[WIP][KERNEL][ROM] Wildfire S Virgin Mobile USA

xshad0wzx

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the support and continued feedback. Let ne know how the Rom is

Sent from my HTC_A510c using Tapatalk

just flashed the new rom and am waiting for it to boot, i love the htc boot animation how the "quietly brilliant" shows up letter by letter, will update this post in the morning with how its running :)

so...

the rom is great, and fast as hell :)

...but it isnt all good, not for my phone at least, and i hope someone can shed some light on this problem :/

everything works absolutely perfect, except for the fact that i cannot install any apps without it restarting the phone. i had this issue on your most recent rom as well, Simon. but on your original rom, that wasnt a problem at all.

idk what could be causing it, but i really, really want to be able to use this rom :(.

any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT:

i resolved the problem on my own, and it was in the A2SDGUI app, by default, it send everything to the ext partition on your SD card, if its enabled and you know for a fact you dont have an ext partition for apps, it will most likely cause your phone to crash anytime you try to install an app (because it will try to force it to move to a file path that does not exist) simply clicking on the button in that app that makes it install apps to the normal location in the internal storage should fix it completely, i just tried it myself and was able to install apps right away, im so happy i figured it out :D

Last edited:

gotts101

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
new rom is great!... no problems so far..everything works just like you said it would. There is even link2sd which is awesome. The only thing I didnt like was the go sms pro but that was easy to delete with link2sd. DEFINITELY THE BEST ROM YET...great work simon!

xshad0wzx

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
new rom is great!... no problems so far..everything works just like you said it would. There is even link2sd which is awesome. The only thing I didnt like was the go sms pro but that was easy to delete with link2sd. DEFINITELY THE BEST ROM YET...great work simon!

hey quick question, do you have your sd card partitioned at all? because in my post above i was experiencing reboots whenever i would install apps, but transferring already installed apps from the internal memory to sd worked just fine and as far as i know mine isnt partitioned, but i just looked, and it says my 2gb sd is like 1.34gb total, very strange. im gonna look into it right now.

EDIT: so after looking into it, my sd card had a second FAT32 partition for some odd reason, so i formatted it and joined the two partitions back into 1 big one like it should be, and voila, apps2sd works again, i can move apps to the sd card, and downloading/installing apps works as it should.

im still getting the hanging problem where the phone wont respond for a certain amount of time very often, but i believe it may be with the phone itself and not the rom seeing as how it did it even on the stock VM rom when i bought it.

Last edited:

gotts101

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
hey quick question, do you have your sd card partitioned at all? because in my post above i was experiencing reboots whenever i would install apps, but transferring already installed apps from the internal memory to sd worked just fine and as far as i know mine isnt partitioned, but i just looked, and it says my 2gb sd is like 1.34gb total, very strange. im gonna look into it right now.

EDIT: so after looking into it, my sd card had a second FAT32 partition for some odd reason, so i formatted it and joined the two partitions back into 1 big one like it should be, and voila, apps2sd works again, i can move apps to the sd card, and downloading/installing apps works as it should.

im still getting the hanging problem where the phone wont respond for a certain amount of time very often, but i believe it may be with the phone itself and not the rom seeing as how it did it even on the stock VM rom when i bought it.

yeah I do not have a second partition and it was working fine for me
glad to see you got yours working though.
and that does seem like it would be a problem with your phone, especially if you had the same problem with the stock rom also

gotts101

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
quick question simon - how does the usb tethering work?...do i need to download an app from the market or is there already something on the rom that will do it for me?

xshad0wzx

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
quick question simon - how does the usb tethering work?...do i need to download an app from the market or is there already something on the rom that will do it for me?

when you plug your phone into your computer, the window that comes up on your phone asking how you'd like to connect it will have a USB tethering option added to it. i just saw it earlier today.

also, with the hanging problem ive been experiencing, it seems as if its something with the touch detection on the screen when i bring it out of sleep, or at least thats what it seems like because i noticed the phone functions fine while the touch doesnt respond for a good 8 to even over 10 seconds sometimes. its really strange, the phone doesnt freeze or anything at all, just becomes unresponsive when it comes out of sleep for a random amount of time :/

one last thing about the touch screen junk. i noticed when i bring it out of sleep, if i swipe the lock screen down as usual where it shows up on the screen, it does literally nothing for the full 8-10+ seconds, but if i start swiping the lockscreen down from about the middle of the screen if not a little bit higher, it starts responding much, much faster. i dunno if it means anything at all, or if its just useless information, but i figured id toss it in there

Last edited:

gotts101

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
yeah i saw that option on the window but i wasnt sure if just clicking it would enable usb tethering. Because i know there are apps in the market that are used for usb tethering so i wasnt sure if i needed one of those. And to comment on your hanging problem...i have experienced some lag when unlocking the phone but nothing too serious....and mostly on the simonstock rom..not this new one. I just figured it was the normal lag that you see on most android devices.

isklopz

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Good Rom but question. Would I benefit from installing setcpu? Sorry if dumb question still new to all this. Great work by the way. Very detailed instructions and have had no problem at all.

simonsimons34

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
You would greately benifit. If you want a beta dev perview kind of thing check on xda, he shares it there for free ;) as far as screen lag, youll think this is crazy, but try this. Remove the screen protector or clean your screen or both, Its what ive noticed helps. Also overclocking helps.
And on usb tethering its built in, you wouldnt believe where they locked it out, i didnt know it was possible honestly.
MOving to a side note, Rob and I are working on CM7, we got a working device folder, and today we are working on CM7 kernels. Will update as we progress. Just remember the week is always slow with little to no updates because i have school

Reactions: isklopz

simonsimons34

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
You would greately benifit. If you want a beta dev perview kind of thing check on xda, he shares it there for free ;) as far as screen lag, youll think this is crazy, but try this. Remove the screen protector or clean your screen or both, Its what ive noticed helps. Also overclocking helps.
And on usb tethering its built in, you wouldnt believe where they locked it out, i didnt know it was possible honestly.
MOving to a side note, Rob and I are working on CM7, we got a working device folder, and today we are working on CM7 kernels. Will update as we progress. Just remember the week is always slow with little to no updates because i have school

xshad0wzx

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the reply regarding the screen lag im experiencing. :)

but i do not have a screen protector on my phone as im extremely careful with any phone i have, and im using a overclocked kernel currently. its just the weirdest thing, idk what could be causing it, i havent came across anyone having the same problem by any means.

Im starting to think thats its probably just a hardware fault that just bearly passed quality inspection, lol, idk, im just assuming, but knowing my luck i wouldnt be suprised. im gonna get SetCPU and see what the frequencies are at by default with this kernel and turn them up a little bit if possible and see if maybe that helps.

thanks for the suggestions though, greatly appreciated :)

jaycustom21

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone! Has anyone here tried this ROM on the USCellular WFS? I gained s-off, rooted, and flashed CWM and Links2SD from the tut here a few months ago, and I'm dying to get ANY ROM on this thing besides stock. Will it work?

xshad0wzx

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I very well think it may be clock speed. It's not pre over clocked just capable

So, following up on this...i installed SetCPU, let it autodetect the frequencies, which the minimum was set to like 120mhz. (im gonna assume thats normal for battery saving when the phone is idling) i proceeded to push the max to 768, and the minimum to 600 to start with, and of course it reacted alot faster as it should, which was great...but when i put the phone on standby and brought it back out of standby, it wouldnt even turn on the screen or the touch keys for like 30seconds, then finally the keys lit up and the lockscreen showed up. after going back into SetCPU and trying a wide variety of frequencies to see if there was anything it would like, the best i could get was about a 5 second delay between hitting the standby button on top and the screen coming on. so i uninstalled SetCPU and rebooted my phone. all was going ok for the most part until it was actually at the home screen. It was so incredibly choppy and unresponsive it was unusable. so i just put it on standby and let it sit for a little while, and now its acting like it was before i installed SetCPU, it isnt choppy anymore, but the major touchscreen issue still persists...

any ideas? because im stumped, lol

again, thanks for the help simon, i know its extremely difficult to diagnose something you probably havent dealt with first hand since it seems like im the only one dealing with this, but any and all help is greatly appreciated :)

simonsimons34

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
At this point I say hardware. Try seeing if vm Will replace it. Usually Will. don't mention any mod you did even if they ask

xshad0wzx

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
At this point I say hardware. Try seeing if vm Will replace it. Usually Will. don't mention any mod you did even if they ask

yeah thats what i was thinking it was..but i figured id ask on here anyway

and yeah ill try getting a hold of them...does it matter how long ive had the phone? i bought it at radio shack when they had there black friday $99 deal...which was obviously right after thanksgiving.

also if they do agree to a replacement, would i have to re-flash a stock VM rom? and is there a way to get it back to S-ON so its completly stock? or would it even matter?

blazer1155

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Hey Simon, Have you read up on this flash , he claims it is fixed the camera and all [Unofficial Cyanogenmod 7.2.0-RC0-marvel-KANG]

IF you have does it work ok with the VM phone? If it does,could u use parts of the code to achive what your after?

I have wanted to try it but not sure if it would work as they say it does

blzr

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87