Convince me to root!:)

joshhumada

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I want to root very bad and i have done my research but i am still debating. Is it easy to unroot? What are the chances of me bricking my brand new droid incredible?

Jaredshoes

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
to tell you the truth its hard to unroot your phone but it is also hard to brick just follow the directions theres alot of great things that come out of rooting for instance You can flash cool new roms you could overclock your phone you can get rid of bloat theres just so many things you can do to make a great phone even better

ilhe1s

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
My first question would be do you have insurance on the device? If so say F it and go for it and don't look back.

Depending on if you Root with S (Security)-On or S-Off, Unrevoked can do both, will determine how easy it is to unroot. S-Off is more permanent.

If you can follow directions well and are somewhat tech savvy you will do fine. As soon as you gain root privileges download and install Titanium backup and ROM manager. Make a backup immediately so that you have a stock backup, just in case.

fillossofer

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Do it! Once you do, you'll laugh at yourself for being scared. It really is easy, and should you need to unroot, that's not that hard to do either (I know, as I had to get a replacement and unrooted my old phone before returning it).

Playing with custom ROMs is a lot of fun. I installed Skyraider 3.5 and ran it for several months before just flashing CM7 last week. It's like getting a brand new phone and playing with all the new features all over again.

Do it!

joshhumada

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
My first question would be do you have insurance on the device? If so say F it and go for it and don't look back.

Depending on if you Root with S (Security)-On or S-Off, Unrevoked can do both, will determine how easy it is to unroot. S-Off is more permanent.

If you can follow directions well and are somewhat tech savvy you will do fine. As soon as you gain root privileges download and install Titanium backup and ROM manager. Make a backup immediately so that you have a stock backup, just in case.
wh
at if i want to leave s-on, will it be easy to unroot?

ilhe1s

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
wh
at if i want to leave s-on, will it be easy to unroot?

Not exactly easy but easier.

Click on Unrevoked in my signature, pick your phone and choose Unrevoked 3 for S-On and Unrevoked Forever for S-Off and read through both and compare.

joshhumada

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Not exactly easy but easier.

Click on Unrevoked in my signature, pick your phone and choose Unrevoked 3 for S-On and Unrevoked Forever for S-Off and read through both and compare.

"unrevoked3 will permanently unlock NAND write protection by default could you please explain what this means? What if i want to try rooting to see if i like it and if i dont like it i will restore back to stock, would unrevoked 3 be the one i should use?

ilhe1s

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
"unrevoked3 will permanently unlock NAND write protection by default could you please explain what this means? What if i want to try rooting to see if i like it and if i dont like it i will restore back to stock, would unrevoked 3 be the one i should use?

NAND unlock allows certain apps to write to system files, such as AdFree. I'm sure everyone in here will tell you once you Root you will never go back. Even if all you do is remove bloatware you will be glad you Rooted. Go for it and make sure to make a backup immediately using ROM manager before you make any modifications like deleting bloatware. Then once you get the ROM how you want it then make another backup.

joshhumada

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
NAND unlock allows certain apps to write to system files, such as AdFree. I'm sure everyone in here will tell you once you Root you will never go back. Even if all you do is remove bloatware you will be glad you Rooted. Go for it and make sure to make a backup immediately using ROM manager before you make any modifications like deleting bloatware. Then once you get the ROM how you want it then make another backup.
im probably wrong but i thought that you need s-off to use rom manager?

ilhe1s

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
im probably wrong but i thought that you need s-off to use rom manager?

I just read through their description in the market and didn't see any suck requirement. I personally don't use ROM manager unless I'm downloading a new recovery or ROM.

I have an app called quick boot and some ROMs have this built in to where it will reboot and jump directly into bootloader or recovery. You can also just power off your device and hold power and vol - at the same time. From bootloader you can flash radios and signed HTC .img files. In recovery you can flash Zips, Kernels and make backups and restore.

Upstreammiami

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
its easy to unroot its even easier if i root your phone!!!! the only way u will brick your phone is if you mess up the radio thats very rare ... one word .. fantastic, marvelous, great, super, fabulous, good, stupendous, awesome, super awesome.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Though I know Upstreammiami is "the root man", I really don't think the forum community should have to convince you to do it. Do your research, decide if its for you, do it or don't. If someone talks you into it and you don't dig it your just gonna blame them for talking you into it.

gej215

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm only 6 weeks new to the whole Android system. I just rooted my phone yesterday and put on CM6 and noticed my battery life has doubled. What I love about it. Wasn't difficult at all and I love the new layout

fadepoint89

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Its just one of those things where you gotta bite the bullet and do it. Once you do you'll wonder why you even asked in the first place. Rooting is awesome. It is ALMOST impossible to brick your phone if you do it the Unrevoked method. If you still feel uncomfortable, watch a youtube video of the Unrevoked method and you will laugh at how truly easy it is.