How's your screen protector holding up? (Original and/or 3rd party)

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Now that we are several months into these phones, how is your screen protector holding up? I am interested in both the one that came with the phone and if you put a third part one on.

I noticed that the one that came with my phone is now showing several 1-2" scratches but I am debating whether or not to replace it. I am going to Africa in a few months and I need the screen protected. I don't know if I should just leave this one on or go with a third party one.

So... what is your phone screen wearing and has it held up?

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
OEM collects finger print smudges and yes 3rd party. Whole thread in mate 9 section.

Take it off and put a heavy duty protector on.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Mines good so far but I do have a 4 pack I got on Amazon sitting on my desk. The stock one is indeed a fingerprint nightmare but it fits perfect and I'm worried the others may be a nightmare to put on. I really wish the manufacturers would stop with this curved edge nonsense as it's almost impossible to get a tempered glass protector to fit right.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Mines good so far but I do have a 4 pack I got on Amazon sitting on my desk. The stock one is indeed a fingerprint nightmare but it fits perfect and I'm worried the others may be a nightmare to put on. I really wish the manufacturers would stop with this curved edge nonsense as it's almost impossible to get a tempered glass protector to fit right.

Completely agree. The only ones that ever work on the 2.5 glass are smaller than they should have to be.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't really find anything in the other screen protector discussions. I am hoping some people pipe in here with their longer term experience with the protectors they mention in those threads. All of those were more about having ordered or just received one.

Drew Oswalt

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
The oem is fine on my device. But once it's too ratty, I'll replace it with one I got from amazon.

Update: noticing a lot of scratches now. Guess I'll have to install one of the glass ones I have. Just don't like that they're smaller than the screen.

Last edited:

aagvain

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
so far my prefs are
1)supershields
2)ringke
neither fully cover but so far work very well. havent found a temp glass that doesnt halo yet

rjl2

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Got my Mate 9 off Swappa and received it last Friday. Just tonight (literally 10 minutes ago) I peeled off the factory installed screen protector as the fingerprints and other smudges on it were driving me crazy. It also had some specs under it that once I saw I couldn't forget. I'm going to stay without one for the time being.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Got my Mate 9 off Swappa and received it last Friday. Just tonight (literally 10 minutes ago) I peeled off the factory installed screen protector as the fingerprints and other smudges on it were driving me crazy. It also had some specs under it that once I saw I couldn't forget. I'm going to stay without one for the time being.

Can you report back in a few weeks on how its holding up? Im trying to leave the factory one on but the smudges are becoming too much. My phone goes in my jeans back pocket and looking at my unprotected iPhone, Im thinking thats not a good idea without a screen protector. The iPhone has a bunch of surface scratches. Fortunately I dont really use or care about that phone so no biggy.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
FYI - Don't buy a tempered glass off of eBay. I did. It was like $4. I figured why not. It adds too much height to the phone and the weirdness of the black bars on the top and bottom, not my thing. Maybe they make thinner ones. I just don't think tempered glass is going to work on this phone unless you don't mind it being smaller tha n the screen and looking obvious.

brutos08

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Tempered glass doesn't work well at all i bought two so far from Amazon both don't fit well and especially when a case on

jeepentj

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I've bought three different tempered glass screen protectors and so far, this is the only one that I've been pleased with. It's still a little bit small (compared to the OEM one) but it seems to stick well on the edges, where other ones have pulled up a little bit (because of the slight curve in the screen. Overall, it looks pretty good.

The only thing I will say about it is I cracked after what seemed like a relatively easy drop. Hard to say definitively if it's weak or just a fluke though. If I lose another one for whatever reason, I'd definitely buy this one again.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7PQ47...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5711430

Ev C

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Can you report back in a few weeks on how its holding up? Im trying to leave the factory one on but the smudges are becoming too much. My phone goes in my jeans back pocket and looking at my unprotected iPhone, Im thinking thats not a good idea without a screen protector. The iPhone has a bunch of surface scratches. Fortunately I dont really use or care about that phone so no biggy.

I've been using without a screen protector for over a month and no issues or scratches at all. I couldn't stand the factory screen protector and I used tempered glass for a month, but it too collected fingerprints. It's so much nicer without one at all. The screen is very scratch resistant. I gained this confidence after watching jerry rig everythings video on mate 9 durability.

https://youtu.be/2j1AivjSlIA

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, so, take that screen protector I mentioned above off your list. I updated my review - first line:
https://www.amazon.com/review/R20KW...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5715897

Unfortunately, I travel and my next stop is going to be a special chalenge for my phone... Africa. I will probably get a little stronger case and I definitely want the screen shielded somehow. Why don't they make a good protector for this phone?!?!?

Last edited:

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, so, take that screen protector I mentioned above off your list. I updated my review - first line:
https://www.amazon.com/review/R20KW7...cUvbUpU5710859?tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5716044

Unfortunately, I travel and my next stop is going to be a special chalenge for my phone... Africa. I will probably get a little stronger case and I definitely want the screen shielded somehow. Why don't they make a good protector for this phone?!?!?
It's these stupid 2.5 curved edge screens. I see LG is using some sense and keeping the G6 screen completely flat. That alone makes me interested in getting it.

rjl2

May 4, 2010
Visit site
After two weeks without a screen protector, things are looking pretty good. No scratches or belmishes. Much easier to keep free of fingerprints as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non