Hello, fairly new, Verizon/HTC Thunderbolt Owner, looking for new phone

lescarpio

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Greetings all!

Just enjoyed the live podcast, hearing about the HTC DNA. I'm on Verizon and have an upgrade coming up Dec. 12th and there's so many lovely new toys I've been looking at that I just want to get my grubby fingerprints on! I like the DNA, except its size; 5-inches!!! That's 2 smaller than my Nexus 7 (1...2.. yes! I can count).

I'm also a current Thunderbolt owner and frankly I'm very disappointed to see that HTC will most likely NOT update the Thunderbolt to Jelly Bean, let alone ICS. It's one of the main reasons why I'm hesitant when it comes to buying another HTC phone, or Android as a whole... Fragmentation is so overwhelming...

Besides that, I'm also looking at the Razr HD. I weeded out the option for the HD Maxx because of the $100 premium battery for a phone that's similar in all aspects except that. But I have noticed I've taken a lot of photos lately with my phone, and read that the Razr line doesn't have good camera results; dull colors and low-light issues.

I'm trying to stick with Verizon cause I have a plan with my girlfriend, and I find it a hassle to jump ship to another carrier. Any advice from the crowd? Stick with Android, get the Razr HD or DNA, or try another mobile OS... I've been debating this since summer. Had an iPhone 3, loved it at the time. Looking at WP8, seems interesting... Much appreciated!

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm also a current Thunderbolt owner and frankly I'm very disappointed to see that HTC will most likely NOT update the Thunderbolt to Jelly Bean, let alone ICS.

I have the same issue with my X2, stuck on GB.

Besides that, I'm also looking at the Razr HD.

Like I said, same issue with my Moto X2, if updates are a concern, might wanna steer clear, or, at least look into how many updates Moto phones typically get.

It really depends on the type of user you are. Really into phones, customization, techy, Android. Don't know much about phones or tech, iPhone. I have yet to mess with a Windows 8 phone enough to make a statement on that one. Although it does seem interesting and I would love to have a mobile device that plays really nicely with my PC.

Bobman

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
If you want guaranteed updates with some or all of the next version of the OS, get a Nexus or an iPhone. But personally, I wouldn't worry about that. Find a good phone and it will always be as good as the day you buy it. I'm looking at getting the Galaxy Note II when it is released on Verizon next week, but if the DNA is too big for you then the Note II definitely will be.

lescarpio

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue with my X2, stuck on GB.

Like I said, same issue with my Moto X2, if updates are a concern, might wanna steer clear, or, at least look into how many updates Moto phones typically get.

It really depends on the type of user you are. Really into phones, customization, techy, Android. Don't know much about phones or tech, iPhone. I have yet to mess with a Windows 8 phone enough to make a statement on that one. Although it does seem interesting and I would love to have a mobile device that plays really nicely with my PC.

There's one concern I have about WP8, is if you NEED W8 OS on your computer. I just started getting used to Windows 7 and I love it. I really don't want to switch to Windows 8... I personally don't find it to be an "upgrade."

But back to Android, I'm not too worried about upgrades much after thinking about it now. It's just I've had a taste of JB and have a distaste for GB now. But I guess that's what phone companies are steering towards: every year or two years they just release a more up-to-date phone with the latest tech specs.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Razr Maxx owner here (the original, not HD). Love this phone. The battery is just killer--you may think that you don't really need it, but trust me, once you've experienced the pleasure of playing games, watching videos, making calls and texts, and forgetting to charge it up at the end of the day only to realize that it still has 50% battery the following morning, you'll never want to go back to a smaller battery. I think Motorola makes solid phones, and most people feel that Motorola's cell radios are the best (which I agree with, since the voice quality and reception on my Razr Maxx is noticeably better than my old HTC Droid Incredible).

The camera is underrated. Check out this thread I started:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/droid-razr-maxx/194756-pics-taken-maxx.html

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
There's one concern I have about WP8, is if you NEED W8 OS on your computer. I just started getting used to Windows 7 and I love it. I really don't want to switch to Windows 8... I personally don't find it to be an "upgrade."

But back to Android, I'm not too worried about upgrades much after thinking about it now. It's just I've had a taste of JB and have a distaste for GB now. But I guess that's what phone companies are steering towards: every year or two years they just release a more up-to-date phone with the latest tech specs.

You do? It doesn't play nicely with Windows 7? I do love Windows 7, but, have yet to use Windows 8.

Yea, JB is great. I have GB on my X2, and, I hate it. Thankfully I can make it feel like I have ICS VIA a launcher, but, it's not the same thing. Yea, but, they should still support there phones for a two year cycle, since that is the upgrade time frame.