Case Review: Urban Armor Gear Outland and Aero

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
The first case I bought for the HTC One was the Incipio Feather as I have always preferred to use thin cases for my phones. If you want to read my opinion on this case and see a few photos, here's the link to that review.

As a fan for Incipio cases, I thought of buying the DualPro for those times when I need more than only back scratch protection but I also considered the Urban Armor Gear (UAG) as it was a single piece case instead of the two piece setup like the DualPro and many other "tough" cases. I ended up buying the UAG in Outland (Orange).

The first thing I noticed when opening the case was the extremely good quality of the hard back. It's plastic but it feels very smooth and has a premium feel to it. The other thing I didn't expect was the color to look so awesome. The color is great and fits the silver aluminum of my phone very well. It is not a bright orange like we may think after seeing stock photos of the case. Instead, it has a little pale (lacking a better way to describe it) look to it, which I ended liking even more.

The black top and bottom have a different material that is more tough and the corners are a bit raised to give even more protection. This material is like rubber, but doesn't feel sticky like other cases, which is good. The volume rocker buttons are a joy to press. These buttons are VERY EASY to press, solving one of the main complains many of us have with them as they are far too flush with the body. The power button has a hollow cut in the middle to allow the IR blaster to work but it made the button a little harder to press. It's not a complain, but I needed to apply a little more force for it to press. Once I got used to it, I forgot about this.

This case doesn't add too much bulk like the DualPro or the Otterbox cases. It's more bulky than any thin case out there for sure, but being a single piece case, it's less thick. It also add a little weight, but you won't feel like it is too much. Instead, it makes the phone feels even more solid.

If you are looking for a more protective case, this one should be at the top of your list. The scree lip is sufficient for not worrying about putting your phone face down on any surface and I liked that it wasn't too recessed because it can make typing harder when pressing buttons at the screen edges.

I really don't have any complains about it. I've read that some people had problems with the flash ghosting photos taken in the dark with the white version. I don't normally use the flash, but I will update this review if I see if the flash reflecting on the case and causing some ghosting on photos with flash on.

Update 1: There are issues with the Outland and Navigator (White) case if you take photos with the flash on. The case reflects/bounces the light introducing artifacts or ghosting in the shots. I posted a few test photos with the Outland and the flash on in this same thread. So far, the Outland and Navigator colors are confirmed to have this problems. Perhaps they have already updated them but I don't know.

I don't mind this issue as I don't take photos with flash very often on my phones, but I already contacted Urban Armor Gear and they agreed to exchange my case without returning the Outland. In their email they recommended me to get the Aero (Dark Blue) or Scout (Black).

Update 2: NastyNeil and I received the Aero case and the problem is not present. You can view his photos with flash on here.

Update 3: I just posted photos on the Aero case. The color tone is awesome!

Attachments

• UAG Rust 01.jpg
    UAG Rust 01.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 162
  • UAG Rust 10.jpg
    UAG Rust 10.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 156
  • UAG Rust 09.jpg
    UAG Rust 09.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 158
  • UAG Rust 08.jpg
    UAG Rust 08.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 157
  • UAG Rust 07.jpg
    UAG Rust 07.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 151
  • UAG Rust 06.jpg
    UAG Rust 06.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 155
  • UAG Rust 05.jpg
    UAG Rust 05.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 154
  • UAG Rust 04.jpg
    UAG Rust 04.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 159
  • UAG Rust 03.jpg
    UAG Rust 03.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 162
  • UAG Rust 02.jpg
    UAG Rust 02.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 163
  • HTC One UAG Aero 04.jpg
    HTC One UAG Aero 04.jpg
    498 KB · Views: 25
  • HTC One UAG Aero 02.jpg
    HTC One UAG Aero 02.jpg
    515.5 KB · Views: 25
  • HTC One UAG Aero 01.jpg
    HTC One UAG Aero 01.jpg
    474.2 KB · Views: 26
  • HTC One UAG Aero 03.jpg
    HTC One UAG Aero 03.jpg
    503.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

jeverts

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Case Review: Urban Armor Gear Rust

Nice review of a nice case, thanks, I may check one out...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

andriver

May 1, 2013
Visit site

How bulky Is it in your pocket?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site

Just ordered the rust...
Sent from my One

:D

How bulky Is it in your pocket?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

The other case I have, the Incipio Feather doesn't add any noticeable bulk in the pocket as it is razor thin. The UAG is more bulky but after the first day I didn't notice the added bulk anymore.

I would say that among the tough/bulky cases, this UAG is the thinner I've seen.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Case Review: Urban Armor Gear Outland/Rust

I really like the looks of this case..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

So this is smaller or less bulky then the Otterbox Commuter or just the Defender?

iamdld

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site

Smaller than the Otterbox Commuter. I would say around 25% smaller.

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site

pbtxit

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site

Great Review! I have this case and I really like it. It makes the buttons so much easier to use and it looks awesome!

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

The first case I bought for the HTC One was the Incipio Feather as I have always preferred to use thin cases for my phones. If you want to read my opinion on this case and see a few photos, here's the link to that review.

As a fan for Incipio cases, I thought of buying the DualPro for those times when I need more than only back scratch protection but I also considered the Urban Armor Gear (UAG) as it was a single piece case instead of the two piece setup like the DualPro and many other "tough" cases. I ended up buying the UAG in Outland/Rust (Orange).

The first thing I noticed when opening the case was the extremely good quality of the hard back. It's plastic but it feels very smooth and has a premium feel to it. The other thing I didn't expect was the color to look so awesome. The color is great and fits the silver aluminum of my phone very well. It is not a bright orange like we may think after seeing stock photos of the case. Instead, it has a little pale (lacking a better way to describe it) look to it, which I ended liking even more.

The black top and bottom have a different material that is more tough and the corners are a bit raised to give even more protection. This material is like rubber, but doesn't feel sticky like other cases, which is good. The volume rocker buttons are a joy to press. These buttons are VERY EASY to press, solving one of the main complains many of us have with them as they are far too flush with the body. The power button has a hollow cut in the middle to allow the IR blaster to work but it made the button a little harder to press. It's not a complain, but I needed to apply a little more force for it to press. Once I got used to it, I forgot about this.

This case doesn't add too much bulk like the DualPro or the Otterbox cases. It's more bulky than any thin case out there for sure, but being a single piece case, it's less thick. It also add a little weight, but you won't feel like it is too much. Instead, it makes the phone feels even more solid.

If you are looking for a more protective case, this one should be at the top of your list. The scree lip is sufficient for not worrying about putting your phone face down on any surface and I liked that it wasn't too recessed because it can make typing harder when pressing buttons at the screen edges.

I really don't have any complains about it. I've read that some people had problems with the flash ghosting photos taken in the dark with the white version. I don't normally use the flash, but I will update this review if I see if the flash reflecting on the case and causing some ghosting on photos with flash on.

Here are some photos I just took with the One already in the case. Enjoy!

I have the white one and it definitely does have an issue with the flash in the dark creating halos and ghosting. Have you tested this with your phone?

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site

I have the white one and it definitely does have an issue with the flash in the dark creating halos and ghosting. Have you tested this with your phone?

I've read that the issue is present on the White cases. I will try to take some photos with flash tonight or tomorrow.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

I've read that the issue is present on the White cases. I will try to take some photos with flash tonight or tomorrow.

If you watch closely to the review you posted which was reviewing the orange case and when it shows the back look at the cut out for the camera and you can see the white housing surrounding the lens. And then on the review I posted reviewing the white case the reviewer even comments on how nice the cut out is because you can only see the lens and not thew housing. Wondering if the white case has a smaller camera cut out causing halos.

I still look forward to your test tonight.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

If you watch closely to the review you posted which was reviewing the orange case and when it shows the back look at the cut out for the camera and you can see the white housing surrounding the lens. And then on the review I posted reviewing the white case the reviewer even comments on how nice the cut out is because you can only see the lens and not thew housing. Wondering if the white case has a smaller camera cut out causing halos.

I still look forward to your test tonight.

I'm looking at my white one right now and I can definitely see the white lens housing on mine. It doesn't stand out as much because of the housing being white like the case of the phone is. I've put a call in to UAG and am awaiting a call back. I am definitely interested to hear the results of the camera test as well.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

I guess that would make sense not seeing white on white :p After looking closer at my OEM flip case you can't see the white housing and I don't get a halo.

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site

Sorry for the delay guys. I can confirm that the Outland color does interfere with the flash. The light bounces off the case and introduces orange (my case color) artifacts on the photos.

I don't like to shoot with the flash on so I don't mind this, but for people that do it's a serious issue. And it should be addressed by Urban Armor Gear. I'm going to mention this problem in my review so people can read about it.

Here are some test photos with the flash on.

Attachments

• 2013-09-03 22.06.13.jpg
    2013-09-03 22.06.13.jpg
    470.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 2013-09-03 22.05.44.jpg
    2013-09-03 22.05.44.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 2013-09-03 22.04.09.jpg
    2013-09-03 22.04.09.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 2013-09-03 22.06.44.jpg
    2013-09-03 22.06.44.jpg