- 06-18-2010, 12:17 PM #2
- 06-18-2010, 12:22 PM #3
- 06-18-2010, 12:25 PM #4
- 06-18-2010, 12:26 PM #5
- 06-18-2010, 12:27 PM #6
- 06-18-2010, 12:27 PM #7
- 06-18-2010, 12:27 PM #8
- 52 Posts
I'm a Bberry Tour to EVO convert...I also own a 32GB iPad.
Here's my take. If you love techie stuff, you'll do what you must to GET the techie stuff. Your long list of things you were beginning to hate sound like my first list of things I hated about Bberry when I first switched over from Palm.
It's just a diff OS. As said above, there are several ways to "cure" the ills you mentioned. As for size...dude really? lay your EVO ontop of any iPhone. If that small amount of space kills you, then I imagine the weight of a pencil must break your wrist - LOL just kidding...for the EVO to only be slightly (measure it) bigger than an iPhone yet have that % dedicated to screen space...not sure why the mental process makes folk believe it's huge.
Sounds like you may either be a closet Apple, or have new iPhone envy - which does basically the same thing s the EVO, but on a smaller screen & "Big Brother" militants making sure you understand who's boss (Steve Jobs).
Being a techie myself...I got what I needed to do what I wanted...thus the EVO / iPad combo pack.
Let the games begin...The EVO | The iPad | Alienware Desktop Systems - "The Unholy Three of technology" | ... "I'm a baaaad man..." - Samuel L. Jackson
- 06-18-2010, 12:43 PM #9
P.S. You should see my edits.
Last edited by forumsid987; 06-18-2010 at 12:52 PM.
- 06-18-2010, 12:58 PM #11
- 06-18-2010, 01:03 PM #13
1) quality sucks compared to what? The photos i have taken are absolutely amazing! go check out the Photo thread on this forum.
2)if you are using a task manager with a Unix OS you are NOT a techy sorry, a technical person knows how memory works. you are a gadget person...
3) Good thing about Android is you have options, if for whatever reason on the iphone you start to not like it, good luck
4) Cant really help you with this.
5) Size is a huge plus, have you ever tried to browse on an iphone, i have, its ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE
6) wifi is spotty but that is hit or miss, (grounding issue) who uses a phone while its on a table, pick the damn thing up and LOVE it
7) I have experienced this as well, not sure of a fix for it.
8) i get 16hrs a day easy, no complaints here
9) increase your phone timeout to > 1 min and when you are done doing what you need to do just sleep the phone with the power button that way it doesnt timeout on you.
10) If any phone is lost and you have personal/confidential information you are f'd not sure why bb or iphone would be different.
11) they are not utilizing any resources just memory not cpu cycles are being wasted on them trust me.
12) Google cloud, everything i have is backed up, contacts/calendar/text messages/voicmails. Try and do that on any other phone that isnt android....goodluck
13)copy and paste work perfect in EVERY app. just long press them and copy, not sure why that is so hard???
14)ill admit i think it is garbage too, i have swype as well, you dont like the apple keyboard for any reason???? trying changing it.... i dare you... nope cant do it unless jailbroken.
- 06-18-2010, 01:06 PM #14
I came from ATT, I had a Blackberry Bold 9000 for Business, and I had an Iphone 3GS. In fact I still have both of them phones I havent sold them yet.
If you look at my former posts you will see my detailed post of both why I was leaving ATT to get the EVO, then you will also see a detailed post later on why I left my EVO after owning it for about 2 weeks.
I personally love Sprint over ATT for several reasons...firstly I am saving 40 bucks a month, secondly they give me GPS and TV for free, ATT charges extra 20 a month for both these features...so I would be saving 60 bucks monthly IF I had used them on ATT...but I didnt.
I am also a techie and love all the new gadgets. I can tell you 100 percent I would recommend you to the Iphone 4. I used the on screen keyboard and I am 100 percent efficient. Yet I hated the Android Keyboards. Everything is so smooth on the 3GS while Android often lagged. Even my Iphone camera at times appeared to be better then the EVOs and yes I had the correct settings on the EVO.
Anyways, I would not go back to ATT because they charge an arm and leg and have unreliable service. But if an Iphone hits Sprint or even Verizon(expensive but reliable) I would jump in a second. I may even try WebOS when they release a new device.
Hope that helps ya. Any further questions feel free to ask me.
3) I can't seem to find any good music management apps, doubletwist seems okay but still not up to snuff.
5) I totally agree, size is nice for lots of reasons but it's turned into a pain when I put this phone in my pocket
6) Who uses a phone on a table? Is that a joke? Also, when i'm in my car I have it sitting in a mount...should I not be able to use it while it's on the mount? You are starting to sound like a fanboy at this point.
8) Good for you...I don't and most people dont
9) I don't understand what you're saying here. Are you saying I can use the power button to turn the screen off and have a timeout for the password? Pleaseee tell me how to do this!!!
10) BB and iphone encypt data (on BB you just have to turn it on, iphone is automatic). Android is a big NO on that front.
11) Trust me when i'm browsing the internet and i have 40 mb free vs browsing the internet with 200 mb free it's a big difference.
12) I have everything backed up with google that you list except text messages, but that's not everything. App data, custom settings, etc. I need a rooted phone to do all that and it's still far from seamless.
13) COPY AND PASTE DOES NOT WORK IN GMAIL. TRY IT! Try it on an email someone sent you. COPY AND PASTE DOES NOT WORK IN SMS, TRY IT ON A TEXT SOMEONE SENT YOU.
At this point...I've lost all respect for you.
14) I hear the iphone keyboard is the best but you make a good point.
P.S. You should see 15-17
- 06-18-2010, 01:14 PM #16
I have no loyalty to any phone or carrier, I will go where the best phone is regardless. Comming from my 3GS I can say 100 percent if you think browsing on the Iphone is TERRIBLE, you clearly have no idea how to use the device. In fact Android is really trying to be the Iphone, it offers a similiar expierence just doesnt do it nearly as well.
I am no fanboy so enjoy your EVO and Ill enjoy my Sprint BB for now, and when the Iphone comes to a real carrier I will be all over it.
- 06-18-2010, 01:22 PM #19
No problem glad to help! You will always find fanboys who defend a certain product or company regardless I dont understand it. Iphone had things I didnt like, I wouldnt defend them on forums and accuse people of now knowing what they are doing. I would say hey I dont like that either I hope Apple fixes that.
But to me it came down to Sprints price vs ATTs price and what they offer for that price. But if price was the same across the board...Id be getting an Iphone 4, and trust me I wanted the EVO to be better then my 3GS, it just wasnt.
And as far as the battery concern. Yeah I got about 4.5 hours or use a day before having to recharge, it was awful. Iphone was much better battery then this. Also a friend got the EVO and said she charges it 3 times a day!
I personally did LOVE the big screen tho. It was big and beautiful, much nicer then the Iphones. I would love to see Apple do a 5 inch touchscreen in the future with a nice high resolution, preferably on Sprint and 4g?
- 06-18-2010, 01:45 PM #20
- 33 Posts
Hit menu-settings-security to set an unlock pattern for opening the phone.
PS I agree with Holsum on the Iphone browsing experiance it is not good.
- 06-18-2010, 01:46 PM #21
8) turn off all syncing (why do people need updated information when they arent using their phone, you want updated news wait the 2 secs for it to update when you do it manually) manually adjust screen brightness to a tiny sliver, and when you charge it once its fully green turn the phone off and let it completely charge to green that way (its a bug but adds about 4 hours).
9) Settings > sound & display > screen time > 2 minutes
Then the password wont come on until the screen times out after 2 mins. if you are done using your phone before 2 mins just hit the power button and it will go to sleep as to not waste the 2 mins.
10) what do you mean encrypt data? encrypt it how? if you dont have a screen lock all your information is available? still not sure what you mean can you explain it?
11) ummm, once the browser is loaded any slowness is network related which has NOTHING to do with the phone, but the wifi/network.
12) you dont have to root for custom settings (apps on the market) and the iphone doesnt back settings up, apps thats a different story, apple is great with that.
13) ahhh young grasshopper. I use handcent sms and you can copy and paste (looks just like the iphone which is great loved the look.) if you use HTC email (with your gmail account) it does copy paste and it looks a little nicer if you ask me, so there are ways around it.
14)its really small, it lags as well though sometimes. i hate iphone text app for a couple of reasons. No bulk erase, you have to delete texts 1 by 1 (HORRIBLE). no custom text apps apple doesnt allow it unless jailbroken. no timestamps on texts only if you havent recieved one within the hour (com'on seriously). i recieve about 300 texts a day from my servers and i have to delete them 1 by 1, f'that.
15) i only turn on shoot me for screen shots then turn it off. All you have to do is shake it a bit you never have to make it go landscape. i havent had that issue yet so i cant say, but from what you have mentioned that could be annoying.
17) gallery is A LOT better then what the iphone has. Plus my iphone gallary lagged like hell because i had 1500 pics in it.
ALL in all, i am not an android fanboy. I LOVE the IPHONE, the only problem is i hate that Apple has so many restrictions on it, its my phone let me do what i want. they are getting a bit better and I would recommend the iphone to anyone that knows nothing about phones and all they do is text/call/browse here or there but someone that wants all the goodies and wants to have freedom to do what they want with their phone, thats what the evo/android is for.
I was with apple/att during the whole no copy/paste PERIOD, no MMS, and no tethering, no backgrounding, or backgrounds (hahaha seriously no custom backgrounds) periods. to me that just pisses me off. 10 year old technology because your network or phone cant handle it with battery or you want to tell me what i can and cant do?!?! plus AT&T is the absolute WORST network every. Dropped calls daily if not every other day, and texts hours/days late all the time.
I think your suggestion for battery life is silly.
The locking option you suggested seems to work well, but I don't like that my screen will be on for 10 minutes if I forget to push the power button. What there really needs to be are two timeout timers, like the blackberry. One for password, one for screen itself. Is there an app for this?
As far as encrypt data, I mean...if you take an android with the lock screen up and plug it into a usb and get at all of someones data if you know what you're doing. The blackberry file system is encrypted with your lock password though, same goes for iphone...although iphone OS 3 leaves some data outside of that realm, the majority (emails, etc are within it). Think of it like bitlocker.
I actually agree with everything you said in your last two paragraphs . Between that, this thread, and my confidence in android I think I'm going to duke it out through at least froyo and maybe another update. I think my real solution to my problems is going to be getting a real point and shoot camera and having to deal with lugging that around though. I'm also going to just hope that I can find, or someone here can recommend, an amazing music app that syncs ratings and lets me do a genius-esque playlist generation function on the fly.
There really is a lot I like (and hate) about this phone, I am not ready to give it up for crappy service.
Last edited by forumsid987; 06-18-2010 at 02:50 PM.
- 06-18-2010, 03:09 PM #23
I have had the EVO since June 4th... coming from and iPhone 3GS... and I'm going back to AT&T for the iPhone 4.
I loved the EVO but it does everything at 80%... if you have used and iPhone before you know you are getting a quality product, period and no other phone in the planet can compete with that... example: Video Calls facetime is way better than QIK of Fring (facetime is only iPhone to iPhone but i'm it will be about 2 months for skype to take avantage of this and make it iPhone to PC and at a better quality).
and something else is the App Store... Android is just not there yet... a lot of people only take in consideration the amount of apps avaliable and now the quality of those... the App Store has both... More Apps and way better QUALITY.
about the price I will take at&t 450min plan + 2gbdatapro + 200sms- 15% employee disccount that's about 75 dollars (tax included)... i'm on wifi 80% of the day and my EVO can't even deliver that for me... (I have a BB Bold for Sprint on a family plan and I pay 60 dollars for that line, I will use that for phone calls and the iphone for DATA and Games) I pay 70 for my EVO and 60 for the BB = 130 month... with the iphone it will be iPhone 75 + BB 60 = 135... 5 more bucks for the quality of the device its worth it.
- 06-18-2010, 03:37 PM #24
Android just cant compare to Iphone, people saying the browsing on the Iphone sucks are hillarious. Its more responsive to the touch then the EVO was, yeah the EVO had a much nicer screen I give it that, I liked the biggness of it, but scrolling web pages and all is easier on the 3GS and saying it sucks is well, FUNNY!
Anyways, ATT is not getting my service again, they are too expensive, I was paying for 2 lines on there 100 bucks(Paid 160 total for 3 lines, only two were mine) I am happy just having one line but I want that Iphone 4 now! I will likely just wait it out with my Blackberry tho.
- 06-18-2010, 03:42 PM #25