Cannot MMS pics to other Droids

kmart472

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I cannot send MMS pics with the default SMS app on my HTC One to any other Droid but I can receive them from Droids. I can send the same pics to iPhone users of all carriers. Anyone have any idea why this happens?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! On Android, MMS requires mobile data (i.e, 3G/4G data) to send or receive. Are you certain the people with Android phones that you're sending MMS messages to have their mobile data on?

Raymond Elliott

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! On Android, MMS requires mobile data (i.e, 3G/4G data) to send or receive. Are you certain the people with Android phones that you're sending MMS messages to have their mobile data on?

Mobile data on? Gee, I didn't know that. WiFi doesn't work?

For OP, are you trying to send a picture from gallery? I had trouble with this also; think it has to do with pic size. Anyway, I found that if I opened Messages, and when clicking on attachment I selected Camera, then took a picture it would send. Don't know if this is your issue but try it and let us know. Kind of inconvenient I know...

kmart472

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Everyone I send to has smart phones with data plans. I have tried the WiFi on and off thingy but that didn't work, either. I cannot send MMS pictures from any form of selection to Droid users (from the gallery or the camera itself). They come up blank. I'm even trying to send to another HTC One owner and he gets a blank screen each time. I do not have this issue with any iPhone users. This number was an AT&T transfer to Verizon and I had to unassign the number from my iTunes account because all messages were getting lost in iMessage land. I don't know if this is related or not but it is complete BS. Am I to assume this phone is bad or that Droid is just not going to work for me? This is just one of several issues I have with this phone.

kmart472

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I went to a Verizon store and they switched out the SIM card. I MMS'd a pic to a salesman who has a new Samsung Note and he got it but when I try to send the same exact picture to another Android on AT&T, they do not get it. I have tried everything and that is as narrow as I can get it. It must be network related and if so, has to be a common issue yet I cannot find anyone else having this problem. I switched my number from an AT&T iPhone to a Verizon HTC One and I cannot MMS pictures to Androids on AT&T. It's that simple and I cannot believe there isn't a solution out there. No way this is happening just to me.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
WiFi doesn't work?

No you cannot send MMS over WiFi. I know with iPhone you can send iMessages which are slightly different than actual messages in some way, not sure how.

Anyway, to the OP you think it's just an issue when sending to AT&T? When you tried to send the same pic to someone else, besides the salesman, was that right then or later after you had left? The reason I ask is because my theory is that there is something about you porting your number that isn't set up correctly. My feeling is that when you are trying to send to AT&T their system is seeing your data coming in with one of their numbers and denying access because the device is unrecognized. So like someone cloned your phone or something and the system is trying to deny unauthorized access. It's been forever ago since I read something similar to this and if I'm not mistaken the poster had to contact AT&T to resolve the issue, or they had their new carrier contact them to ensure that a full release of the number was done or something to that effect. Like I said if it is only to AT&T customers and you are a former customer I think your answer may lie with them. Thinking about it now it seems that the issue was due to the former phone being an iPhone. Which may also explain why you can MMS iPhones on their system.?

One last thing you could try before calling them is a 3rd party app. You are using one of the worst texting apps, besides Hangouts, to text. This isn't Apple the stock apps are not the best integrated apps ever just because they came with the device. I'm just saying.

kmart472

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
No you cannot send MMS over WiFi. I know with iPhone you can send iMessages which are slightly different than actual messages in some way, not sure how.

Anyway, to the OP you think it's just an issue when sending to AT&T? When you tried to send the same pic to someone else, besides the salesman, was that right then or later after you had left? The reason I ask is because my theory is that there is something about you porting your number that isn't set up correctly. My feeling is that when you are trying to send to AT&T their system is seeing your data coming in with one of their numbers and denying access because the device is unrecognized. So like someone cloned your phone or something and the system is trying to deny unauthorized access. It's been forever ago since I read something similar to this and if I'm not mistaken the poster had to contact AT&T to resolve the issue, or they had their new carrier contact them to ensure that a full release of the number was done or something to that effect. Like I said if it is only to AT&T customers and you are a former customer I think your answer may lie with them. Thinking about it now it seems that the issue was due to the former phone being an iPhone. Which may also explain why you can MMS iPhones on their system.?

One last thing you could try before calling them is a 3rd party app. You are using one of the worst texting apps, besides Hangouts, to text. This isn't Apple the stock apps are not the best integrated apps ever just because they came with the device. I'm just saying.

Thank you for your reply. I am going to contact AT&T about this because I believe that is what is happening. I have tried 3rd party texting apps and they do the same thing although it appears that Hello SMS is randomly working right now. Meaning some pics get through and others don't. I'll call to see if my number has been fully released by AT&T. Again, thanks.

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Have you gone into the setting options of the messaging app and set the "allow picture size" to the largest option? It might not say exactly that but you get the idea. Also the recipient has to have the large picture size enabled in their texting app too. I am with Sprint and I send MMS all the time over wifi as well as the Sprint network. The only problem I had was with a friend on Metro PCS who didn't have the large picture setting enabled on his phone. Once he changed the setting I don't have a problem sending an MMS to anyone from my HTC One using my wifi or the Sprint network.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Have you gone into the setting options of the messaging app and set the "allow picture size" to the largest option? It might not say exactly that but you get the idea. Also the recipient has to have the large picture size enabled in their texting app too. I am with Sprint and I send MMS all the time over wifi as well as the Sprint network. The only problem I had was with a friend on Metro PCS who didn't have the large picture setting enabled on his phone. Once he changed the setting I don't have a problem sending an MMS to anyone from my HTC One using my wifi or the Sprint network.

No sorry you cannot send over WiFi if you're with Verizon. If you're connected to WiFi and attempt to send an SMS or MMS watch your notification bar and you will see that it drops you out of WiFi and connects to network to send the message and usually reconnects. I shouldn't have made such a broad statement not knowing how other carriers operate.