Questions: Jelly vs Kat & SD card limits

kobolila

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Greetings one and all.

Spoiled by the near virgin Android experience of my Moto X I bought the Nexus 7 2013 for a tablet. But now I am done with it. It is bad enough that the screen response issues are irritating to work with, Google's habit of surprising me by futzing with things I wish they would leave alone is annoying as all hell.

Now I am moving on to the LG 8.3. Like the Nexus it will of course come with Jelly Bean; which not only am I perfectly fine with, after playing with Kit Kat I kinda prefer it (but then again I still grumble about the loss of Gingerbread's dedicated menu button)
I allowed the KK update on the Nexus in hopes that it would alleviate the screen issues but the payoff was not worth it IMHO.

So my first question is, with the LG being a bit different of an animal than the Nexus, is there any IMPORTANT benefit to upgrading the LG to Kit Kat?

I really do not care about having the 'latest & greatest' especially if it diminishes what I want to do with a device.

Secondly, I am looking forward to having a device again with SD card storage. Google has been doing everything it can to sabotage the sales of manufactures that offer this in their devices by crippling the capabilities of this feature in its OS; what limits will I find on the LG running JB?

I am greatly disappointed that the Nexus didn't work out; the size and form factor were nice, the screen brightness was good for sitting outside, a dedicated SD card slot would have been nice but I dont put a whole lot of apps on a device and I was still able to use a Meenova for playing external video and music off a microSD card. But between the lousy touch screen, Google futzing with things and my having to jump through hoops to play flash videos, I am hoping that LG 8.3 and going back to Jelly Bean will be at least a little less frustrating.

Thanks in advance for your insights and suggestions.

K

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Greetings one and all.

Spoiled by the near virgin Android experience of my Moto X I bought the Nexus 7 2013 for a tablet. But now I am done with it. It is bad enough that the screen response issues are irritating to work with, Google's habit of surprising me by futzing with things I wish they would leave alone is annoying as all hell.

Now I am moving on to the LG 8.3. Like the Nexus it will of course come with Jelly Bean; which not only am I perfectly fine with, after playing with Kit Kat I kinda prefer it (but then again I still grumble about the loss of Gingerbread's dedicated menu button)
I allowed the KK update on the Nexus in hopes that it would alleviate the screen issues but the payoff was not worth it IMHO.

So my first question is, with the LG being a bit different of an animal than the Nexus, is there any IMPORTANT benefit to upgrading the LG to Kit Kat?

I really do not care about having the 'latest & greatest' especially if it diminishes what I want to do with a device.

Secondly, I am looking forward to having a device again with SD card storage. Google has been doing everything it can to sabotage the sales of manufactures that offer this in their devices by crippling the capabilities of this feature in its OS; what limits will I find on the LG running JB?

I am greatly disappointed that the Nexus didn't work out; the size and form factor were nice, the screen brightness was good for sitting outside, a dedicated SD card slot would have been nice but I dont put a whole lot of apps on a device and I was still able to use a Meenova for playing external video and music off a microSD card. But between the lousy touch screen, Google futzing with things and my having to jump through hoops to play flash videos, I am hoping that LG 8.3 and going back to Jelly Bean will be at least a little less frustrating.

Thanks in advance for your insights and suggestions.

K
Have you taken a look at the Android Central review?
LG G Pad 8.3 review | Android Central

I don't have the device, but from what I've heard from others who have had it, it's a good device to own. If you are concerned with the possibility of ruining the experience by updating to KitKat then I would suggest sitting tight on Jellybean - especially if you feel comfortable with it.

Let us know what you decide on doing and if it's the Gpad 8.3 you go with, whether you enjoy it.

bigmac11

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I have the G Pad and think its really a great device. I'm on KitKat but may end up reverting to the original Jelly Bean. It's a real pita dealing with the constant bad sd card dismounts. Kit Kat does seem faster and more fluid.

If your planning on using the sd card I would stick with the original rom. Once you install a launcher and disable all the extra crap from LG you get a really good experience.

I've tried just about all the developer roms and for me the stock LG works the best without all the camera, gps and wifi issues. If your thinking about trying any other roms make sure you do it before you update to Kit Kat as they all seem to have dimming screen issues if not installed on Jelly Bean.

Good luck and enjoy your G Pad :)