WiFi Turns Itself On

Minga19

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Sweet that was one of my first job thoughts, do you love your job? Is it really stressful?
Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Android Central Forums

KurtTX

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Job's been OK...I am involved with installing flight data recorders in military jets and analzying the data. It gets me to some interesting, and not so interesting places. I've been at this for over 30 years.

I'm getting a little tired of it...need to starting wrenching on the bikes. Mostly I'm getting tired of my boss...I just want one of us to go away! Looks like it's going to be me!!

Kurt

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
On the EVO 4G, it could be disabled. But it would make sense if our phones shipped with this already.

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums

apoc53

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Almost sounds like a proprietary Sprint process, though... (Without modification,) The Vivid is AT&T only, isn't it?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Android Central Forums

coryteague

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Wil Wheaton is having this issue on his galaxy nexus and asked about it on g+. A super user (and possibly google guy) said that if you have the "turn WiFi off during sleep" AND the sprint WiFi sleep correctly turned off it most likely is an app. Is your WiFi actually sliding to off? Or does it just "sleep"?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

KurtTX

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Is your WiFi actually sliding to off? Or does it just "sleep"?

I'm the OP, so my response is the WiFi slider goes from green to dull gray and it says "turning WiFi off" during the process.

Some posts back, I thought this was happening only around my house WiFi setup. Well, I've been on some recent travel, and I find that the Wifi is mysteriously turning back on. I'm staying in different motels each night, so there's no way the phone recognizes the network and decides to turn on. Interesting...I'm sitting in a motel room right now...upon waking up, I checked the phone, WiFi was on but it had been turned off last night...turned it off. Checked the phone 30 minutes later...WiFi back on.

Could be an app...I've only installed three so far. I suppose an experiment would be to one-by-one uninstall them and see if the problem goes away. If it still does it, it could be one of the stock apps or as suggested, a "feature" (aka, bug).

Kurt

KurtTX

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Solved! I discussed this with a co-worker and he found that my Google Ads feature was turned on. I understand this is used by Google to push ads or see what sort of things I've been doing. Apparently, then, this features turns on WiFi to transfer information...I guess it wants to use WiFi (if available) to transfer so that it doesn't detract from my data plan.

I can't find that particular setting now...he did things so fast, I couldn't keep up with it. But my WiFi stayed off all night long...the first time in several months.

Kurt

Reactions: Eduardo06sp

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Solved! I discussed this with a co-worker and he found that my Google Ads feature was turned on. I understand this is used by Google to push ads or see what sort of things I've been doing. Apparently, then, this features turns on WiFi to transfer information...I guess it wants to use WiFi (if available) to transfer so that it doesn't detract from my data plan.

I can't find that particular setting now...he did things so fast, I couldn't keep up with it. But my WiFi stayed off all night long...the first time in several months.

Kurt

Ah, the one in Google Play Store--->Settings (the three little dots)--->Under Other? It's called Google AdMob Ads. I hope that's it.

KurtTX

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Two steps forward, one step back. It's back...Wifi back on in the middle of the night. Not sure what's changed...oh well, onward and upward. :(

Kurt

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Two steps forward, one step back. It's back...Wifi back on in the middle of the night. Not sure what's changed...oh well, onward and upward. :(

Kurt

Turn off all location services,
Settings---> Location Services under Personal---> Uncheck All

KurtTX

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
The only updates I get are when I turn the phone off for charging. I have disabled fast boot, so I see a number of updates when I turn the phone back on. I think these updates are repeated over and over...IIRC you've mentioned that there is some kind of bug that clears a number of settings each time. I'm not aware of getting updates any other way.

Kurt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred