The HTC One will be a hit, pass Galaxy S4 for ONE reason..

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Big time. So sick of reading comments complaining about phones lacking these two features.

Haven't you heard? If the HTC One X shipped with an SD card slot, it would have been the top selling Android device last year.

lol

anon(894603)

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I love this phone, I can't wait for it to come out for Sprint. I'm ditching my Evo Design 4G for it.!

Sent from my PH44100 using Android Central Forums

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Haven't you heard? If the HTC One X shipped with an SD card slot, it would have been the top selling Android device last year.

lol

Once everyone acknowledges that Samsung are the clearly and obviously superior to all other android manufacturers, we can all move forward in a proper direction.

Sent from owning you using Tapatalk 2

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
It will happen. Now that they are using the One Phone, Multiple Carriers model and focus all their attention on this, I think they will succeed. People will see a beautiful and functional phone, and be able to actually go to their carriers and buy it (unless they're on Verizon). Availability is key. You can't make a great phone and then only sell it to one carrier and segment your buyers. Thats just bad business and I do not for the life of me understand why HTC did this. I thought for sure the One X would be on all carries and they disappointed me with that. Stuck to my S2 on Tmo and got the Nexus 4 last Christmas. Still love my N4 and will use it for the future but I like HTC despite ugly Sense because the phone is nice looking and they have great cameras.
Hopefully, there will be software
Updates in a timely manner.
Remember the one x was suppose to get JB before Christmas?

Sent from my Coconut Wireless

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Originally Posted by go3go<br />
Big time. So sick of reading comments complaining about phones lacking these two features.
<br />
<br />
Haven't you heard? If the HTC One X shipped with an SD card slot, it would have been the top selling Android device last year.<br />
<br />
lol
The Evo 4G LTE had this feature and a bigger battery and kickstand to boot...
How did it not end up a top seller?
Can't blame sprint

Sent from my Coconut Wireless

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I want HTC to Destroy with this phone and business model. I love HTC and the way they make solid phones no plastic crap.

I know this is EXTREMELY difficult for a lot of people to understand, but try to stick with me here for a sec.......Plastic does not always equal "crap". I know it FEELS cheap, but it isn't always the case. The S3 kicks the shiz out of almost every single HTC phone ever made, and it's plastic. The HTC ONE will be freaking awesome, and the One X+ was on the same plane as the S3. There's no way that 40 million people would not only buy, but love their phone if it was a cheap piece of trash.

Everyone's favorite pasttime is to dog on Samsung, but it's tough for you to get a decent analysis of their product when you are lightyears behind. They have a lot of weaknesses and problems, but their flagship devices are almost never one of them. Glock uses polymer to make their guns. Everyone called it the "plastic gun" when it came out, and now the majority of worldwide law enforcement and military officials carry Glock. It is trusted, dependable, and it is quality. Nothing to shake a fist at. Don't fall into the same trap of assuming all "plastic" is "crap".

oehrensperger

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I think this will change and goes along with the One World Phone model. One phone for the whole world, not different variations for different carries or different territories with difference screen sizes and millions of variables to consider when delivering an update. I'm not sure if the One X ever received the update, or if any HTC phone that launched in North America last year even received it yet besides the DNA that launched with it, but I think this will change this year since now they only have one phone to update. I anticipate fast updates like the S3 was with Jelly Bean.

Also, the One ships with Jelly Bean anyway so thats a plus at least. Sure its not 4.2, but I dont for the life of me know any key features in 4.2 that non-nexus users are missing anyway. Photosphere? Lock screen widgets? Meh, good features to have but nothing groundbreaking like Google Now was for 4.1. I hope OEMs skip 4.2 and just wait for 5.0 to roll out and just focus on that.

For what it's worth, the EVO 4G LTE got JB in the second week of December. T-mobile and AT&T are to blame for the lack of JB on the One S and One X. If the One significantly increases market share for HTC, maybe those carriers will improve their HTC update record.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I know this is EXTREMELY difficult for a lot of people to understand, but try to stick with me here for a sec.......Plastic does not always equal "crap". I know it FEELS cheap, but it isn't always the case. The S3 kicks the shiz out of almost every single HTC phone ever made, and it's plastic. The HTC ONE will be freaking awesome, and the One X+ was on the same plane as the S3. There's no way that 40 million people would not only buy, but love their phone if it was a cheap piece of trash.

Everyone's favorite pasttime is to dog on Samsung, but it's tough for you to get a decent analysis of their product when you are lightyears behind. They have a lot of weaknesses and problems, but their flagship devices are almost never one of them. Glock uses polymer to make their guns. Everyone called it the "plastic gun" when it came out, and now the majority of worldwide law enforcement and military officials carry Glock. It is trusted, dependable, and it is quality. Nothing to shake a fist at. Don't fall into the same trap of assuming all "plastic" is "crap".

I'll be hypocritical. I didn't care for build quality too much. Watching HTC and Sony engineers describe the design process they used, made me appreciate the attention to detail. Construction using poorly engineered materials is a sin in my eyes. For example, I view the S3 as being a device created using a low-cost manufacturing process. I think corners were cut in order to achieve a look without having the substance to confirm it. The hyper-glaze coating used to protect the faux metal trim and faux texture seems to be a lower level of design effort compared to the Nexus 4 and Xperia Z. Likewise for the construction of the removable back cover. I find that to be lacking in rigidity, but I don't think that's avoidable. Having a 1-piece design that size needs to be able to endure repeated drops and removal.

The only first hand comparison of good/bad construction I can think of, is between the ASUS Transformer Infinity and the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. After handling those two devices, I concluded that both the construction and materials of the Note 10.1 are very poor compared to the Transformer Infinity.

In spite of my closed-minded ignorance, I don't use the construction of a device as the only metric to gauge how good/bad something is. If I consider a device as "cheap", it's just an observation of one aspect and not an overall generalization. That's just me. With that said, it looks like the HTC One is currently the best engineered Android device at the moment.

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site

I was trying to stay out of this one but comments like this one remind me why I appreciate what HTC has been doing.

I remember last years HTC One X/S announcement, their video footage describing the very meaning of their product, manufacturing process, and attention to details. I remember how excited I was to check it out, but waited for expected Samsung's SGS3 announcement weeks away. And the announcement came...
I remember watching Samsung's live keynote, and wondering if it was a joke? Everything about that keynote was weird, off, screaming lack of creativity. It felt forced, poorly rehearsed. Especially after witnessing simplistic HTC's event weeks prior introducing their beautifully designed products. But right away I could tell that Samsung doesn't care about throwing their money left and right for their marketing... That stage was so unnecessary huge that it reminded me of propaganda from communist Soviet, or WWII German era... Their product was clearly not nearly as special as they were trying to make it look like.

Fast forward to fall of 2012, and Samsung's GS3 has been introduced on every single operator globally, their ads are still airing on our networks, and most americans think that's the best Android phone ever created. HTC completely failed to invest and market their brand, their superior One X hardware was released on only one US carrier, average americans don't even remember or care about HTC brand. They have been forgotten. HTC has been doing so poorly that they've completely removed themselves from Korean market, unable to compete.

Samsung completely dominated the Android market by sheer brute force of their advertising $$$, and by building a product that undoubtedly brings them higher margin than HTC, since they've used much cheaper materials, off the shelf battery, etc...
Lets just hope and pray that HTC comes back and reinstates themselves as a strong number 2 competitor, since at this point there is only Samsung, and the "rest" in Android market. Competing is the only way innovate.

SpiralBorg

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Hope the HTC One will succeed, had good memories of the HTC Touch HD. For me, HTC always made great, solid devices, though recently, have been obliterated by devices in the vein of the S3, and so on. Hope it succeeds, but what worry me, is the Galaxy SIV, a stellar line of phones, and don't think it would disappoint. Hope both succeed, in the end.

Sent from my MZ604 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
So 40 million plus people bought a cheap plastic phone for the hell of it right? Lol Samsung is doing a great job and that "cheap plastic" doesn't not feel bad whatsoever.

Sent from my Sammy Device.

Not for the hell of it, but yes. Samsung's marketing was the best from anyone last year, including Apple's. They did two important things with that marketing, get the name out there and position themselves as the anti-apple, the company you "root" for if you hate Apple. This along with having one phone distributed worldwide, and that it had every feature available, is what made it a success.

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of people don't care so much about quality as they do about features. You see this alot in the "PC vs Mac" thing where people who buy macs argue about how much better it is and the pc people talk about how much of a rip-off it is because they can get the same features for half the price. The GS3 is packed with features, and that is a huge selling point when they can say "The GS3 can do that AND it can also do this" when compared to other handsets, but when the quality is questioned you get "The screen looks fine" or "It doesn't feel that bad" which is harder to quantify in comparison. No question the screen on the One X is better than the GS3, but quantified how much better is it? Same with the design.

I was trying to stay out of this one but comments like this one remind me why I appreciate what HTC has been doing.

I remember last years HTC One X/S announcement, their video footage describing the very meaning of their product, manufacturing process, and attention to details. I remember how excited I was to check it out, but waited for expected Samsung's SGS3 announcement weeks away. And the announcement came...
I remember watching Samsung's live keynote, and wondering if it was a joke? Everything about that keynote was weird, off, screaming lack of creativity. It felt forced, poorly rehearsed. Especially after witnessing simplistic HTC's event weeks prior introducing their beautifully designed products. But right away I could tell that Samsung doesn't care about throwing their money left and right for their marketing... That stage was so unnecessary huge that it reminded me of propaganda from communist Soviet, or WWII German era... Their product was clearly not nearly as special as they were trying to make it look like.

Fast forward to fall of 2012, and Samsung's GS3 has been introduced on every single operator globally, their ads are still airing on our networks, and most americans think that's the best Android phone ever created. HTC completely failed to invest and market their brand, their superior One X hardware was released on only one US carrier, average americans don't even remember or care about HTC brand. They have been forgotten. HTC has been doing so poorly that they've completely removed themselves from Korean market, unable to compete.

Samsung completely dominated the Android market by sheer brute force of their advertising $$$, and by building a product that undoubtedly brings them higher margin than HTC, since they've used much cheaper materials, off the shelf battery, etc...
Lets just hope and pray that HTC comes back and reinstates themselves as a strong number 2 competitor, since at this point there is only Samsung, and the "rest" in Android market. Competing is the only way innovate.

That's one of the things that bugs me about Samsung when compared to other manufacturers. Companies like Apple, Sony, HTC, and even Motorola seem as though they have a vision of the kind of product they want to create and have a head engineer/designer on the same page and creates it, where as Samsung just seems like the people in the boardrooms tell the engineers what to make. Best analogy would be the stereotypical t.v. show, where you got people from the network telling the writers to do this or that because audiences love it.

maryjane2300

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

I'm blind because I've had about 5 HTC devices and they were all sh.it and I'm just supposed to have faith in HTC all of a sudden? Uh no. Not how it works.

Sent from my Sammy Device.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Not for the hell of it, but yes. Samsung's marketing was the best from anyone last year, including Apple's. They did two important things with that marketing, get the name out there and position themselves as the anti-apple, the company you "root" for if you hate Apple. This along with having one phone distributed worldwide, and that it had every feature available, is what made it a success.

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of people don't care so much about quality as they do about features. You see this alot in the "PC vs Mac" thing where people who buy macs argue about how much better it is and the pc people talk about how much of a rip-off it is because they can get the same features for half the price. The GS3 is packed with features, and that is a huge selling point when they can say "The GS3 can do that AND it can also do this" when compared to other handsets, but when the quality is questioned you get "The screen looks fine" or "It doesn't feel that bad" which is harder to quantify in comparison. No question the screen on the One X is better than the GS3, but quantified how much better is it? Same with the design.

That's one of the things that bugs me about Samsung when compared to other manufacturers. Companies like Apple, Sony, HTC, and even Motorola seem as though they have a vision of the kind of product they want to create and have a head engineer/designer on the same page and creates it, where as Samsung just seems like the people in the boardrooms tell the engineers what to make. Best analogy would be the stereotypical t.v. show, where you got people from the network telling the writers to do this or that because audiences love it.

Thank you!!! The only reason Samsung is doing well is because of there advertising(which IMHO, is no where near the quality of Apples marketing)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non