WiFi Turns Itself On
08-09-2016 12:35 PM
- I didn't find anything about this specifically for the Vivid, so thought I'd ask. I prefer to turn WiFi off and use my data for access. I've gone to Settings and slide the selector to off...WiFi goes off. But then later when turning the phone on, I notice WiFi is back on.
Turned phone on mid afternoon yesterday...WiFi should have been off but didn't check, power at 100%. Early yesterday evening, I rechecked and the WiFi was on...power had drained to 93% so I turned WiFi off. Phone was in sleep mode all night long. Checked again in the AM...WiFi is on and power is at 83%...turned WiFi off. Just now, 90 minutes later, WiFi was back on with power down to 81%.
Why does WiFi turn itself back on? Stock phone...no special apps.
Kurt07-27-2012 06:29 AM
- That's strange, in any case a easy solution would be to download Easy Battery Saver and use its intelligent mode. It will automatically switch off WiFi when you lock your phone and turn it on when you unlock it. If you never want it on and its turning on automatically, idk what's causing that to happen.
Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Android Central Forums07-27-2012 11:05 AM
- The WiFi feature has remained off today...and also when I got home. I thought that maybe there was a setting about automatic connection. In fact there is and I have it set to keep WiFi off during sleep. Other settings are Always keep on during sleep or to keep on only when plugged in. I think the default is to NEVER have it on during sleep...which was my setting.
Still watching it!!
Kurt07-27-2012 06:00 PM
- Don't know what's causing it, but I have exactly this problem, but with an additional caveat: I have only 200MB mobile data, and the mobile internet turns itself back on randomly, too. Haven't blown my data, and I have an app that will turn mobile data off when a threshhold is reached (though theoretically it could just turn itself back on).
Rooted my phone today, and in the process, unlocked the bootloader at HTC's dev site. Had to laugh at their arrogance: they actually warn that custom roms may introduce bugs because they're typically not as thoroughly-tested as the stock rom. HA!
Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Android Central Forums07-27-2012 11:24 PM
- Yes! After doing some research, I found out you're not the only one who this affects. I ran some benchmarks to see what could be turning my WiFi and/or Mobile Data. First off, by any chance, do you have Fastboot enabled?
Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums07-28-2012 06:51 PM
- 07-28-2012 07:06 PM
- It is an ICS issue. You see, rather than wait, the phone would try to do random updates and checks via data. However, the bug now allows it to go turn on at random times. I'd suggest getting a different ROM or Factory Restore from an RUU.
Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums07-29-2012 02:43 PM
- It seems to come on when rolling over the time at midnight. Same thing last night...ensured WiFi was off when going to bed. Woke up sometime after midnight, figured I'd check the phone...WiFi was on so I turned it off again. I checked again before leaving for work, it was on again but has remained off once at work.
Kurt07-30-2012 06:28 AM
- I went away on a 3-day business trip...the WiFi never turned on by itself. I get home and at some point, I checked the phone...WiFi was on! So, the issue has something to do with being in my house with my WiFi. I have GPS and all location services turned off. How could the phone possibly know where it is? I realize that it will locate the towers and establish a mobile connection, but to know that it is inside my house??? And then decide to turn on just because it sees the home WiFi network? This is really funky...08-03-2012 06:15 AM
- Any chance that my modem has some setting which is "forcing" my phone to wake up and turn WiFi on? It's a U-verse standard modem that came with the system. I had it several months before I got the Vivid. The modem setup was done by the technician...I've not done anything to tweak it.
Kurt08-03-2012 11:38 AM
- Doubt it on the modem/router. Like I said before, along with the WiFi issue, I also have a problem with the mobile data turning itself on. I'm competent with networking and have confidence my router's settings are not at fault. As far as the mobile data, while it makes sense in a sick twisted way that AT&T would "sneak" it back on in the hopes of burning my mobile data and selling me more, I'd think them too reputable to actually execute such a plan.
Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Android Central Forums08-03-2012 04:26 PM
- What am i missing here? I've NEVER had any of the problems that you guys are talking about. But then again, i've never screwed with the phone. If someone were to read these forums, they would get the impression that the Vivid is a quirky, buggy phone. I've used cell phones since they first came out, and the Vivid is the best so far. IMO...Rooting, jail breaking, installing custom ROM's, and anything you do to get into the developmental part of the phone, will eventually cause problems. I've only downloaded an occasional app from the Android Market, that's it. My phone has the look that i want, and it operates smoothly, anywhere i use it.08-04-2012 09:45 AM
- grunt0300 -
I know what you're saying about all the negative info. I was considering getting into AT&T U-verse and joined a forum to see what was going on and asked questions. I was a little concerned about jumping in on that based upon all of the "issues" people were having. But typically, it's only the people having troubles that post...not the "raving fans". In the end, my U-verse has been fine...glad I did it.
As for me, I'm a stock kind of guy...nothing special that I've done to the phone. But I have had at least two technical problems that were solved only with phone replacement...if I have to get a third replacement (knock wood), I might ask to move to a different platform.
I'm also trying to learn this smartphone world...I'm an engineer and want to understand what's under the hood. At this point, I'm pretty satisfied with what I have and how the phone works. I've maximised my battery life to a point that suits me...that was a big issue with me. This thing with the WiFi coming on only hurts my battery life and I want to figure out why it's coming on by itself and to try and stop it. As suggested, it just might be a software bug. But the times that it comes on only happens when I'm at my house...so there's a pattern there that I can't figure out.
Kurt08-04-2012 10:57 AM
- I am more hands on and I like to get to the bottom of things. I mod, repair, and fix HTC phones mainly, but I will do my best with a Motorola or a Samsung. The WiFi thing is just a bug. Try using a widget or something.
Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums08-04-2012 10:56 PM
- Job's been OK...I am involved with installing flight data recorders in military jets and analzying the data. It gets me to some interesting, and not so interesting places. I've been at this for over 30 years.
I'm getting a little tired of it...need to starting wrenching on the bikes. Mostly I'm getting tired of my boss...I just want one of us to go away! Looks like it's going to be me!!
Kurt08-05-2012 03:08 PM
- All right, so I was browsing around and doing my usual Android help patrol when I stumbled upon this:
It could be a possibility that out HTC devices are equipped with this. I'm just saying.
Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums08-07-2012 03:42 AM
- More Android Goodness
- The Archives
- Android Central Archives
- HTC Vivid
WiFi Turns Itself On
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD