Hidden files won't show on s4 won't show on pc no matter what I do

anon(7887939)

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I can't view hidden files even after making them visible via the control panel on my S4
I am trying to find an app I installed called Manga search on my htc one s it saved as .searchmanga and It would show on my laptop when "showed hidden files" was checked but with the S4 the hidden file won't show on my laptop no matter what and I need to access it to add data into it. What do I do and thank you

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How are you accessing your S4 from your laptop--are you connecting via USB cable? If so, do you know if the S4 is connecting as USB Mass Storage or as MTP? Some phones (like the Nexus 4) no longer allow for USB Mass Storage connection (which would allow the phone to be accessed like another drive, and hence allow you to see all folders). The other way to access files, MTP, doesn't give you access to all folders when connected via USB. So if your .searchmanga file is in some folder that MTP can't access, you won't be able to see it on your laptop.

You might have more success using a wifi or Bluetooth connection. Try Airdroid.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't think so. This was my explanation in another thread:

I believe the problem is that on the Nexus 4, only MTP and PTP transfer protocols are available when connected via USB, not USB mass storage. What this means is that when plugged in via USB, the Nexus 4 will not behave like an external drive. MTP protocol was initially developed for media players, so it allows access to only certain areas of storage (i.e., the media parts). I can't remember completely, but I think the reason why they got rid of USB mass storage mode was that it required more rigid partitioning of the phone's memory (i.e., into Application Storage and Internal Storage) that would therefore limit how many apps you could install on a device. For example, my Razr Maxx's 16 GB of internal memory is partitioned into 3 GB of Application Storage (where I can install apps) and 8 GB of Internal Storage (the other 5 GB is taken up by the OS and bloatware). By eliminating USB mass storage mode, you can use all of the Nexus 4's available internal storage to install apps.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I can't view hidden files even after making them visible via the control panel on my S4
I am trying to find an app I installed called Manga search on my htc one s it saved as .searchmanga and It would show on my laptop when "showed hidden files" was checked but with the S4 the hidden file won't show on my laptop no matter what and I need to access it to add data into it. What do I do and thank you

Welcome to the forums!
Making hidden files shown is only for the S4, meaning only the S4 can show you those hidden files. I am not even sure rooting will allow what you would like. I am rooted on my S3, and I can't see the hidden files on my PC.

parannah

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
so way late, but I have a verizon s4 non-rooted, and I use ES file explorer. I have songs from the new Amazon Music that were free from PRIME (they are free with prime, but you can only play them through their app, and when you download them for external it doesn't show up usually) that I wanted to copy, as I had them in offline, but can only play them through the Amazon Music app. I went into ES, selected to have the hidden files be viewed, grabbed my amazonmp3 folder and the amazon folder, copied and pasted through my network on my computer. when I connected using my USB cable, it would not work, but for some reason or another it worked just fine with transferring through the ethernet. This trick also works for transferring to your external sd card, since you can't save to the sd card by default. free music! sorry it's so late!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer