FIX THIS HTC!!! - HTC EVO

I'm compiling a list of threads where people are talking about this notification/wifi sleep issue, and so far, this thread seems the most complete.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone confirm that the new OTA udpate has fixed the delayed notifications when the phone is on wifi and sleeping? This thread talks about two issues, Wifi disconnecting, and wifi sleep state and notification delays. Specifically I'm interested in notification delays. I actually own an Evo LTE, and I experience the same notification delays as I've outlined in this post on the HTC forums: Notifications Late on Wifi when screen is off. FIX THIS HTC!!! - HTC EVO

I'm compiling a list of threads where people are talking about this notification/wifi sleep issue, and so far, this thread seems the most complete.

I got an ht24 replacement with 2.2 update and no WiFi/notifications issues.

Sent from my HTC One X

timtlm

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I got an ht24 replacement with 2.2 update and no WiFi/notifications issues.

Sent from my HTC One X

Thanks for the reply. Did you have any delayed notification issues prior to getting your replacement? In my case wifi is very stable, and it is connected all of the time, but if I send myself a talk message from another account, the notification is delayed, or doesn't come in until I turn the screen on.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Did you have any delayed notification issues prior to getting your replacement? In my case wifi is very stable, and it is connected all of the time, but if I send myself a talk message from another account, the notification is delayed, or doesn't come in until I turn the screen on.

Hate to sound like a phone rep but it could be a network issue. Have att reset your imei.

My last hox was HT25 and flawless even before root/rom. The issue I had was the sim reader somehow broke and wouldn't read any sim card I put in.

Sent from my HTC One X

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo