Why isn't my SD card being detected?

A

AC Question

I bought a lenovo a536, i cannot transfer any files to my sd card..then my brother told that my sd card was not detected.. it still works on my old phone and can be detected in my laptop i tried to clean the pins still no go..i DL the SD insight app..it was detected by the app..my SD card is toshiba 8gb..please help

Thank you

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: SD card not detected

Welcome to Android Central! Did you use SD Insight on the Lenovo phone, and it detected the card? When you go to Settings>Storage​, does it show up there as well?

novita12

May 20, 2015
Visit site

hi..i use the sd insight and the card was detected, it shows up on the storage but the "unmount SD card" option is not highlighted..is there any other options that we can do in order to detect my sd card?thank you

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

That's unusual. In Settings>Storage, does it actually show you how much space is available on the SD?

novita12

May 20, 2015
Visit site

That's unusual. In Settings>Storage, does it actually show you how much space is available on the SD?

- yes..it also shows the total space of my sd card..then there is a pre installed file browser on my phone i can still view my old files..but the thing is, in order for me to transfer some files like games etc..i need to DL an app that allows me to transfer files right? when i tried that, the transfer to external storage is not applicable..

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I don't understand why the Unmount option is greyed out. Try ES File Explorer to see if you can move the files around.

novita12

May 20, 2015
Visit site

thank you for your support, i tried the ES file explorer i was able to transferred some of the files but the games i was not able to do so..i DL the app mgr III.. as i open it..it prompted a message that my cellphone does not have a real external storage. or the external storage is emulated . i have only basic games like candy crush, shadow fight etc..is there anything that we can do..

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

If you're trying to move apps to the external SD card, either the phone has to have that function natively, or you have to be rooted (in order to use apps like App Mgr III). You can tell if the phone has the ability to move apps to SD by going to Settings>Apps, selecting an app, and seeing if there is a Move to SD button. If there isn't, then the phone doesn't support that function (unless you root it). Even if it does have that function, you'd only be moving a small portion of the app.

novita12

May 20, 2015
Visit site

thank you very much for your help..last thing..how to root my lenovo a536?will it be ok to root my phone even if its on postpaid plan?