Proximity sensor and google voice

aquatichedgehog

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I've seen a few threads here about unresponsive proximity sensors, and it looks like sometime the culprit is a screen protector or case, but not always. Here's an interesting quirk I just noticed. I have a google voice number and a number through sprint, and I use each of them (my sprint number is a different area code from where I live because I was too lazy to change it, so I use that for friends and casual use, and my google voice number for work). I just noticed today that when I use my sprint number the proximity sensor works flawlessly (as it should). but when I call out with google voice it doesn't. The proximity sensor doesn't turn the screen off when I hold it up to talk, but it turns off about 5-10 seconds into the call, and I have to turn it back on with the power button to end the call or do anything else. I guess one could argue that google voice doesn't have proper access to the proximity sensor, but the weird part is that when you call from it, it uses the native dialer app (just calls a different number that google then forwards to the actual number you want to call). Seems like the use of google voice is somehow blocking the otherwise proper function of the proximity sensor. Not a huge problem for me (although a bit annoying), but struck me as odd.

Anyone else with proximity sensor problems using google voice? Try it without and see if that works.

friedtators

May 27, 2013
Visit site
This caught my eye. I must say I have the exact problem. But since I only use my gv # I did not notice the difference. It is annoying. I love my Google voice. It cut spam 100%. I have gotten use to hitting power button I no longer fumble with it. Interesting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38