Hello. A newbie to Android

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi!

Welcome to the forums! Having switched to Android about two years ago (from a BlackBerry Q10 that I loved, as well!), I understand what you're going through! There is a bit of a learning curve, but in a few days or weeks, you'll have things down pat! I know some others have helped you with answering your questions; but I'll see what I can do, as well.

1.The stock app clock/weather widget--I can't seem to switch the time to not have a heavy shadow in the background---is this at all customizable? Is there a clock/weather widget that is better?

Not sure about this as I do not have this specific device, but Google Play has clock apps that have widget options.

2. Did anyone try out the physical keyboard case? Did you like it for the note 5? I've been looking at them but can't justify the cost. I seem to be adjusting to the touch screen well with the note 5, but I do type much faster with a phyiscal keyboard (emails).

You know, after two years, I still think I am better with a physical keyboard than a virtual one! My advice to you is to watch a lot of YouTube reviews of this case and to also try and find written ones, just to get a good overall sense of what other users have experienced while using that keyboard case.

3. Are there any 'must haves' for this phone? I don't do much by way of games or music (ok, card games and my sad pathetic collection of 10 fav songs on my phone), more functional apps for clock/weather, and a good alarm that allows me to hit snooze more than 3 times

Zedge is the best app ever for wallpapers, ringtones, and notification sounds! Not necessarily "utility" per se; but definitely significant. ;) It's free on Google Play!

4. Do any of you have cases you can recommend? I have been looking at the flip cases and ordered a few cases off amazon and ebay. I"m a girl and like to accessorize my phone, so having multiple cases is my worst issue I do work outdoors/with horses and I've got an Incipio case and ordered a rugged armor from amazon---but I also like more...girlie cases (Katespadecoughcough)

Haha, I am also like you - I have quite a few cases for my phones! Caseology is a really great website - check them out. They're in the States so I had to wait a bit for shipping (I'm in Canada); but my Caseology case for my LG G3 was well worth the wait - I'd recommend this website/company to anyone. Check it out!

5. Anything else I should know?

Give yourself time and patience to adjust. Google can be a bit overwhelming because there's *SO MUCH* customization available; and though BB 10 had great customization options, Android brings in more apps, widgets, etc. into the game; making things kind of overwhelming at first. Try to remember what apps you used from your BlackBerry and try to find the equivalent on Google Play. If the exact same app isn't there, don't worry - you'll find the closest thing.

Oh, if you still use BBM, it is cross-platform now (except for WP? :( Or is it up and running for them now, as well?); so you can download that on your Android device, as well. I think you'll need a new BB PIN, etc. to do it, though; as BB's have their own specific PIN numbers.

Let us know if you have any more questions! :)

darkhorse321

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Morty!! It turns out the clock native to this phone is no longer shadowed after the marshmallow update. I'm still debating on the keyboard case but I am getting used to this touch screen. The note 5 is huge so it helps. I'm in Canada too! I feel your pain with deliveries. I did get a case from caseolgy too. Thanks so much for answering my questions. I'm really happy with this phone.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Morty!! It turns out the clock native to this phone is no longer shadowed after the marshmallow update. I'm still debating on the keyboard case but I am getting used to this touch screen. The note 5 is huge so it helps. I'm in Canada too! I feel your pain with deliveries. I did get a case from caseolgy too. Thanks so much for answering my questions. I'm really happy with this phone.

No problem! Glad you are loving your device! Isn't Caseology awesome?! What does your case look like? Mine is light pink! Haha yeah, I get so antsy waiting for deliveries!

And yeah, going from a Q10 to a BIG touchscreen is an adjustment for sure; but so glad you are liking it! The Note series is great and I feel like if I had to go Samsung, I'd get one of those.

Posted via the Android Central App

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello there!
I've been a newbie to the android system for almost 2 weeks now. I've sadly switched from my lovely Q10 blackberry to the Note 5. I am very happy with the switch--I loved my blackberry, but sadly, the phone was not staying with the times and it was a very researched decision to switch.

I'm a bit lost still with so much to learn with Android vs Blackberry.
I do have a few questions:
1.The stock app clock/weather widget--I can't seem to switch the time to not have a heavy shadow in the background---is this at all customizable? Is there a clock/weather widget that is better?
2. Did anyone try out the physical keyboard case? Did you like it for the note 5? I've been looking at them but can't justify the cost. I seem to be adjusting to the touch screen well with the note 5, but I do type much faster with a phyiscal keyboard (emails).
3. Are there any 'must haves' for this phone? I don't do much by way of games or music (ok, card games and my sad pathetic collection of 10 fav songs on my phone), more functional apps for clock/weather, and a good alarm that allows me to hit snooze more than 3 times ;)
4. Do any of you have cases you can recommend? I have been looking at the flip cases and ordered a few cases off amazon and ebay. I"m a girl and like to accessorize my phone, so having multiple cases is my worst issue ;) I do work outdoors/with horses and I've got an Incipio case and ordered a rugged armor from amazon---but I also like more...girlie cases ;) (Katespadecoughcough)
5. Anything else I should know?

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to Android Central!

darkhorse321

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the warm welcome. Turns out the clock app native to the phone changed after the marshmallow update. Many functions improved which was nice (minor app functions that is) very pleased with this phone. Just getting used to the size still and irked that many stores in my area have limited cases available for the note 5. I've ordered some from the Web, so will have to be patient. 🦄😉

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87