2150 mAh battery and I LIKE IT!!!!

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
This may have already been asked, but is there a hard case that fits the size with the external battery anyone can recommend?

Guess I should have quoted him, or you could have read the post before either way, the answer is no there is not a hard case that fits the extended battery.

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site
OK, so now I know for a fact that once the charging circuitry in the phone detects a full charge, it immediately starts using the battery to operate and doesn't draw ANY power from the charging cable.

Last night, I charged the phone to full and I was still awake when the light turned green... I picked up the phone, played a game, went on the internet, etc. Phone held a 100% charge for a few minutes, then started dropping. After about an hour of medium/heavy usage, I was down to 94%. Which is about right for the usage I was putting in.

I plugged the phone back in and went to sleep... The dog woke me up about an hour later and I glanced at the phone... Green light. I let the phone sit as I went back to sleep for about 4.5 hours and then took the phone off the charger. It immediately dropped from 100% to 99%... then 95%, 93%, 92% and finally settled at 91%... This drop took only 2 minutes to happen and the drop from 93% to 91% took a few seconds longer than the rest as the battery sensors were "zeroing in" on the actual charge level. This 9% drop is indicative of a phone that's been sitting for 4 - 5 hours on the new battery partially idle and syncing mail, Facebook, Twitter, etc...

Now, this may be a design of the phone, but it really will not work for many people... An example is that I'm going to be driving from NY to Florida in a few months... I'm going to leave the phone plugged in when I use my GPS. Problem is, if the phone is fully charged, it's going to run off the battery and I'll have to remember to unplug and plug back in the charger to make sure I have battery left when I leave the car... Hence why a lot of people report charging the phone overnight, using it for a minute or two, and then needing to top off the battery before they leave. While they were sleeping, the phone started using the battery. This was also proven in the EVO forum thread that I linked earlier.

Could something like this be fixed via a software update? It seems it would need a firmware update to fix the charge circuitry to run off of the power source when plugged in... Either way, I seriously think this is something HTC needs to address on both the DI and the EVO...

hls811

May 14, 2010
Visit site
OK, so now I know for a fact that once the charging circuitry in the phone detects a full charge, it immediately starts using the battery to operate and doesn't draw ANY power from the charging cable.

Last night, I charged the phone to full and I was still awake when the light turned green... I picked up the phone, played a game, went on the internet, etc. Phone held a 100% charge for a few minutes, then started dropping. After about an hour of medium/heavy usage, I was down to 94%. Which is about right for the usage I was putting in.

I plugged the phone back in and went to sleep... The dog woke me up about an hour later and I glanced at the phone... Green light. I let the phone sit as I went back to sleep for about 4.5 hours and then took the phone off the charger. It immediately dropped from 100% to 99%... then 95%, 93%, 92% and finally settled at 91%... This drop took only 2 minutes to happen and the drop from 93% to 91% took a few seconds longer than the rest as the battery sensors were "zeroing in" on the actual charge level. This 9% drop is indicative of a phone that's been sitting for 4 - 5 hours on the new battery partially idle and syncing mail, Facebook, Twitter, etc...

Now, this may be a design of the phone, but it really will not work for many people... An example is that I'm going to be driving from NY to Florida in a few months... I'm going to leave the phone plugged in when I use my GPS. Problem is, if the phone is fully charged, it's going to run off the battery and I'll have to remember to unplug and plug back in the charger to make sure I have battery left when I leave the car... Hence why a lot of people report charging the phone overnight, using it for a minute or two, and then needing to top off the battery before they leave. While they were sleeping, the phone started using the battery. This was also proven in the EVO forum thread that I linked earlier.

Could something like this be fixed via a software update? It seems it would need a firmware update to fix the charge circuitry to run off of the power source when plugged in... Either way, I seriously think this is something HTC needs to address on both the DI and the EVO...

I was suspecting something like this, the other day I charged it overnight, when I got up I did the power off/bump charging, then when it went green again, I didn't need the phone right away so I powered it on and left it connected - when I did go to grab the phone, it dropped quickly, essentially negating the bump charge.

Have you sent this to HTC? (I would hope they already know of the issue but it can't hurt to let them know what you came up with...) - it really does need to be fixed. Bump charging is an acceptable temporary fix, but I can't always keep the phone off for an extra 40 minutes each morning in order to get a full day out of my phone.

JimmyMac

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I have not completely read through all this, but I hear some are wondering about whether or not the Incredible is fulling charging or seeing the 2150 or not. I'm not sure how the charge profile is setup in the phone. But Lithium batteries charge up to a specific voltage. This voltage will determine whether or not the battery is fully charged. So this phone should see that "predetermined" voltage and call it fully charged regardless if the battery is 600mah, 1300mah, 2150mah or 21500mah. However, it could have a safety feature in the profile that will cut off the charge if it charges over a certain mah rating. Since the phone came with a 1300mah pack, the charger might cut off if the battery in the phone receives more than a program setting of say... 1300mah (for examples sake). This prevents the battery from overcharging (due to battery failure, etc) up to 2000 or 3000mah. Which then, the battery would have a thermal nuclear meltdown.

Unplugging the phone, and plugging it back in, or shutting it off might reset the mah rating, and it can put more charge back into the battery until it see's the correct "fully charged" voltage rating.

Maybe this is one of the things that HTC is doing with the new FCC class II permissive change? I dunno. Just a guess? Or better battery management?

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

I posted about this about a month ago over at androidforums.com. I was using the Google Maps Navigation and my whole ride there I had it plugged into the car charger. My battery showed 100% the whole trip. I got there unplugged my phone and it instantly dropped to 58%. The phone wasn't in the sun and never felt any hotter than my Blackberry Storm did when using nav. I could have maybe chalked it up to overheating but on the way back I started with 42% battery and plugged it in and used navigation. Got home and was at 89%. So since it never made it to 100% it never stopped charging.

I am 100% positive that it stops using the power from the charger once it reaches 100% too. Definitely the first phone I've ever had that behaves this way. My wife has the MyTouch Slide. If we use her phone for nav and its at 100% it will still be at 100% when we reach our destination and unplug her phone. She also doesn't have to do any bump charging. Not sure what the deal is since it's an HTC phone as well.

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Jimmy, the battery is definitely getting a full charge, I have no doubt about that. It's just not running off of external power once fully charged like every other phone I've seen... BB's, iPhone's, Dumbphones, etc...

I just spoke to HTC Support and explained the issue with the phone not running off of external power once it detects a full charge. I gave her details of what I experienced this morning and what several others have experienced. I also told her the issue seems to affect the EVO as well as most likely they have the same charge circuitry (which she believes they do).

I was shocked to hear her agree with me that this should not be happening and that the phone should run off of external power when fully charged. She knew of the "bump" procedure and agreed that if the phone ran off of external power until unplugged, there would be no need for "topping off" the battery after a night's charge.

She is going to forward her notes and our conversation to the engineers at HTC to investigate the issue. Now, I most likely won't hear anything directly back from them, but she sounded sincere when she agreed this was a problem, so I hope she follows through. She also said the engineers are in Taiwan and it may take a little time to investigate and possibly come up with a fix, but it's a start in the right direction... Hopefully...

EDIT: I'm also not looking to take credit for finding this as I'm sure others have posted this previously... I'm just looking for answers and keeping everyone in the loop on my findings...

JimmyMac

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Awesome! Good to see you step up to the plate on this one. Did you give her links to the forums and/or posts? Hopefully the engineers already know about this and have a fix on the way. But that may be wishful thinking. hehe

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Jimmy, the battery is definitely getting a full charge, I have no doubt about that. It's just not running off of external power once fully charged like every other phone I've seen... BB's, iPhone's, Dumbphones, etc...

I just spoke to HTC Support and explained the issue with the phone not running off of external power once it detects a full charge. I gave her details of what I experienced this morning and what several others have experienced. I also told her the issue seems to affect the EVO as well as most likely they have the same charge circuitry (which she believes they do).

I was shocked to hear her agree with me that this should not be happening and that the phone should run off of external power when fully charged. She knew of the "bump" procedure and agreed that if the phone ran off of external power until unplugged, there would be no need for "topping off" the battery after a night's charge.

She is going to forward her notes and our conversation to the engineers at HTC to investigate the issue. Now, I most likely won't hear anything directly back from them, but she sounded sincere when she agreed this was a problem, so I hope she follows through. She also said the engineers are in Taiwan and it may take a little time to investigate and possibly come up with a fix, but it's a start in the right direction... Hopefully...

EDIT: I'm also not looking to take credit for finding this as I'm sure others have posted this previously... I'm just looking for answers and keeping everyone in the loop on my findings...

HTC already knows about this. Someone on this board posted that they found an HTC Facebook fan page and apparently someone from Tech support stated that HTC knows about the charging issue and the signal strength and apparently, according to them, the issues is related. They (HTC) is already developing a ROM update to address both issues.

Prospekt

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
HTC already knows about this. Someone on this board posted that they found an HTC Facebook fan page and apparently someone from Tech support stated that HTC knows about the charging issue and the signal strength and apparently, according to them, the issues is related. They (HTC) is already developing a ROM update to address both issues.

I hope this is true. The bug is slightly annoying to say the least. Glad to know they're aware of the issue though.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
That is old news they new about before the inc shipped and have been working on a fix since the release. For HTC its all about the eVo

willymakit

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Got mine today,as stated by others not even close to looking as bad as showed in the pics ,as it does in person. Did the charging cycle, 1 hr. in- 15 min. net surfing,couple e mails,about 20 text 2 phone calls about 1 min each still at 100%. The stock battery would have been at 82% if not lower. It is worth the little extra thickness. I did the dremmel tool to a case for work and is very nice.

Colin

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Anybody notice that you can't power the Incredible on at all if it's plugged in but the battery is removed? Some older laptops used to work this way too, and it was because the battery is literally part of the circuit that delivers power to the rest of the device... sort of like the old christmas lights where if you pull one bulb out the whole strand dies.

If this is the case with the incredible, then depending on how it's designed, it may not be possible for the phone to ignore the battery and switch to drawing power exclusively from the charger.

Modern laptop batteries are smart enough to essentially cut themselves out of the loop once they hit full charge, which both prevents overcharging and prevents what seems to be happening to the Inc and EVO. But to engineer a device today that doesn't have that cut-out feature that seems like a really dumb engineering choice, and one which there would be plenty of experience to draw on in avoiding. I'm thinking this is probably a case where the wiring is there, but the OS or power management circuitry is getting confused and not executing it properly. I sure hope it ends up being the kind of thing they can fix with an update...

If not, probably what will happen is they'll deny that the issue exists, or just not say anything.

Has anybody done the kill-a-watt thing on the Inc yet?

makya53

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
After there days this 2150 passes my heavy use test with flying colors. I didn't think it would average out to handle a whole day of my phone abuse. I recommend this....no need for meer to waste my money on the seidio 3500.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

babracmmm

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I asked this earlier and got a "probably should" answer. Can anyone now tell me if the phone with the 2150 battery will fit into a horizontal belt holder? The one I have now seems a little snug with the VZW silicone case and stock battery.

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I asked this earlier and got a "probably should" answer. Can anyone now tell me if the phone with the 2150 battery will fit into a horizontal belt holder? The one I have now seems a little snug with the VZW silicone case and stock battery.

The Universal ones are being sold as "Compatible with extended battery". "Probably should" is the best answer most of us have as we don't know for sure. If you go to a VZW store, they should let you put your phone in a holder and see how much room is left.

Has anybody done the kill-a-watt thing on the Inc yet?

Kill-A-Watt was only done by someone in the EVO forums, but HTC stated the circuitry is the same.

mikemyu

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Has anybody here tried using a external charger for your battery? Just a thought, maybe it will help charge the battery up to 100%. I know it may seem to be a pita, having to take the battery cover off and on and having to carry extra things around. Do you guys think using one of those external chargers for the battery alone will help charge the battery to the max as it should be.

I too have the 2150 battery and I am experiencing what everybody here has been talking about. I just got the battery yesterday and got about 10 hours on it only.

babracmmm

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks CRKhead. The nearest Verizon store is over 60 miles away, plus I don't have the battery yet, but do have the holster. I didn't want to order the battery if I was going to have to buy a new holster. I'm trying to keep my costs down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress