The HTC One will be a hit, pass Galaxy S4 for ONE reason..

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Comparisons in terms of what? Design goes to the One. Camera, I'm not too sure. I haven't heard anything about the S4s but I've seen mixed reviews about the One. Performance? Think that depends on which variant of the S4 they use but I expect the One to win. Dunno what else goes into these test because I barely look at them but I think the One will hold its own..

Besides, if HTC makes commercials like the one they did while outside of the Samsung event, oh boy, look out. That's all that needs to be said. LOOK OUT. Stellar commercials like that which show off the useful features, along with the fact its got a notable name and beautiful design? Look out Samsung. Heck, look out Apple and the iPhone as well.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
I feel the same way. Imo the One is a well rounded phone that brings features that have not been attempted before or sparingly. The attention to detail is unlike anything I've ever seen. My worry is that this won't be enough to persuade the author to see things the same way. It seems most like to focus on what a device doesn't have vs it's competitor when choosing a winner.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I feel the same way. Imo the One is a well rounded phone that brings features that have not been attempted before or sparingly. The attention to detail is unlike anything I've ever seen. My worry is that this won't be enough to persuade the author to see things the same way. It seems most like to focus on what a device doesn't have vs it's competitor when choosing a winner.

From what I've seen early on the s4 beat out the "one" in performance scores. The one was no slouch but the s4 performed better. What features are you referencing?

Here's my reference btw. And I'm not bashing the one or anything, just putting numbers and facts to it instead of saying the one will probably be better...

Samsung Galaxy S 4 crushes iPhone 5, other leading phones in early performance tests

http://bgr.com/2013/03/19/galaxy-s-4-iphone-5-comparison-performance-385274/

Sent from my Note 2

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
From what I've seen early on the s4 beat out the "one" in performance scores. The one was no slouch but the s4 performed better. What features are you referencing?

Here's my reference btw. And I'm not bashing the one or anything, just putting numbers and facts to it instead of saying the one will probably be better...

Samsung Galaxy S 4 crushes iPhone 5, other leading phones in early performance tests

Galaxy S 4, iPhone 5 comparison: Galaxy S 4 vs. iPhone 5 performance | BGR

Sent from my Note 2

When I say features, it's in reference to the BoomSound, Ultrapixel approach, the Zoe photo and video capabilities, the display technology, and any Sense 5 specific functionality. From a software standpoint the entire application portfolio of the galaxy series seems to offer more features for daily use. I'm not going to debate the effective usefulness no more than I would for Ultrapixel technology (which I think is amazing). A reviewer (see Phone Dog HTC one vs sgn2) might be more attracted to the amount of features (hardware and software) a device has and will use that as the most important factor.

That's all I was trying to say. The HTC will have a hard time earning wins if it comes down to who has the most features.

As for the benchmark, usually the results are followed by the "you won't notice the difference in real world use" comment...same with comparing the ppi. But they do give an idea of what a device is capable of.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
When I say features, it's in reference to the BoomSound, Ultrapixel approach, the Zoe photo and video capabilities, the display technology, and any Sense 5 specific functionality. From a software standpoint the entire application portfolio of the galaxy series seems to offer more features for daily use. I'm not going to debate the effective usefulness no more than I would for Ultrapixel technology (which I think is amazing). A reviewer (see Phone Dog HTC one vs sgn2) might be more attracted to the amount of features (hardware and software) a device has and will use that as the most important factor.

That's all I was trying to say. The HTC will have a hard time earning wins if it comes down to who has the most features.

As for the benchmark, usually the results are followed by the "you won't notice the difference in real world use" comment...same with comparing the ppi. But they do give an idea of what a device is capable of.

Fair enough, just curious

Sent from my Note 2

Clashman

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Back to the original post, while I would like to see HTC make up some ground against the S4, and think that the S4 is not particularly inspiring, the trends are not encouraging:
Google Trends

Revisiting my thread today, things maybe don't look so terrible for HTC, after all. Compared with last year, once the S3 was announced, the One X never came close to passing it up in search volume:

Google Trends

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Except the One X did pass the S3 in search volume at the start of March 2012 and much of April. I don't know off the top of my head when the S3 was initially unveiled but May is when the phone hit retailers and that's why you see a spike from there onward. It would also help to do this a little bit later, wait until both phones are on the market, then compare. I don't doubt there's some interest in the One but it's hard to get an idea of how much going from just these graphs. If it hangs in there then, then HTC is making some profit.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I feel like HTC is going to do better now that they're on lots of carriers with the same phone, but Samsung will still trump them this year. Their marketing machine is just too strong at this point.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR i

my sentiments exactly. the HTC one looks to be a GREAT phone, but HTC has had some seriously flawed phones in the past 2-3 years, and Samsung is still riding the Wave that the S2 (which is STILL selling well with smaller carriers) created. HTC needs to throw more money at marketing, because apparently Apple and Samsung has figured out that having your product on TV works. not saying that Samsung and apple makes crappy products, because they don't, but the numbers don't lie. HTC CANNOT make up that much ground with one phone. they just can't.

Clashman

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Except the One X did pass the S3 in search volume at the start of March 2012 and much of April. I don't know off the top of my head when the S3 was initially unveiled but May is when the phone hit retailers and that's why you see a spike from there onward. It would also help to do this a little bit later, wait until both phones are on the market, then compare. I don't doubt there's some interest in the One but it's hard to get an idea of how much going from just these graphs. If it hangs in there then, then HTC is making some profit.

Galaxy S3 wasn't officially announced until May 3rd, after which HTC One X never passed the S3 in terms of search volume:
Samsung officially announces the Galaxy S3 | Android Central

Granted, you can't read too much into these graphs, but things do look at least a bit more positive this round.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I honestly hope this helps HTC. I don't need them to dethrone Samsung or Apple, I just want them to have decent growth. I always loved the materials and feel of their phones. They feel solid in hand and look fantastic in my opinion. Mostly though, I want them to do well to keep spurring competition! Consumers win when the competition is good.

beautiful point.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
It ain't happening.

Samsung has too many advantages over the one already and the gs4 won't be able to compete.

Sbeam, swipe for screen shots, pop up video player, voice control for apps, microsd card, replaceable battery, all things the one already has fallen short on against the galaxy S III and the 4 isn't even here yet!

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

good points. even IF the S4 and the HTC One come out even as far as sales, Samsung still has the Note 2, S3, and S2 that people still actually purchase now. Samsung is a Juggernaut that the only flaw seems to be the "plasticky" feel. personally, i don't need my phone to "look" good, I need it to "work" good. ****, I like the way my Rezound "looks", and feels. but it has flaws that i can't wait to let go of. and if that means going to "plasticky" samsung for a better "working" phone, then that's what I'm doing. BTW, HTC One not being on Verizon, the biggest carrier out there, can't be a good thing.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I know this is EXTREMELY difficult for a lot of people to understand, but try to stick with me here for a sec.......Plastic does not always equal "crap". I know it FEELS cheap, but it isn't always the case. The S3 kicks the shiz out of almost every single HTC phone ever made, and it's plastic. The HTC ONE will be freaking awesome, and the One X+ was on the same plane as the S3. There's no way that 40 million people would not only buy, but love their phone if it was a cheap piece of trash.

Everyone's favorite pasttime is to dog on Samsung, but it's tough for you to get a decent analysis of their product when you are lightyears behind. They have a lot of weaknesses and problems, but their flagship devices are almost never one of them. Glock uses polymer to make their guns. Everyone called it the "plastic gun" when it came out, and now the majority of worldwide law enforcement and military officials carry Glock. It is trusted, dependable, and it is quality. Nothing to shake a fist at. Don't fall into the same trap of assuming all "plastic" is "crap".

yep. exactly. oh yeah, and how often does plastic break when you drop it? and yes, people DO drop their phones. all the time. I think Samsung knows what the Heck they're doing.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Galaxy S3 wasn't officially announced until May 3rd, after which HTC One X never passed the S3 in terms of search volume:
Samsung officially announces the Galaxy S3 | Android Central

Granted, you can't read too much into these graphs, but things do look at least a bit more positive this round.

Ah, for some reason I was under the impression the S3 had announced earlier than that. Looks like Samsung did an Apple and made the product available shortly after announcement. In that case I stand corrected, but I do feel it would be better to wait until even more data is available. One thing's for sure though, HTC's going to need some commercials. Apple has their commercials, Samsung has theirs, and they also get endorsed by big networks like ESPN, etc. While HTC gets a commercial spot a couple seconds long where they actually make no mention of having a phone out (in America anyway), it's usually just the "quietly brilliant" slogan and then it ends. If I weren't a tech enthusiast, the only time I'd know HTC released a phone last year is if it were the Droid DNA or Windows Phone 8x. Both of which were pushed by Verizon themselves.

Last edited:

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
If you don't think the GS3 IS one of the best ever, you're up in the night. Every tech website i follow said it was phone of the year, but here on HTC's threads, everyone says it's a cheap crap phone that only succeeded cause of advertising. I'm seeing a pattern here..........I think when Phil and other website admins use every phone for the whole year and say the S3 is the best, i believe them.

If HTC is too stupid to tell people about their device, then that's their fault. Samsung isn't supposed to hide in a cave until HTC wakes up. They could make the greatest device on the planet, but if it's only available to 20% of the market, what good does that do me? I'm not switching carriers for some HTC device. Their only claim to fame has been beats. They are just now getting the hint with the new One, but hopefully last year's 403 "One" devices haven't caused too much confusion already.

IMO, HTC needs to step up their marketing. when I first got it, I Loved my Thunderbolt. however, it wasn't marketing that made me choose it, but my familiarity with HTC (eris). also, the samsung charge and LG Revolution were the only other two choices for Big Red. Samsung has put out quality, as well as quantity, and have marketed them to the hilt. I'm sure Samsung has phones in their history that they regret, but overall, they seem to have figured out how to get our money out of our grubby hands.

jc411

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I honestly hope this helps HTC. I don't need them to dethrone Samsung or Apple, I just want them to have decent growth. I always loved the materials and feel of their phones. They feel solid in hand and look fantastic in my opinion. Mostly though, I want them to do well to keep spurring competition! Consumers win when the competition is good.

^this.

Sent from my One V using Android Central Forums