How long to charge HTC One for the first time?

notionfresh

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi Androiders,

I have been an iphone user for many years and have finally decided to make the switch to android. My chosen device is the HTC One and it arrived today :D

My question is how long should I charge it for the first charge? Are there any guidelines for this as I can't find anything in the HTC documentation? Sorry if this question has been asked already.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure about the charging time. I heard from someone else that said they got their htc one today. How did you order it?

Tidey_

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Regardless of what phone it is, best thing to do is use it till the battery dies and then charge it overnight. That means you're giving it a complete charge instead of just topping it up to full. That's always worked with me :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Acelx

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
You do more harm to your battery letting it die then charging it.. The health of the battery will lose more charge cycles doing that

When you first get the phone use it till you get the 15% or 5% warning then charge it.. never let it die unless you have too.. keep this up and your battery will last you longer when using it.

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi Androiders,

I have been an iphone user for many years and have finally decided to make the switch to android. My chosen device is the HTC One and it arrived today :D

My question is how long should I charge it for the first charge? Are there any guidelines for this as I can't find anything in the HTC documentation? Sorry if this question has been asked already.

Don't need to make a long 1st charge anymore, the come ready to use with charge or as above said don't need to let the battery down anymore, the battery tech changed a lot science then!

Sent from my HTC One

unique9fl

May 18, 2013
Visit site
The HTC One does not come fully charged. I believe the HTC One S or X does (my wife has that one). I just got the HTC One tonight and manual clearly says it is not charged. Read instructions....

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Avoid letting it die, but otherwise charge and top off with impunity. Li ion batteries are not like the old Ni metal hydride batteries. The old rules of fully charging before first use or discharging x times or down to x % no longer apply.

Posted via Android Central App

Adam1902

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
You do more harm to your battery letting it die then charging it.. The health of the battery will lose more charge cycles doing that

When you first get the phone use it till you get the 15% or 5% warning then charge it.. never let it die unless you have too.. keep this up and your battery will last you longer when using it.

Huh? I was always under the impression that it worked the opposite way... Is this really the case with new batteries? When I got my One I let it fully die and gave it a full charge the first 3 times like I always have with my new phones, thinking I was doing it a favor...

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Huh? I was always under the impression that it worked the opposite way... Is this really the case with new batteries? When I got my One I let it fully die and gave it a full charge the first 3 times like I always have with my new phones, thinking I was doing it a favor...

A lot of people remember the full discharge from older battery tech. I read an article about this once and what people have been saying (charge often and don't allow a complete death) seems to be correct. The article had said the new battery tech had been kind of started with the original palms. This is why they had the charging docks. To encourage people to charge the battery more often and not allow the battery to die all the way. I'm sure a search on Google will show lots and lots of info about this subject. For my part after reading that article a few years ago I have avoided a full drain on my phones like the plague.

Edit: more info
" Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, so also does the depth of discharge (DoD) determine the cycle count. The shorter the discharge (low DoD), the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses"
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
This is also why if you look you'll see leaving most modern phones on the charger the phone will stop charging at full to let the battery drain a couple percent then it charges again, repeating until unplugged. It's perfectly Ok to leave your phone plugged in overnight.

Last edited:

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I've always allowed the battery to die before charging it initially. In fact, I fully discharge it about every 45 days or so. Each time I charge it, I leave it on charge for an hour or so past the fully charged indicator. In fact, this method is recommended by most battery manufacturers.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Adam1902

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
A lot of people remember the full discharge from older battery tech. I read an article about this once and what people have been saying (charge often and don't allow a complete death) seems to be correct. The article had said the new battery tech had been kind of started with the original palms. This is why they had the charging docks. To encourage people to charge the battery more often and not allow the battery to die all the way. I'm sure a search on Google will show lots and lots of info about this subject. For my part after reading that article a few years ago I have avoided a full drain on my phones like the plague.

Edit: more info
" Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, so also does the depth of discharge (DoD) determine the cycle count. The shorter the discharge (low DoD), the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses"
How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
This is also why if you look you'll see leaving most modern phones on the charger the phone will stop charging at full to let the battery drain a couple percent then it charges again, repeating until unplugged. It's perfectly Ok to leave your phone plugged in overnight.
Ahh, thanks for the informative reply man :), seems I was treating my Desire HD battery wrong then by fully depleting it every week sometimes more often. No wonder it's battery life was so crippled during it's last few months of being my main phone.

I'm happy to know that I can just, come in and plug it straight in regardless. I always used to skip charging for a night if I was staying in tomorrow and do a full deplete/charge. Thinking I was keeping it healthy, haha oh how wrong I was.

It's good you've told us this now I've got a phone where I can't replace the bloody battery if I knacker it.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Ahh, thanks for the informative reply man :), seems I was treating my Desire HD battery wrong then by fully depleting it every week sometimes more often. No wonder it's battery life was so crippled during it's last few months of being my main phone.

I'm happy to know that I can just, come in and plug it straight in regardless. I always used to skip charging for a night if I was staying in tomorrow and do a full deplete/charge. Thinking I was keeping it healthy, haha oh how wrong I was.

It's good you've told us this now I've got a phone where I can't replace the bloody battery if I knacker it.

You are welcome. Spread the word.