Question about rooting/installing roms on an unactivated phone.

goisasrt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering any of you know if it's ok to root and install custom roms on the VM Evo V 4g prior to activation. Will this nullify/complicate the activation process in the future? I'm in a place with no coverage. I had the phone shipped to me, but I'm on an island 12 miles out to sea, and there's no 3G/Wimax/4g anything out here. I've tried the hands free activation, but it doesn't seem to work over wifi (I do have wifi). Should I wait till I'm on the mainland and have been activated? Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:

itsrayray

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Need 3g to do the activation. As it tells the phone its number etc. Comes from vm

I'd wait on Rom, but root I'm sure shouldn't effect anything.

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Need 3g to do the activation. As it tells the phone its number etc. Comes from vm

I'd wait on Rom, but root I'm sure shouldn't effect anything.

Actually, you can root, install custom ROM, and all that jazz before activation.
Your phone still has 3/4G and everything else prior to activation, just no service.

Custom ROM or stock, you can activate your phone.

sent from my Zom-"Bean'(CM10 JellyBean).

TannerRG

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Actually, you can root, install custom ROM, and all that jazz before activation.
Your phone still has 3/4G and everything else prior to activation, just no service.

Custom ROM or stock, you can activate your phone.

sent from my Zom-"Bean'(CM10 JellyBean).

That's exactly what I did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89