HTC One: Microphone Issues

DamianZzz

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: Microphone Issues

same here. only from time to time but really annoying. I don't want to claim warranty since before my actual HTC ONE I changed 3 x Blackberry Q10 all with seriously battery problems. my provider offered me something else and even I was happy with this new device first days I realise that this mic problems is not make me 100% satisfied... 4.2.2 here btw

Elizabeth Forman

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site

Yes I have experienced this issue and with much research discovered it was the internal mic. In order to fix it I had to plug my earbuds into the jack and have someone call me. The earbuds have an internal mic. When they called I discovered that my mute button was triggered which I took off. I was careful not to turn on the speaker phone either and everything worked fine. The mute button apparently was halfway on and I may have hit it when I kept hitting the speaker button. I pulled out the earbud jack and had someone call me again and everything is fine. I hope this works for you, too.

Asif Chougle

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site

I had the same problem. But what i have noticed back here in Kuwait is on the phones which where made in China where having this issue. My freind is one of the HTC dealers in kuwait and we did tests on atleast 8 Phones made in china and 8 made in taiwan. the ones made in taiwan had no issues. but the china ones definetly had this problem. i would recommend the made in taiwan

Max Davantes

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site

Occam's Razor:
Take the screen protector off and see what happens, it's magic.
I returned one, and tested the new one on my way out, and it was fine. Put the screen protector on it wasn't anymore, took it off, and it was fine again.

nanaplaza

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site

Bought my HTC One a few days ago and i notice i had this problem as well. Couldn't figure it out because I thoroughly tested the phone in the store with no problem so I had no idea what it could be ( i asked the guy in the store to put on a screen cover for $3 *after* doing all the tests...) saw your post & took off the screen cover and like magic it's OK now...

Flewb

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site

I had this problem on my Verizon HTC One. Blew into the mic on the bottom to clear it out and it seems to work again.

BygSii

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site

I've had good luck with turning voice privacy off in the call settings. Makes your voice a little louder/clearer.

Jhernandez14514

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site

Would be good to have an update on the latest... I've had the same problem here, all research states its a well known problem, some lucky to be under 14 days so are able to return others have insurance. My case not the same, Speaker works great however not on the normal headset mode, I used to work for Sprint as a Service Tech and know the standard tests, its not the mic position, debris, blowing into it doesn't work, not the phone cover, not due to damage or mis handling, and no the software upgrade did not help. None of those basic things that HTC claims fixed the issue; these are standard suggestions just so they will get you off the phone with them. Definitely Software but unknown how much they will drag to fix the bug. Reseting may fix but temp, if its in the code, its in the code, you'll just get it later. This is what happens when we buy the newest "coolest" phones.... we must put up with the crap bugs that don't get resolved until 8- 10 Months... Recommendation- if you can still do it- get another phone... Not at all what it is made out to be. "Everything your phone isn't".. yeah my old phone actually worked! Cheers...:confused:

nmvdz

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site

Has anyone figured out already what the actual problem is?
Because i have the problem since about 2 weeks now.
Speaker calls works perfect.
Voice recording sounds muffled.
Ear calls nobody can hear me and with video recordings there is a loud static noise.

kazoodrum

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I just received my 3rd replacement due to all sorts of hardware issues and guess what mic didnt work.
Was going to scrap the contract and go with Samsung S4. Lucky for HTC, I fixed the issue by blowing into microphone. Cleaned the tunnel and ppl can hear me again.
Still not impressed with my HTC experience :-\

deepak2028

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Hi guys...my first post on this forum... Got htc one recently and soon enough faced the micro phone issue...went through this thread and decided to test the easiest suggested solution...simply blew hard for a bit in the microphone...located to the right of the charging socket... And luckily the test worked... Voice goes through crystal clear now... :)

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Redsoxx15

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

This problem came about for me this past Monday. I figured it had to do with the strange fall my phone took Sunday night that mad a funky sound when it hit the ground. It turns out there is an odd solution to this issue, just like there is an odd solution to the rapid battery discharge on the original HTC Evo. The solution is from XBLUELMOONX at ifixit.com. Aparently he got it from someone else as I quote him below. Having said that, if this works you like it did for me, then I ask that you please post this solution to one other forum out there that is about this topic. A lot of people have this problem and the solution is not well known yet. I created this account just to spread the good news! ;) Please do the same!

Solution:

"it fix man , thank allh and place muhammad arabec prafet
just plug headphone from another company (like nokia headphone )
in headphone hole and turn on sound recorder record voice clip
then un plug it <3 it well work 100%"

Patrick Brooke

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Microphone Issues - Fix

I was able to fix this issue, but get ready for this it is really funny what I did. I had the same issue described, complete static on the mic and perfect sound on the speaker.

The mic is, like you said on the bottom of the phone next to the micro usb port. I placed my mouth on the mic directly (yes I really did this, lol) and blew into the little hole and hummed loudly into it as well, with my mouth pressed up against it. I did it while on a call to myself, and noticed the sound quality get steadly better, so I continued until I could hear myself normal again without the static. In my case it seemed like it may have been dirty??? I don't know. But whatever, now it is working again. Let me know if this works for others. Now I don't have to unroot my phone and pretend it was never unlocked, wink wink.

Patrick

Payam_fox

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Hi i have the similar problem my phone fall down and then the mic does not work and when i put the call on speaker its good . did you found any way to fix this issue?

jalexbeaudet

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site

Same problem over here discovered yesterday.

Phone APP normal mode produces almost no sound. The other end can hear me a little bit sometimes but its choppy and extremely low volume.
Phone APP speakerphone = Fine.
Voice recorder = Fine
CSIP Simple = Fine normal or speakerphone (!!!)

so its only One app under one circumstance.

I am running Android Revolution HD Mod. I did an upgrade but no dice.

Just blew the hell into the mic hole and will do the needle trick but doubt that is the issue since it works for all the apps but the phone App.

I just subscribed to this thread in case someone finds a magic cure!

Paul Ripley

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

Wow - i was very sceptical but the blowing in the microphone hole (next to power supply) worked for me
Weird but works!
HTC support couldnt help at all!

Thanks guys

toddrockoff

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Awesome advice, it solved my problem!

To recap: My mic sounded horrible, delivering only hellish scratchy noises to the other side. I could always hear the other side. The horrible sound from my side went away when I muted my mic, and the audio worked fine on speaker mode.

Following your advice, I fished around in both mic holes with the end of a pin ... and voila, I must have dislodged something, because it's working perfectly again now.

Thank you!

pnh2052

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
My mic simply stop working : does work on calls, recorder (very faint muffled words on recordings so that is probably what every app and the phone is receiving), voice search (Will occasionally pick up a few words in google search), any voice input (get a lot of words wrong). . I tried blowing out the mic with one of those "air in a can cleaners", no help. Reluctant to use a pin in case it voids a warranty. Haven't tried it with bluetooth in the car yet. I have had it for 6 months and it has been fine until yesterday. Did a hard reset, no change. Will return to my provider.

PS. I relented and tried a small pick (not a pin) to see if that would help, it did, mic now seems to work. My advice if you try this is by gentle. Not sure if that really matters, but might as well be safe.:)

Last edited:

Jason Stroud1

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I am having issues with my new HTC One. Specifically, people seem to have a hard time hearing me in calls. They say my voice is very muffled. This problem is independent of location or signal. However, when I place the call on speaker, people can hear me crystal clear.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I had this same issue, HTC support told me to send it in, so I did.. they replaced the mic and it still was messed up, so I got a refurbished replacement through at&t and haven't encountered the problem again. Fingers Crossed. I've had to have three replacement devices so far. First was dead pixels, second was muffled mic, and third was broken accelerometer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter