Steve Jobs Says Iphone Isn't Only One Suffering -> Video Tries To Prove That

SilverZero

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. I wonder if that iPhone has been patched to report bars correctly. Also, I think the lesson here is that phone manufacturers need to develop a phone that can actually use the user's body as an external antenna.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I found two things funny about those videos. One, look at how hard that guy was holding the Eris. His thumb was literally turning red. Also I found it really funny how they purposely changed the icons on the screen and removed the big clock widget to make it look ugly lol

blupit30

May 21, 2010
Visit site
The thing that I find funny is papa jobs would rather out source the blame and shift focus to others, than actually admit the holy grail is flawed and not really the holy grail at all. I'm gonna die when they have to recall all the units they sold. I cant believe the fix for it is "just don't hold it that way"! Are you f'n serious? If this was a flaw of evo, we would have ben bashed off the market. So I love you sweet justice! And I luv you evo.

joek1971

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I did same test but not with so many phones, used what i had, 1 Blackberry 9650 and 1 EVO and niether dropped any bars.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
What I found funny about the press conference video was how each phone was tested with appeared to be full bars, and later, Steve clarified how this test was done in a low recpetion area. Really? Is that why the all had full bars? Because they were in a low reception area?

I had an arguement with some dumb blonde chick that works at AT&T and is a total Apple drone, not just an iphone drone. She was going on and on how Steve made it all right, and after all, "it's apple, they are the best, no matter what". I mentioned what I just said about all the test phones having full bars in a low reception area and she had nothing to say to that. Then she was ripping Sprint, how they are losing money and going down the tubes and how they are the last place carrier....

If that would have been a guy, I would have *****slapped him a couple of times....I was so pissed by all that blind Apple love/stupidity.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
What I found funny about the press conference video was how each phone was tested with appeared to be full bars, and later, Steve clarified how this test was done in a low recpetion area. Really? Is that why the all had full bars? Because they were in a low reception area?

I had an arguement with some dumb blonde chick that works at AT&T and is a total Apple drone, not just an iphone drone. She was going on and on how Steve made it all right, and after all, "it's apple, they are the best, no matter what". I mentioned what I just said about all the test phones having full bars in a low reception area and she had nothing to say to that. Then she was ripping Sprint, how they are losing money and going down the tubes and how they are the last place carrier....

If that would have been a guy, I would have *****slapped him a couple of times....I was so pissed by all that blind Apple love/stupidity.

Well, if it was tested on Apple's campus, then it had full signal. Apple has both Verizon and AT&T cell-sites in-house, and they only used Verizon and AT&T phones. The low-signal statement was in response to a reporter claiming he couldn't replicate the issue during the Q+A. (and he said he had a bold, so he might have had t-mobile, who knows?)

dcross9818

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Good point that it was on Apple's campus. They probably had some guy back stage, "When I touch the phone here, you throw that level to make the signal drop." Genius

---dcross9818

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Good point that it was on Apple's campus. They probably had some guy back stage, "When I touch the phone here, you throw that level to make the signal drop." Genius

---dcross9818

LOL. Well, anecdotally, I tested this on my dad's Blackberry 8900 and it did it. I personally don't think it was a good way of saying, 'we're not the only ones that have this problem', since they could have done it without bringing competitors into it. Signal strength also plays a role; I can get mine to drop at my house, but at work (with a tower 100 ft away) I couldn't get it to drop if I death-gripped it with both hands.

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
I love technobuffalo, the guy is usually fair and non fanboyish and he is an iphone user which is surprising. That video was great and highlighted how crappy apple antenna designs really are. With that said, the better indicaton of true signal quality is a decibel test showing the actual degradation in numbers. The iphone 4 was said to have a 19-20 decibel drop which was more than every other phone tested. And these numbers were obtained from 2 different sources. I'm curious to know how the 3gs and samsung vibrant will do on that test.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I love technobuffalo, the guy is usually fair and non fanboyish and he is an iphone user which is surprising. That video was great and highlighted how crappy apple antenna designs really are. With that said, the better indicaton of true signal quality is a decibel test showing the actual degradation in numbers. The iphone 4 was said to have a 19-20 decibel drop which was more than every other phone tested. And these numbers were obtained from 2 different sources. I'm curious to know how the 3gs and samsung vibrant will do on that test.

Signal bars are tied to decibel levels. They are literally the visual representation of the decibel reading. AT&T's handset makers all use the same formula (which apple just updated to use), so the drop in bars between the iP4 and the 9700 would be exactly the same.

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Signal bars are tied to decibel levels. They are literally the visual representation of the decibel reading. AT&T's handset makers all use the same formula (which apple just updated to use), so the drop in bars between the iP4 and the 9700 would be exactly the same.

Uh, I'd trust a decibel reading before I'd trust the bars on a phone. I couldn't care less what formula they use, let me see the actual numbers. However the point still stands, the 19-20 decibel loss was the worst they encountered according to both sources.

JayCudi

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
It's quite pathetic for Steve Jobs to attack other companies when his real focus should've been on ways to handle the iPhone 4 crisis.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
It's quite pathetic for Steve Jobs to attack other companies when his real focus should've been on ways to handle the iPhone 4 crisis.

He was. They tested other phones alongside the iPhone 4 to see if they exhibited similar problems, and then decided to use the results in their PR campaign. (all manufacturers test other's phones, most of them just won't admit it) If the problem was completely unique to the iPhone, their response would have been different. (and I wager quite a bit more comprehensive) Since they found that it happened with other phones (though its effects on usability are still a contentious part of the debate) that shaped their response and how they're addressing it going forward.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress