GingerSense? Can I? Should I? How?

svocke

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I have been running the CyanogenMod 7.0.3 with ADW Launcher EX on the DInc and have been pretty happy with it. I would, however, like to bump up to the newer Gingerbread version as available in the CyanogenMod nightlies. I am also interested in adding the Sense UI as the HTC Sensation has now been released with a GingerSense combo. I am also interested in upgrading my kernel as I have heard that it can improve battery life. I have seen recommendations for IncrediKernel but there are a ton of them, especially betas. I also enjoyed using Carbonite and would be interested in reskinning it once everything else is set.
I know that I am asking a lot of questions but I am trying to plot out my plan of attack as it takes some time to perform some of the dicier mods and then getting everything up and running afterward can be a fit frustrating.
I have read a ton of articles so I feel I have done my homework but, with so much info in the "Incredible Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks" forum, I'm a bit overwhelmed.
I like to be a bit cutting-edge but do not want to recover on a weekly basis so stability is also important to me.

svocke

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
You can't add Sense to CM7, however there are some gingersense ROM's, some with Sense 2 and even a couple with Sense 3, available for the Dinc.
Hmmm...do any of the Sense 2.0 or 3.0 have the latest version of Gingerbread? 2.3.4, I think. I was trying to find out about Gingerbread versions before I got distracted in the forums again and, by the time I got back to posting, I had forgotten about it and just posted what I had already typed. Many seem to feel that it is more important to put the latest Gingerbread build on the phone rather than worrying about Sense too much.
With that in mind, I am going to try out the latest nightlies on CM7, rather than sticking to the old stable version, which has an older version of Gingerbread (2.3.3?).
After that, I am thinking of trying IncrediKernel 6/19/2011. Or should I try one of the Betas?
Also, is carbonite good for CM7 nightlies. If so, which version?

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the CM7 nightlies. Very stable, no bugs, all around great. If you want the latest version of gingerbread and can live without sense go for it. As for what version of gingerbread the gingersense ROMs have, I 'm not a Sense fan at all so I wouldn't know, though I would expect that if the Dinc doesn't already have a 2.3.4 gingersense ROM we will get one eventually. And by carbonite do you mean carbonite fusion? That is a Sense based gingersense ROM, and I believe it runs 2.3.3 If you want to give it a try then go for it.

Reactions: svocke

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
There is a Carbonite Fusion theme for CM7 as well. I don't remember off the top of my head if he converted it to theme manager so it will work in any nightly. Check the ROM's and Mod's thread and you'll find a link for the CF themes as well as the full ROM.

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
There is a Carbonite Fusion theme for CM7 as well. I don't remember off the top of my head if he converted it to theme manager so it will work in any nightly. Check the ROM's and Mod's thread and you'll find a link for the CF themes as well as the full ROM.

There is a Carbonite Fusion theme for CM7. My bad.

The XDA thread has a theme chooser compatible .apk.

[Theme] Carbonite CM7 (05/2/2011) - xda-developers

svocke

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok...here is the update.
Installed Nightly #114 with data, Dalvik, and cache wiped. Success!
Installed IncrediKernel 2.63.38.8. Success!
Installed MIUI camera. I am unsure how to see if this was successful or even what it does but I did notice a new "Camera" app in my phone. I assume it is better than the "camera" that is downgraded by using CM7 or something.
I was going to install Gapps after going to the nightly but they seemed to already be installed and working.
I am going to try out that Carbonite Fusion link you posted now.
Thank you so much for the help, everyone!

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok...here is the update.
Installed Nightly #114 with data, Dalvik, and cache wiped. Success!
Installed IncrediKernel 2.63.38.8. Success!
Installed MIUI camera. I am unsure how to see if this was successful or even what it does but I did notice a new "Camera" app in my phone. I assume it is better than the "camera" that is downgraded by using CM7 or something.
I was going to install Gapps after going to the nightly but they seemed to already be installed and working.
I am going to try out that Carbonite Fusion link you posted now.
Thank you so much for the help, everyone!

Welcome to the world of CM7 nightlies.

I love the MIUI camera. It takes muck nicer looking pictures then the stock camera that comes with CM7, though just be aware that some people, myself included, have to turn off auto flash or else the camera freezes then reboots the phone whenever you try to take a picture. I don't think everyone has that problem, but it is something to be aware of.

Good luck with the Carbonite Fusion theme and enjoy the nightlies.

svocke

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
So I'm unsure which version of Carbonite Fusion to use. Most links show v.5 but there is also version G1.0.
Or even if you recommend Carbonite Fusion at all. I think I tried Synergy once and really liked it. I am open to try something else if Carbonite Fusion is not recommended.
Thank you again!
And thanks for the tip about the possible problem with the auto-flash on MIUI camera!

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
So I'm unsure which version of Carbonite Fusion to use. Most links show v.5 but there is also version G1.0.
Or even if you recommend Carbonite Fusion at all. I think I tried Synergy once and really liked it. I am open to try something else if Carbonite Fusion is not recommended.
Thank you again!
And thanks for the tip about the possible problem with the auto-flash on MIUI camera!

No problem. If you can't get Carbonite Fusion to work go with Synergy, it's one of my favorite themes.

svocke

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Decided to trust ROM Manager on this one and it listed Carbonite Fusion v.5 as available for download and install.
*crossing fingers*

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm on the CM7 nightlies. Very stable, no bugs, all around great. If you want the latest version of gingerbread and can live without sense go for it. As for what version of gingerbread the gingersense ROMs have, I 'm not a Sense fan at all so I wouldn't know, though I would expect that if the Dinc doesn't already have a 2.3.4 gingersense ROM we will get one eventually. And by carbonite do you mean carbonite fusion? That is a Sense based gingersense ROM, and I believe it runs 2.3.3 If you want to give it a try then go for it.

There is a 2.3.3 version of Carbonite Fusion (xda-developers.com). I used it for about a week but it's not a final version yet and has a few minor bugs. Plus, and a big issue for me, is that Netflix will not work and if you are using Touchdown for your email, the license file is incompatible also.

svocke

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah...Carbonite Fusion appears to have failed completely but the link states that it is for the CM7 Nightly #54, or something. I don't think Nightlies were operating on 2.3.4 at that time. I might try Synergy if it will work but I remember it being super-dark and would prefer the sexy blue highlights of Carbonite. Can Synergy be blue?

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah...Carbonite Fusion appears to have failed completely but the link states that it is for the CM7 Nightly #54, or something. I don't think Nightlies were operating on 2.3.4 at that time. I might try Synergy if it will work but I remember it being super-dark and would prefer the sexy blue highlights of Carbonite. Can Synergy be blue?

No, but if you want a blue theme there is a theme called Blue Bionic you might like.