Android Lollipop nightmares.

Muckypup

May 17, 2015
Visit site
I have 2 Samsung Galaxy S4s, I was so impressed with the S3 that I bought an S4 for my self and another for a friend. What a waste of money.Since the much anticipated Lollipop upgrade apps and phone reliability have gone down hill fast. I'm not going to root them, which seems to be the only solution to the multitude of failures such as-: Invalid sim, or no sim messages when there's a perfectly good sim card inserted. My carrier, EE, gave me a replacement sim which worked for about 5 minutes. Sim removed Restart messages once or twice a day. The screen freezes several times a day and needs to be restarted. My Nexus 7 also freezes even more frequently and has to be restarted too which is why I'm sure this is an Android fault.
One of the Galaxy S4's will only work with a 3G sim. The frustration never stops as I switch from one device to another. Photographs are regularly backed up on Google+ and duplicated. None of these problems occurred prior to Lillipop.
As far as Samsung is concerned when I had the notification to update to Lollipop it failed on the phone and I was advised to use Kies - my phone was bricked. Fortunately it was under warranty. I assumed that the upgrade offer was still valid.....Wrong. After a couple of months the upgrade offer came back & the phone upgraded over WiFi, and that's when the other problems started.
This is all completely unacceptable in any shape or form.
I'm about to jump ship to Windows Phone as I'm one of those people who hates Apple in every shape and form.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forums at Android Central!

All phones eventually update themselves when their update is released.
That's the way they're programed.
Hopefully you did a factory reset and all is well now.
Before the factory reset, make sure you save all important info.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm on EE & my phone is on 5.0.1 lollipop & I've had no problems like that. I do get lag on the keyboard sometimes & get a message come up saying unfortunately Samsung keyboard has stopped. After a little while it works again.

Posted via Android Central App

Muckypup

May 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm unable to back up all of my data - other things that don't work are NFC, S Beam and Nearby devices - I switched all seamlessly from my Galaxy S3. I've used Smart Switch but that doesn't cover everything. If I'm going to lose data I might as well wait for the Lumia 950 and dump both Android and Samsung & go to Windows Phone on Win 10 where they will be compatible with my laptop and desktop. I anticipate that both the hardware and software will be more stable and reliable there. I've had it up to the back teeth with faulty phones and dodgy software. Lollipop was given such an enormous build up that I feel cheated and conned. I don't download music or use social media nor do I play games online, for all of windows historical minor faults I've used Microsoft PCs since the days of DOS. Thanks for your suggestions and help.

Muckypup

May 17, 2015
Visit site
If my fault was that minor I wouldn't be posting on here. I've got 2 S4s on lollipop, neither of them are without faults, one is as above; the other one gives 'invalid sim card' messages when I try to use it on EE. It isn't locked to any network and never has been, it works with 3G sim on the O2 and Three networks although with intermittent 'sim removed - restart' messages, there are quite a lot of S4s out there with this fault as I've been on other forums. I've ordered a replacement sim and SD card holder which I'll fit as soon as it arrives, for some reason I have little faith. Then I'll sell the pair of them along with the Nexus 7 which also freezes on a regular basis and is of poor build quality. I've reached tipping point with Android and Samsung and I will have nothing to do with Apple, so it's Windows Phone and Lumia 950 for me. Thanks for taking an interest, this post was my last attempt.