HTC One: Microphone Issues

td50

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I am having issues with my new HTC One. Specifically, people seem to have a hard time hearing me in calls. They say my voice is very muffled. This problem is independent of location or signal. However, when I place the call on speaker, people can hear me crystal clear.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Last edited by a moderator:

dave3389

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Microphone Issues

i had this prob with the gs3 at the start of the year, ended up getting the handset replaced due to it being faulty, take it back to the store and see what they say

supert1020

May 24, 2011
Visit site

I've also been told people are having a hard time hearing me.

Posted via Android Central App

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

I did too...but I have this habit of 1) placing my pinky on the bottom of the phone and 2) placing my finger toward the top of the phone (ya know, the way crapple tells you how to hold a phone). Both sometimes coves the mics making it hard for others to hear. Once I realized this and put my fingers elsewhere, people hear me crystal clear.

td50

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site

I just called HTC Technical Support. The lady told me that they are aware of microphone issues, but that the latest AT&T update (June 1st) was supposed to fix them.

We checked that I have the most updated version of the software, so clearly the update did not fix this issue...

Gothamoddisee

May 15, 2013
Visit site

I'm on T-Mobile and have had a similar issue. It seems as long as the phone is flat on my face ('normal' positioning) then I'm heard fine, but somehow - once I bring it away from my face to work on it while speaking the mic loses me. Good to know I'm not the only one. Thanks for sharing this.

I just called HTC Technical Support. The lady told me that they are aware of microphone issues, but that the latest AT&T update (June 1st) was supposed to fix them.

We checked that I have the most updated version of the software, so clearly the update did not fix this issue...

RoyTxxx

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site

I had a mic problem too.
In speaker mode it worked, but not in normal call mode.

But I discovered that it was the case that was the issue. I have the HTC Double Dip Flip Case.
The Mic is a tiny hole at the very bottom of the phone, next to the micro USB socket.
The case covers it, and the little hole in the case does not always align to the mic hole.

It might not be your issue, but it is worth checking.
A micro milling tool and a Dremel Multi solved it for me.

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

Same issue here folks! It's very wierd.
My AT&T HTC One is experiencing the same Mic issues as most.
When making a call via on-ear the recipient of the call get a very loud static sound and cannot hear anything I say.
As mentioned, when I put it on speakerphone they can hear me just fine.
What's strange is that this problem came about out of thin air.
I went to the bar a week ago and recorded a live show and it sounded fantastic, and as of yesterday I took another video of my dog and I get the loud static sound that the recipient of my calls get.
I am past AT&Ts 14 day period so therefore I'm SOL on that part. I just can't fathom why this issue would suddenly arise out of nowhere!?
Called HTC and I'll have to send it in for repair... Yay...
Just thought id share my experience thus far!
Goodluck to you all and I'll keep you posted on the status of my phone in the coming days/weeks!

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

Have you figured anything out yet? I was going to try and root and install a Rom to see if that helps, but I'm banking on a hardware issue.
Please let me know if you have figured anything out, I'm probably shipping mine off to HTC on Monday (7/1/13).

coxnsox

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

I just encountered the problem this morning, but a restart, which prompted Android upgrades, fixed the problem.:)

cASe SemSiTive

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

AT&T HTC One here.
I'm seeing this same issue. I happened once in a while, a few weeks ago, but I chalked it up to a bad cell (both times were in the same area of the city), and calling back the sound was fine.
Now it is useless unless I'm in speakerphone mode. That is crystal clear. Normal mode results in what sounds like muffled static/water running on the other end.
Not rooted and fully updated via OTA. Actually, updated long before the issue even came up.

bripat22

May 12, 2013
Visit site

People can't hear me at all without me having earbuds in
Does att swap phones if you have to send to HTC for repair ?

Posted via Android Central App

capnspunky

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

I had this problem but was ale to pinpoint it to me leaning the phone against my left shoulder and holding it with my cheek. It seems when I muffle the mic ( I think it's a mic) on the back of the phone my voice cuts out. If I hold the hone away from m shoulder I have zero issues now. As a test try covering up that mic on the back mid conversation and see if it muffles.

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site

I have a similar issue. The sound on my end is perfect but every call I make for the first 3-5 seconds they say they can't hear me and i sound muffled and all. But then I sound fine to them hoping the update will fix it or something I really don't feel like trading my phone in this is my only issue

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Int83

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site

I have the same problem on my phone (in Norway). When I speak directly into the small hole (next to the charger slot) my voice is clear. It must be some issue with the background noice filter or something. When my son speaks in the background he falls in and out on the other end.

Dont know when this will be fixed here in Europe :( not good buying a new phone and you cant even make a call withput bluetooth headset :p

LouCap

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

I was having this issue too, and it seems to correspond to when I hold the phone against my shoulder, thus blocking the ambient mic on the back. If I just don't do that, it works great.

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site

I just did some tests. If you have the Mic and phone not near your mouth it sounds like I'm under water but if you hold the phone correctly against your face and are speaking towards the Mic it sounds perfect.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power