[WIP][KERNEL][ROM] Wildfire S Virgin Mobile USA

simonsimons34

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
If you like this, find it helpful, or want to support me please donate. Just follow these directions.
1) Be Logged-In to PayPal
2) Go to: https://www.paypal.com/sendmoney?email=simon@simonsimons34.co.cc
2a) If that didnt work and fill out the E-Mail please, use simon@simonsimons34.co.cc and select the way your sending as a GIFT
3) Enter the amount you want to give, Select personal, and Gift
4) Hit Continue and follow any of PayPal's Steps
5) Make sure that if asked, the receiving user DOES NOT Have to be verified.

All donations help me pay for what I need so I can develop :) Donors do get special privileges

This isnt really maintained anymore by me at least,
Please visit: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1432425 for the most up to date information

Last edited:

simonsimons34

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure this is all posted somewhere (although maybe not) hopefully this will get the development for this phone going. This is all tested on a Virgin US Wildfire S
Moderator, please consider this thread to be a sticky, it will save many hours of googleing research, and in my case a lot of creativity. It will also open development wide open for all to do. Also I'd like if you could, can we get a section going for the Virgin Mobile USA Wildfire S (CDMA) this is only a general section afterall. and this is highly Virgin Mobile Specific
Standard warning: Im not liable for ANY of your screw ups causing a semi-bricked phone

Adhoc connections through wifi:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-wildfire-s/137622-ad-hoc-android-android-tethering-enabler.html
I personally use this hack, when I build the ROM im going to include this into the rom (the wpa-suplicant that is)

S-Off:
Prerequisites: Windows, A USB cord for your phone, HTC Drivers, which are installed with the HTC Sync software, USB DEBUGGING ENABLED, and two files i will mention in the directions.
1) Download the files attached below
2) unrar the diag files, and unzip simple gold card.
3) BACK UP YOUR SD CARD, NOT AN OPTION!!!!!
4) Open simplegoldcard.exe in the unzipped file, and run as administrator in windows vista or 7
5) Plug your BACKED UP phone into your computer, enable disk mode
6) Select your phones device letter and select FORMAT SD CARD
7) Change your phone to Charge Only now
8) Select MMC1 in step three and click GetCID and copy it into the web page that the program links to and fill out the capatcha
9) Download the immage file
10) Go to step 5, load the immage you just downloaded
11) Place phone into disk drive mode, and click patch MMC
12) you have a working gold card now! :)
13) Place these files on the ROOT of your Goldcard, PG76DIAG.nbh and PG76DIAG.zip DONT EXTRACT THE ZIP
14) Once that has been done power off your phone and pull the battery for a good 5 seconds just to make sure it's completely off.
15) Boot into HBOOT by holding Volume down while pressing the power button (you do not need to hold the power button, only hold the volume down button) The HBOOT screen will boot up and then you can let go of the Volume down button.
16) The phone will automatically scan the SD card for the files we just put on the root of the SD card and will start the update process.
17) A screen will appear that says Clean s58. Press the power button once to select clean s58 and the phone will start doing it's thing and should take about a good 20 seconds until it's finished.
18) Once the process is complete then pull the battery to turn the phone off.
19) Remove the SD card from the phone, then boot into HBOOT again (VOL DWN AND POWER, if you cant remember ;)
20) It should now say S-OFF at the top of the screen, you can now do much more with your phone. Just pull the battery and boot like normal.
Alternate: 2fast4u88: his thread is here

Root:
Prerequisites: Windows, USB Cable, USB Debugging, files I mention in the directions, and S-OFF
This one thanks to CLShortFuse for the file
1) Download this and run as administrator
2) Make sure your drivers are installed and you have your phone on charge only and USB debugging enabled
3) make sure auto is selected in the Exploit
4) Click root, and wait
5) If it says do you want to test, click yes
6) If it wants to install Busy-box click yes
7) Your now rooted, enjoy

Custom Recovery:
Prerequisites: S-off, Fast boot in the settings menu OFF, Root (as far as I know, you may not need root)
1) Keep your gold card from when we got your Wildfire to S-off
2) Download this file DO NOT unzip (thanks 2fast4u88)
3) Now move this file to the root of your gold card UNZIPPED
4) Pull the battery
5) Put the battery back in and hold the Vol DWN rocker and power button, then install the Zip with up arrow.
6) Wait for the update symbol to go away, and your done. Pull the battery out, and boot like normal. You MUST delete this zip to boot into custom recovery. Custom recovery is accessed by the VOL DWN and Power then down to recovery then power. Your now in our new recovery.
This guide is created by me, however I DIDN'T create the recovery file, a Dev I can not find the name to did. It is tested, and 100% working

Link2Sd:
1) Download Link 2 SD from the market, its the blue sd card
2) Download a program called Mini tool Partition Wizard (thanks to Lumify) in windows, or use disk tools in Linux
2b) Plug your phone into your computer, set for disk mode
3) Partition your SD card for a second partition, Fat 32, primary
4) Put your phone into charge only, or eject and unplug
5) Go to Link2sd and select fat 32/16 create mount script
6) Reboot your phone
7) Go through and move all your apps to the new partition
8) Enjoy your new-found space :)

NEW
Xbox Live:
You will need: Windows 7, an ethernet cable, xbox 360, and Barnacle WiFi tether.
1) Tether your phone with barnacle, connect on the windows 7 Computer
2) Go to Network and Sharing center
3) Click on your wirless connection, and properties.
4) Go to sharing
5) Click both boxes. Make sure it says Local Area Connection.
6) Plug ethernet into the computer, and then the xbox. You will then only need to turn on your 360, and it will connect to live.
WARNING: THIS CONNECTION IS ONLY IF YOU DONT HAVE A HOME CONNECTION, A 4G Connection is needed for no lag... We only have 3G, so fill in any blanks on that one..

Change PRL for faster Internet and better signal:
You must download QPST, the PRL file, an app on the phone and be rooted:
1) download this on the phone https://market.android.com/details?id=com.esccode.msl&hl=en
2) Open the app, and accept the superuser request.
3) Tap read MSL
4) Write down your MSL, you'll need it
5) Go to the phone app, dial ##PORT# and hit on, then select.
6) Enter your MSL and click OK
7) Plug into a computer and download HTC diag drivers attached to this thread
8) Go ahead and Google and download QPST
9) Download and unzip the attached 60681.zip
10) Now for fun, ;) If anything confuses you, Google it.
10B) go to the device manager, and select the unknown HTC device, then update driver. then browse>let me pick from a list>have disk>go to downloaded unzipped folder>choose the appropriate folder for your OS type>click the driver. Now open, next, yes, close. Right click HTC Modem, and go to Properties>Advanced port settings>see what your COM port is
10C)Open QPST CONFIGURATION and select port. then add port, here you type the port your HTC MODEM is on.
10D) Your phone will now show up, and you will click start client>service programing
11) click your device and OK.
12) DO EXACTLY AS I SAY NOW! NOTHING ELSE!!! NO LOOKING AROUND!!!!!!!
13) Click read from phone, Give it the MSL you wrote down
14) Now click save to file
15) Click roam
16) Click browse where it says file and in that you put the 60681.prl you downloaded AND unzipped
17) Write to phone. THIS WILL RESTART THE PHONE, BOOT MAY TAKE A WHILE DON'T PANIC
18) Enjoy faster Internet :)
WIP:

Safe update list- UPDATE TO 11-25-11 IS SAFE, can still root and s-off

ANY IDEAS COMMENT, WELL ADD THEM IF THERES A NEED

Last edited:

simonsimons34

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Reserved for ROM:
CM7 ALPHA
(gnu liscense)
AOSP kernel and CM7 for the Wildfire S CDMA
Copyright (C) 2011 simonsimons34, 2fast4u88

This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>

Note: Credit must be given in some way to (simonsimons34 and bobzhome) for any use of this package other than being used as a rom without published modifications. Im simply protecting our work.
http://www.mediafire.com/?dij0hihxwyiptzj
Report anything that doesnt work

Okay guys heres my first ROM, of the series i want to create :)
SSROM
--RETIRED--

MarvelUSc ---CDMA ROM bugless stock sense overclockable great features. Use as a daily driver
http://www.mediafire.com/?1je0j84e3ske0gu

Last edited:

simonsimons34

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Okay, Im GNUing this kernel to prevent robbery lol. YOU MUST Give Bobzhome, and I credit for this kernel. If you dont, expect me to sue. No options.

AOSP kernel for the Wildfire S CDMA
Copyright (C) 2011 Bobzhome, simonsimons34

This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>

Note: Credit must be given to Bobzhome and I if used in any way.

here is the kernel In the form of zimage and the wifi module
http://www.mediafire.com/?dlttp5f8iwgoo1y

Last edited:

Lumify

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm thrilled to see some progress being made with this undiscovered phone. It won't be long before it's moved out of the "More HTC phones" section. I don't have any ROM cooking skills, but I'm rooting for you! :D

simonsimons34

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
It is a relatively new phone, after-all. I'm just getting the ball rolling. Going to read up on kernel development and Rom cooking, I only have the basics. Let us all know if the rooting works. Remember to s-off your phone:D

Lumify

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
The links for step 1 of S-OFF are broken.

I followed the guide precisely for S-OFF. I even disabled Fast Boot, according to the pre-existing guide. At the HBOOT screen, I got this:

Parsing...[PG76DIAG.nbh]
[1] MFG DIAG
Security fail!
Update Fail!
Press <POWER> to reboot.

simonsimons34

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
sorry about that, i attached it to this post. Okay, s-off didnt work because your card wasnt a gold card, you didnt have the zip. make your gold card and re start the steps. Sorry about bad link again.
EDIT: Also fixed links above. Simple html errors when i typed it up. As far as your error goes, its deffinately because your card wasnt a gold card

Last edited:

Lumify

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I got the files from the other thread. The links in your first post say "http://blahblahblah.com/blah" and link to "this file", but it should say "this file" and link to "http://blahblahblah.com/blah". That's the problem.

The S-OFF just now worked. Third time's the charm I guess. Now on to rooting!

Reactions: simonsimons34

simonsimons34

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm thrilled to see some progress being made with this undiscovered phone. It won't be long before it's moved out of the "More HTC phones" section. I don't have any ROM cooking skills, but I'm rooting for you! :D

I got the files from the other thread. The links in your first post say "http://blahblahblah.com/blah" and link to "this file", but it should say "this file" and link to "http://blahblahblah.com/blah". That's the problem.

The S-OFF just now worked. Third time's the charm I guess. Now on to rooting!

Thanks, im new to html myself, so i kind of got the beginners luck on it all wrong. And the S-OFF is known not to always stick the first time, but when you get S-OFF its off forever. Let us know about your root.

aditya_r_indratno

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I already follow all the instructions..
My question is for how long should the update process on S-OFF usually took time ?
Because on my HBOOT screen i've got :

Parsing...[PG76DIAG.nbh]
[1] MFG_DIAG
Update is in progress...
Jumping to DIAG...

But it almost 15 - 20 minutes without shows any response.. And i already try for 5 times (start from create the goldcard) and always be the same like that.. Clean S58 never appear on my screen..
Whats wrong with my WFS ? :confused:

simonsimons34

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I already follow all the instructions..
My question is for how long should the update process on S-OFF usually took time ?
Because on my HBOOT screen i've got :

Parsing...[PG76DIAG.nbh]
[1] MFG_DIAG
Update is in progress...
Jumping to DIAG...

But it almost 15 - 20 minutes without shows any response.. And i already try for 5 times (start from create the goldcard) and always be the same like that.. Clean S58 never appear on my screen..
Whats wrong with my WFS ? :confused:

Okay heres what I reccomend:
1) recreate your goldcard with simplegoldcard
2)put only the files in the rar on the goldcard
3) go to hboot and select clean s58 and hit power button to initialize the process. it should take 15-40 seconds, it will go back to saying clean s58 or diag
4) pull battery at this point, and remove sdcard
5) Boot hboot and look up top, should now be s-off

Let us know how this goes, ill edit the OP according to success

aditya_r_indratno

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Okay heres what I reccomend:
1) recreate your goldcard with simplegoldcard
2)put only the files in the rar on the goldcard
3) go to hboot and select clean s58 and hit power button to initialize the process. it should take 15-40 seconds, it will go back to saying clean s58 or diag
4) pull battery at this point, and remove sdcard
5) Boot hboot and look up top, should now be s-off

Let us know how this goes, ill edit the OP according to success

Thanks for your quick reply..

For point #2 :
I need to extract the DIAG Files into my Goldcard right ? So I can find these 2 files :
- PG67DIAG (Winzip File)
- PG67DIAG.nbh (NBH File)

For point #3 :
Clean S58 never appear in my HBOOT screen, I already waiting for @ the latest almost 20 minutes but still "Update is in progress... Jumping to DIAG..."

:':):)'(

simonsimons34

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your quick reply..

For point #2 :
I need to extract the DIAG Files into my Goldcard right ? So I can find these 2 files :
- PG67DIAG (Winzip File)
- PG67DIAG.nbh (NBH File)

For point #3 :
Clean S58 never appear in my HBOOT screen, I already waiting for @ the latest almost 20 minutes but still "Update is in progress... Jumping to DIAG..."

:':):)'(

Im away on here when im developing, so you can PM me if you would like even faster replies. Im serious about this phone. Anyways, yes thats exactly the two files. Ive had success with these files according to another member here, it worked for him. Just making sure, you are using a VM USA Wildfie S and you HAVE updated in the update section Settings>about>Update

EDIT: OMG, I forgot to mention. not all SD Cards work for a goldcard. In my expierence sandisk does try another SD Card, any other

Lumify

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I've rooted successfully. Now I'm figuring out Link2SD. What's the difference between App2SD and Link2SD? Everyone seems gung ho about Link2SD because you can choose which apps to move, but I don't see how it matters. Is there any benefit from these over the default "Settings > SD & phone storage > Make more space"? I have some experience with these on my old Optimus V, but I couldn't decide which to use.

I couldn't find Egus partition manager. Maybe you meant Easeus partition manager.

The 2GB Sandisk card that came with the phone works as a goldcard for me. I'm using another 32GB Sandisk card I bought for my main card.

Last edited:

simonsimons34

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I've rooted successfully. Now I'm figuring out Link2SD. What's the difference between App2SD and Link2SD? Is there any benefit from these over the default "Settings > SD & phone storage > Make more space"? I have some experience with these on my old Optimus V, but I couldn't decide which to use.

I couldn't find Egus partition manager. Maybe you meant Easeus partition manager.

The 2GB Sandisk card that came with the phone works as a goldcard for me. I'm using another 32GB Sandisk card I bought for my main card.

How does it feel to be one of the first WFS users out there ;) I did mean Easeus, late at night sick and running on Mntn Dew lol... Back on topic, once you format to fat 32, not EXT as we dont have a kernel with support YET haha, just put it in the phone and go to Link2Sd application, tap fat16/32 and then make script. Restart the phone, and go back to link2sd if it worked youll get a change log. now just tap an app within the app and select create link, and make sure every possible box is checked then hit create link.
As to difference
Apps2sd is the same as the standard GB app2sd, it saves space but not much and no widgets.
Link2sd, this ones powerful, especially if you dont flash roms. You have to do more but in the end your apps take up NO space on the phone, well very little 1kb. Meaning you can have 1000's of apps, only limited by your sd partitions space. It is FAR superior to apps2sd
ALSO:::
sorry that i was a slow reply, ive been working on a new hack youll like today :cool::cool:
it makes your internet speed way faster especially in some areas. Very safe if you follow directions, look under the new section.
PS, think i should make video turorials on youtube for this? and im making you an official beta tester for all my tutorials, for your loyalty to my advice, Thank You:D

djsquiggly

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Im stuck on your step 8. ( Step 4 in super gold card) when i open the web page i get a page not found. its the revskills web page but there is no place to put in my CID?

simonsimons34

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Im stuck on your step 8. ( Step 4 in super gold card) when i open the web page i get a page not found. its the revskills web page but there is no place to put in my CID?

Sadly this is a known issue at the moment. The website is down and expected to be up soon. Im assuming upgrades but i dont own the site so i dont know. Ill give a quick look to see if i can find a alternate site. Its nothing to do with the process just the sight.
PS
Rom is going along, still trying to find out where to add propiatary blobs.. but im going to try one cyanogenmod sense and one only cyanogenmod
EDIT:: Turns out you can't even make a goldcard all by yourself. Just wait for the link to go live again. I think they were hacked and are in the process of recovering

Last edited:

Lumify

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Wow, no EXT support really blows. My second partition was already set up with FAT32 (24GB), EXT4 (4GB), and swap space (1GB) from my old phone on CM7. I wonder why I put swap space on there (I don't remember). Does Android use that?

By the way, I'm using Minitool Partition Wizard. It's free, user friendly, and it's the only Windows partition manager I've found that has EXT4 support.

simonsimons34

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Wow, no EXT support really blows. My second partition was already set up with FAT32 (24GB), EXT4 (4GB), and swap space (1GB) from my old phone on CM7. I wonder why I put swap space on there (I don't remember). Does Android use that?

By the way, I'm using Minitool Partition Wizard. It's free, user friendly, and it's the only Windows partition manager I've found that has EXT4 support.

I know, thats why I dropped the repo sync on the rom, and am commited to modifying our kernel. Hopefully up sometime tomorrow :) Swap space can be used by android, but also needs to be in our kernel. It speeds up the rom. And thank you for the reccomendation Im adding your tool to the OP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol