1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Replace Battery at Verizon Store?

Hi all,

New forum member, first-time poster! I just have a simple question.

Does anyone know if the HTC Rhyme's battery will be replaceable at a Verizon store in the future? I know it is not "removable" to swap batteries frequently, but I am curious about when the battery starts to lose charge in maybe a year, would Verizon be able to replace the battery on the spot, i.e. without leaving the phone with them? Any comments/suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help!

-fightfan

Default Re: Replace Battery at Verizon Store?

I would guess not. From what I hear they don't even have techs in their stores anymore. You would probably need to get a refurbished replacement, but that's also a guess.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the reply WeaselWeaz. I talked to a Verizon rep in store the other day, and she just reminded me that the phone has a 1 year warranty. After 11 months, you could try returning the phone as having a defective battery if the capacity has diminished severely. That's an interesting idea, but I don't know what they would consider defective, and I'm not sure I really want to take that chance.

Still, it seems like a great phone for my wife who will be getting her first smartphone. I can think of a couple solutions to worst-case scenarios. All would be inconvenient but probably not dealbreakers considering she could just dump it for a new upgrade in 2 years.

1. She could use one of those portable batteries/chargers.
    2. In one year if the battery life is lousy, she could buy a cheap phone on EBay to tide her over until she can upgrade again.

Is the battery really going to get so much worse over one year that you need to replace it? Generally, the reason I read that someone wants to replace the battery because they don't like the initial battery life or want the extra security of a second battery.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by WeaselWeaz View Post
    Is the battery really going to get so much worse over one year that you need to replace it?
    I have some firsthand experience in the diminished capacity of a battery. I've had an Incredible for about a year, using an extended capacity battery (1750mAh?) that whole time. It is fully charged in the morning, and I use it to listen to music for about 2 hours in the morning. By noon, it is often down to about 30%. I have since replaced it with the almost never used original battery (1300mAh?), and with the same exact usage, I am now at about 50% by noon.

I won't go into details about preserving battery life here, but suffice it to say that this is a pretty even, apples to apples comparison. It just makes me nervous to think of being stuck with only one battery for the lifetime of a phone. Even though we can upgrade at a discount every 2 years, I can seriously see my wife sticking with a phone for like 3 or 4 years easily. Right now she's still using an old flip phone!