How do I unlock my Verizon Droid Charge to use a CDMA in India?

Stuart193

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I am new to using forums and this is my first posting. In Aug 2011, I purchased (upgraded) my phone to the Verizon Droid. I was told that Verizon would unlock it once a year when I traveled and yes it could be used global. Well, here I am in India for 10 days to attend my daughter's Wedding and the phone will not connect. I am staying at the Le Meridian in Delhi. I just purchased a new sim card here and want to know how to unlock phone. I called Verizon and asked to be upgraded to the newer Droid that came out 1 day after the return policy ended. Even though I bought 4 Droid Changers at once for my family and business and asked that they just upgrade 1 phone so that I would not have any problems, it has been a big problem. After 15 years with Verizon as a family of 5 and for my Businesses and spending thousands a month, I am clearly disgusted. As soon as I have some extra money I will break all contracts pay the fees and move on. I do not want to pay 2000 a month to a company that could care less. Verizon was very different to good customers a few years back. I do like the Droid though and will get it with a different carrier. In the meantime, Help.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: How do I unlock my Verizon Droid Charge to use a CDMA in Indi

Hi.. Welcome to Android Central. I'm hoping someone in the forums might be able to assist you with this problem. I know how frustrating and annoyed it can get when you want something done.

Most of these carriers only care about you as long as you don't asked for any favors.
Enjoy the forum - and GOOD LUCK TO YOU. :)

nerdydesi

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: How do I unlock my Verizon Droid Charge to use a CDMA in Indi

I used to work at Verizon in their call center a few months ago. Unfortunately, they clearly gave you the wrong information, which I am very sorry about and I don't blame you for being frustrated and upset.

The Droid Charge uses a sim card, but that is only for use with Verizon's LTE technology. It will not work with GSM sim cards from other carriers, period. It isn't even designed to use LTE networks from other carriers when they launch them.

GSM phones can be unlocked, but for CDMA, its virtually impossible. Some CDMA phones can be flashed to work on another carrier, but it is far harder than using a GSM phone on another carrier.

I'm pretty sure your only choice is to use the phone with Verizon and in countries that offer CDMA, like India, you will roam on those carriers, which can get incredibly expensive. I would avoid using 3G data there at all costs. The costs for Verizon can be up to $20.48 PER MEGABYTE!

Europe only uses GSM so your Droid Charge would not work there at all.

Sorry, but the news doesn't look good for you. :'(