HTC One: Microphone Issues

Andrius V1

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I am having issues with my new HTC One. Specifically, people seem to have a hard time hearing me in calls. They say my voice is very muffled. This problem is independent of location or signal. However, when I place the call on speaker, people can hear me crystal clear.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Same problem on my htc 620

jerry in pitt pa

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: Microphone Issues

Hi,

I have a HTC One M7 and have a non working microphone, speaker phone & Bluetooth phone works fine.

During my phone call to HTC support they had me factory data reset, try safe mode and run diagnostics.
The hardware diagnostic can be used by dialing from the phone *#*#3424#*#*.
I can run the audio test, the microphone test records your voice then play it back through the speakers.
On my phone this works, so the hardware is working.
My last phone call to HTC "support" they told me the software needs repaired.
I'm a verizon user, the latest android version is 4.4.3, 5.0 is out for some phones but not available from HTC or verizon, no date was given.
HTC "SUPPORT" told me to return the phone and for between $90-250 they'll update my software...
They won't quote a firm price...
They said this software update will fix my microphone issue...
Last HTC phone for me!

Danepaan

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

Just to follow up on my experiences with this issue: I have sent in the phone for repair and now the issue with my HTC One has been completely resolved and call quality is good.

I have decided to make use of the "Smartcare" service of my Dutch provider (Hi/KPN) because the trick with the cellophane tape on the back microphone wasn't satisfactory. On longer calls, the problem would reoccur after a while and people couldn't understand me. Also, a hardware factory reset didn't make a difference.

After having been in service for two weeks, the phone now works properly and people can hear me fine. I have also re-recorded my voicemail greeting which sounds good. I phoned Smartcare to ask what has been done with the phone, they told me they sent it on to HTC, but unfortunately no note has been made of what has been done with the phone. It is now running Android 5.0.2, HTC Sense 6.0 and Software number 7.19.401.2. I can't tell if any of these have been upgraded during the repair.

Hope this info is helpful to some of you.

Steve QCumber

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
The tape trick doesn't work for me. Hardware test shows the Mic is ok. Will have to wait for HTC to drop the source code.

Same here. I've tried every possible solution i could find with no luck(switching roms(including GPE), viper rom mic patch, tape over the back mic). So I've loaded Stock, Locked Bootloader & will wait for a possible official update/fix.

Stocker1

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Re: Microphone Issues

Download HTC download assistant. you can access htc verizon repair assistant and it corrected the mic problem for me:D

RobertoBra

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
I have a HTC one and had the very same problem: they could only hear me on speaker, but not in normal calls.
However the issue was very easy to solve: I used a thin needle to unblock the mic hole situated at the very bottom of the phone, next to the USB port. At first it felt like it wasn't a hole, as the needle didn't want to go in, but with a bit of gentle pressure it entered, and the problem disappear. I imagine dust or sand had blocked the hole and was muffling the sound.

I hope this helps :)

EnEhlen

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Fix that worked for me!
Problem:
dropped phone, during calls/video/sound recording Mic only hears loud static. (Speaker phone works fine)

Solution:
open 'Voice Recorder' app, start a recording, blow hard as you can into bottom microphone while sound is recording for a Few seconds. Visually you could tell if this works, since the voice recording app has a visual representation of the volume of sound it is receiving. Before, those bars are maxed out and after they should be low when you aren't making sound.

My theory: dropping the phone somehow made the Mic insanely sensitive and so it was always peaking, and this forced it to recalibrate. Unsure if this is true.

raphtor

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I have the HTC One M8 Dual Sim. I had the same symptooms (main microphone performing extremely bad, phone calls only possible with speakers on --> back micro being used). It could be easily confirmed with the audio test (see above) that the main microphone is the problem, and taping off the back micro or resetting the phone didn't help. It was not a software issue.

It is to be noted that on the M8 Dual Sim, the main microphone is not a hole beside the USB socket but next to the bottom speaker, below the same mesh cover, so I couldn't simply clean it or blow it out.

The solution was to pry off the cover and clean the cover mesh and the below carefully. After this it works, althouth I haven't tested it for a long time yet and expect the cleaning to be necessary again in the future. The procedure to remove the cover is basically the same as shown here:
https://de.ifixit.com/Teardown/HTC+One+(M8)+Teardown/23615

Good luck with your devices
Raphael

Minos Achloetous

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
"However the issue was very easy to solve: I used a thin needle to unblock the mic hole situated at the very bottom of the phone, next to the USB port. At first it felt like it wasn't a hole, as the needle didn't want to go in, but with a bit of gentle pressure it entered, and the problem disappear. I imagine dust or sand had blocked the hole and was muffling the sound."

After months of having everyone complain they couldn't hear me, this finally solved the issue. Indeed, you would think the microphone hole isn't actually a hole, until you take a needle and press gently so it goes into the hole. Voice quality was immediately back.

I should have known this: the microphone is next to the charger slot, and that too became completely clogged with dust a few months ago. I couldn't even charge the phone anymore! A toothpick brought out a relatively large amount of cloth particles (damn those jeans), and then everything worked fine again.

Thanks everyone!

lyndsaycheriedobbie

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi I have a problem with my HTC 1. When being called or calling out the other person can't hear me. If I put it on speaker they can hear me. Is this an software issue or is it a fault .as I have only just bought the fone. Anybody else experienced this it is from Amazon. X

munrobasher

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Digging up an old thread, but my two year old HTC One M8 started acting up just before the weekend. It wouldn't charge on my normal charger, but would when connected to my PC. As it had been getting slower recently as well due to too many apps, I decided it was time for a factory reset anyway. This fixed the charging but then the microphone stopped working the next day. All very coincidental. I've tried another factory reset and cleaning the grill with a pin but just static.

A question though - why if it works on speaker doesn't it work normally? All that speaker is doing is pushing the output loudly through the speakers whereas normally I assume it's only sent to the top speaker and at a lower volume. Doesn't it use the same microphone??