Sorry iOS , I'm switching to Android

Fishfam4

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys! I'm Fishfam, and you may have seen me around recently. Probably not, but whatever. I'll just jump right into this essay-length post. I've decided, that after several years of Apple fanboyism, I'm going to switch to Android.

Now, let me explain my tech backstory.

For as long as I can remember (I'm 14, so not that long ago) someone in my family family has had some sort of Apple product, whether that be iPods, or MacBooks or iPhones. So, when it came time for me to get my first personal electronic device, back in 2011, I naturally chose the 4th-gen iPod touch. I had so much fun with that thing, but then in December of 2012, I received a third generation iPad (outdated several months before I got it) and an iPhone 4. That was the happiest day I think I've ever had. (This is when you start to wonder what the heck this has to do with the title, but never fear, this is necessary) Now, at the time, I was also a bit (OK a lot) of a fanboy, and this only kicked that up a notch.)

Now, fast forward to January of this year. Not much had really changed regarding my view on Apple. Then I discovered the Galaxy Note lineup of devices. I didn't want to admit it at the time, but I thought "Wow, these really ARE better than iOS". I also started to realize how much I hated a 3.5" screen, and iOS 7+ iPhone 4 =/= smooth user experience, BTW. So, I went to Best Buy and tried the Note 3 out, which pretty much confirmed that I'm getting the Note 4 in December. Then, another thing happened. The Galaxy Tab/NotePRO lineup was released. I've wanted the NotePRO 12.2 ever since, and I'm going to try selling my iPad to attempt to get it. I've also recently started learning various programming languages (currently learning Java, HTML and CSS, and I'm going to learn C++, Python, JavaScript etc.) so the ability to actually code for a mobile OS without buying an (IMO) overpriced Mac is awesome.

Ok, that's enough backstory. Here are my reasons for switching to Android:
  • Customizability. Just changing backgrounds and app orientation isn't good enough for me.
  • Open Source. If I'm going to build apps, I want to be able to use any computer I want, not a specialized one.
  • Features. Features such as widgets (in how I feel is the right way), larger screens, custom launchers/keyboards/ROMs and removable batteries are going to really help improve my smartphone and tablet experience.
  • Fragmentation. While this may be considered a "toxic hellstew" (yes, I watched WWDC) by some people, this should really just be called "free will" or "excessive amounts of choices" instead of "fragmentation" (BTW, I actually prefer TouchWiz to stock Android). Even if my phone doesn't get the newest software, I have the choice to slap on a new launcher, theme and/or keyboard and call it a "software update".
  • Standard Connectors. This is technically a feature, but it deserves a bullet point of its own. By using microUSB, I can almost guarantee that excluding iOS, I'll be able to use my current cords (assuming the don't die) with pretty much any other phone, casual camera, hard drive, computer, flash drive or portable battery. This is amazing, and I can't believe Apple hasn't changed their charger standard yet. (Well, that last bit's a lie, Apple is stubborn in some regards)

I figure that I might as well give my opinions on all mobile platforms for a negligible reason that may or may not actually add to the value of this post.

iOS:
iOS is still what I'd recommend for anyone who wants (or in the case of old people/kids, needs *deliberately blunt ageism*) a simple user experience. The design, while basically being a grid, is minimalistic, secure, easy-to-use and beautiful. This is sufficient for many people, I just happen to not be in that group.

Android:
Android is a great OS, but it can be complicated for some non-tech-savvy users (like my grandparents who bought them over iPhone two years ago because of their customizability, yet don't know that alternate keyboards, launchers and ROMs are possible until I, the person who's never owned an Android, told them about them). I'd recommend it to anyone who wants something more than iOS, and/or someone with a more artistic flair and a need for customizability. Or, you know, a need for a cheap (price, not necessarily quality) device.

Blackberry:
image.jpg

Windows Phone 8(.1):
I actually considered the Nokia Lumia 1520, but decided against the phone for its size and the OS for its relative lack of customizability and either slightly too small (4.5", I'm aware of the Samsung ATIV SE, didn't like the color) or slightly too big (6.0", slightly too big for my hands) screen sizes. 5.3" is my personal minimum, and 5.9" (HTC One Maxx) is really pushing it. Also, the app store is still not the most mature ecosystem, but it's definitely getting much better. Maybe next time I upgrade. I'd recommend this to someone tied into Microsoft's ecosystem, or someone wanting a very basic smartphone (Lumia 520/1).

Fire OS:
With the advent of the Fire Phone, which pretty much made Fire OS a complete ecosystem, I thought I should mention this. For the most part, what with subpar hardware and no Google Play access, I'd only recommend this to someone already tied to Amazon. That's it.

What do you think? Please comment on any of my points, and even try to persuade me into getting trying another ecosystem. Also, if I dissed any of your ecosystems, don't take it personally. These are my opinions, and I'm just giving my reasons for having them. There's also an identical companion post over at iMore if you want to follow the conversation there.

AC Exclusive Questions: why is Samsung so widely hated, Nexus devices so loved and Stock Android so adored? This makes no sense to me, frankly. I'd much rather have Touchwiz than stock, and the Nexus devices always seemed like devices for developers, not consumers. The same for Stock Android. If this could be answered, please do so.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
AC Exclusive Questions: why is Samsung so widely hated, Nexus devices so loved and Stock Android so adored?

Me personally, it's not that I don't like Samsung Inc., but what I dislike the most, is the fact that Samsung includes 'features' that while are pretty cool at first, most people will probably turn some, if not all, off. The downside to all that: It bloats the OS (understandable) but, what you would think they would do by default (raise the onboard storage) they arguably ignore. TW also seems to lag a little (not greatly, but it can be noticed on occasion).

That, and as if carriers themselves dragged their feet about updates enough as it is, they have to wait until Samsung releases the OS for their devices (a plus for the Nexus line).

Last edited:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I think Golfdriver answered your part about Stock vs Skinned. It isn't just the Nexus line that gets fast updates though. Moto has been great about their updates even though they have to deal with the carriers, and that's thanks to being near stock Android.

As for the Nexus/stock devices being for developers...maybe dev-friendly, but I wouldn't say it's targeted at them. Although you will probably find that it's tech savvy users (not counting devs) that are more likely to have one.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your thoughts! You make some good points. I agree with your bullet point reasons for switching to Android, and I also think the whole fragmentation argument is blown out of proportion. I would estimate that the time an average user holds onto a given phone is about 1.5-2 years (hence, the typical contract length), so by that time, the phone is obsolete anyway. Why bother trying to force the latest update onto it?

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Me personally, it's not that I don't like Samsung Inc., but what I dislike the most, is the fact that Samsung includes 'features' that while are pretty cool at first, most people will probably turn some, if not all, off. The downside to all that: It bloats the OS (understandable) but, what you would think they would do by default (raise the onboard storage) they arguably ignore. TW also seems to lag a little (not greatly, but it can be noticed on occasion).

That, and as if carriers themselves dragged their feet about updates enough as it is, they have to wait until Samsung releases the OS for their devices (a plus for the Nexus line).

I agree. Touchwiz adds unnecessary bulk/lag. However I disabled most of the bloatware and added nova launcher. I selected "faster than light" as my animation speeds and I now am quite satisfied... btw I'm a Note owner as well (1st android and I love it! )

Fishfam4

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site

See, I'd rather have too many features, some of which I will use (i.e. S Pen, Multi Window, Air Gestures) than to have too little and then having to download apps to accomplish what you could otherwise do natively on TouchWiz. I'll just hide/delete all the features I don't use (My Magazine/UX, S Health, other Miscellaneous S-apps) under Nova Launcher.

I think Golfdriver answered your part about Stock vs Skinned. It isn't just the Nexus line that gets fast updates though. Moto has been great about their updates even though they have to deal with the carriers, and that's thanks to being near stock Android.

As for the Nexus/stock devices being for developers...maybe dev-friendly, but I wouldn't say it's targeted at them. Although you will probably find that it's tech savvy users (not counting devs) that are more likely to have one.

On the topic of updates: how important is it you get the latest and greatest OS update? (Unless you're a developer and need to update your app, of course) Most likely, an app (which I know isn't a complete substitute for the real thing) will be released to simulate that feature, right? Unless it's something like a Heartbleed patch.

(P.S. Love your signature)

I agree. Touchwiz adds unnecessary bulk/lag. However I disabled most of the bloatware and added nova launcher. I selected "faster than light" as my animation speeds and I now am quite satisfied... btw I'm a Note owner as well (1st android and I love it! )

This is what I plan to do. Quick question, does downloading Nova disable S Pen features and Multi Window?

I just don't like TouchWiz or the overall feel and look of Samsung mobile devices.

To me, faux leather is the most attractive design on any mobile device, period. This new "perforated" look of the S5 and Tab S is horrid, though. But you know, to each his own. :)

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
On the topic of updates: how important is it you get the latest and greatest OS update? (Unless you're a developer and need to update your app, of course) Most likely, an app (which I know isn't a complete substitute for the real thing) will be released to simulate that feature, right? Unless it's something like a Heartbleed patch.

(P.S. Love your signature)
For big updates (Like ICS -> JB or JB -> KK) I can't stand waiting months on end for an update. Especially when Samsung has a skin, which basically takes away all the excitement of having a new look and feel on my phone. TouchWiz has been the same for years.
It's the main reason I rooted and ROMed my phone in the first place.

Some features do get apps that replace or at least try to give you an impression of what it will be like, but most of the major ones don't. There's no apps that can give you what Project Volta will give you when L releases. I don't recall there being an app that would let my entire lock screen be used for album art.

About TW vs Stock (Again) I can't think of any features that I miss that I no longer have on this current AOSP-based ROM. But since I am rooted, I could probably get an xposed module that can give me said features (Like the multi Window one).

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'll just hide/delete all the features I don't use (My Magazine/UX, S Health, other Miscellaneous S-apps)

Since all those are system apps, you won't be able to delete them. You can turn most of them off, but I cannot recall if they can even be disabled.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Since all those are system apps, you won't be able to delete them. You can turn most of them off, but I cannot recall if they can even be disabled.

I believe some can be disabled. But they will turn back on after a reboot.

kinjohny

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
You post some good points. I really agree with your bullet point to switching to Android, and I also think the whole fragmentation argument is blown out of proportion. I would estimate that the time an average user holds onto a given phone is about 1.5-2 years (hence, the typical contract length Why bother trying to force the latest update onto it?

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I've decided, that after several years of Apple fanboyism, I'm going to switch to Android.

It's good that you have an open mind. Just be sure that you don't turn into an Android fanboy. Every platform has its pros and cons.

You can find people who hate a variety of manufacturers, not just Samsung. I think some people need validation for their choice of mobile devices, and hating some devices and supporting others make them feel better. Samsung sells a lot of phones, so somebody must like them, right?

With respect to Nexus devices and stock Android, people like them because they get updates. Not all Android devices get timely updates. Some devices don't get updated at all. It can be a problem if a specific app you want needs a higher version of the Android OS to function.